pitbull info the truthis out/bsl should be out the ?

lee hanson

Banned
Ten Facts About Pit Bulls Every One Should Know
1. Pit Bulls are commonly used as therapy dogs. Whether they are visiting a senior care facility or helping someone recover from an emotional accident, Pit Bulls are making a mark as outstanding therapy dogs.

2. Pit Bulls are used in Search and Rescue work. One example of well known SAR Pit Bulls is Kris Crawford and her dogs. Kris and her dogs have helped save the lives of many people during their efforts. http://www.ForPitsSake.org

3. Pit Bulls serve as narcotic and bomb sniffing dogs. One Pit Bull, Popsicle (named that because he was found in an old freezer) has the largest recorded single drug find in Texas history. Read more about Popsicle here. Including how he found over 3,000 lbs of cocaine in Hildago, Texas.

4. Pit Bulls are great with kids. They weren't referred to as the "nanny's dog" for nothing that's for sure.

5. Pit Bulls are not human aggressive. The American Pit Bull Terrier as a breed is not human aggressive. In fact, quite the opposite is true of the breed. They are gentle and loving dogs. Like any dog individuals can be unsound and have behavior problems.

6. The Pit Bull was so popular in the early 1900's they were our mascot not only in World War One, but World War Two as well. They were featured on recruiting and propoganda posters during this time period.

7. Sgt. Stubby. A Pit Bull war hero. Stubby was wounded in action twice, he saved his entire platoon by warning them of a poison gas attack and he single handedly captured a German spy.

8. Pete the Pup on the orginal Little Rascals was a Pit Bull.

9. Pit Bulls score an 83.4% passing rate with the American Temperament Test Society. That's better than the popular Border Collie (a breed who scores 79.6%). View the ATTS stats here.

10. They are dogs not killing machines.

TheBadfish

Yes, these dogs are very built and have instincts. The problem isn't their genetics, it is people not respecting a powerful breed. Criminalization does not work. Look at the drug trade if you don't believe it. It grows daily. If we are so worried about killing people, lets make cigarettes illegal. Everyone knows they kill thousands of people a year. Automobiles as well and lets finally eradicate religion, the number one killer of people throughout the course of human history.

lee hanson

Banned
When my German Shorthair Pointer was 8 weeks old you could roll a stuffed toy across the floor and she would run over to it, raise her little paw and point at it. My treeing walker coonhound would sit in the floor and bark at a toy placed on a table where she couldn't get it. This was instinct that was bred into them over generations of selective breeding.
I believe if I rolled the same toy across the floor in front of an 8 week pitbull, he would grab it and tear all of the stuffing out of it. It is what his instincts tell him to do.

read my next post

lee hanson

Banned
From Near Death to Bomb Detection Dog: How a Pit Bull is Working Hard to Keep Us Safe
By Jason Mann
A short time ago the story you are about to read was brought to my attention. I was checking my email and saw an email with the subject, "A wonderful story about Neville."
Wonderful is right as it shows how things can quickly change in our world. You are about to read the story of Neville. A story of how a dog that was "dangerous" according to Canadian Breed Specific Legislation went from almost being put down to bomb detection dog here in the United States of America.
Without further ado... Here's the story...
Breed Specific Legislation Puts Neville in Danger
On August 25th 2005 Canada in their great wisdom passed a BSL law in Ontario banning American Pit Bull Terriers. This law put Neville in danger. Gerogina shelter in Ontario is where Neville was placed.
After the word spread about Neville he found a place to live. However, the 2500 transport needed wasn't working as planned and he was left to wait and possible be put down as rescue's and volunteers worked frantically to arrange for his transport.
An Angel from Above Offers Much Needed Help
When things were at their most desperate, when everyone involved was about to throw in the towel, a person stepped up and offered to fly Neville (and another dog Nitro) to the US.
After being Fostered for an Evening Neville Lands Safely in Seattle on March 20th 2005
Neville settled in for the long wait as a foster dog with his foster Mom. Much to her delight he was not underweight but in great shape and he was well trained. If every rescue APBT came like this we would have so much more success adopting them out!
His Foster mom had this to say about him, "Neville was just full of surprises. He was un reactive to other dogs, ignored my cats, loved my kids and was just a joy to have around. We discovered a dog that was extremely well behaved and had wonderful manners. No matter what I thought of he was completely unflappable. I even took him to a parade where he made a ton of new friends and never ceased to astound me. "
Neville was tossing out surprise after surprise to his foster mom and this is where Neville's story takes a turn.
Detection Dogs Wanted
Diane Jessup has an awesome program called, Law Dogs. Law Dogs is a program to find homeless APBT's and other bullies and test them for police work as detection dogs for drugs and bombs.
Nevilles foster mom was encouraged to contact Diane and see if she would take a look at Neville because Diane was searching for bomb sniffing candidates for the Washington State Patrol detection dog program.
In Neville's moms own words, " After I posted a few brags about him on a few forums several people suggested I contact Diane Jessup as she was looking for dogs to try out for the Washington State Patrol to be trained as bomb sniffing dogs. I thought it was highly unlikely but what the heck..I emailed Diane anyway's. "
Well, much to her surprise Diane contacted her quickly and after some scheduling Diane arrived at Neville's home to test him out.
His mom, said, "I fully expected to hear "what a nice dog, thanks for trying" and I am pretty sure she expected to say something along those lines. That did not happen. She liked Nev immediately and within a short time, before she even left my house, she was on the phone with her contact from the State Patrol, scheduling a time to meet."
Let's Hurry up and Wait
Diane's contact at the State Patrol evaluated Neville and was very pleased with him. He tried to contact his superior but he couldn't get a hold of him so Neville went home with Diane for more waiting.
I don't know, it seems to me that Neville should get a medal just for the waiting part! :eek:)
After a stay with Diane the officer had contacted her and Neville had to pass one more test before he could be accepted into the detection dog program.
More waiting for mom!
Neville Made it in with Flying Colors
Finally, after a long 24 hour wait word came that Neville had passed his final test with flying colors and he was accepted into the State Patrols program.
Neville immediately went into training and graduated in August 2005.
Imagine that for a moment. From a dog scheduled to be put to sleep simply for being a Pit Bull to Officer Neville of the Washington State Patrol in 5 months.
Office Neville Protects the Public
Today Officer Neville screens over 200 cars a day on the Washington State Ferry system to help keep us safe from bombs.
I am getting chills as I write this story because it's so exciting! Not to mention it is a shot in the arm for breed relations and the value of a rescue dog as an option besides buying from an expensive breeder.
Pay close attention to Neville's story. People paid lots of money, spent hundreds of hours of their personal time, all for a dog they didn't even know.

They deserve our gratitude and respect for their undying compassion in the face of a law that is foolish at best.
Do you have a rescue dog? Do you think they might make a great Law Dog?
I can't say enough about Diane Jessup's Law Dog program. Not only is this program going to save the lives of Pit Bulls and other bullies in need, it is going to help keep us safe too.
Bomb and drug dogs are in great demand. Departments spend upwards of $12,000 per dog and their resources are limited.
Law Dogs is a great program that gives back to society in a big way. Even though society is constantly trying to take our rights and our dogs from us, the Law Dogs Program is essential for helping restore the honor our dogs deserve.
While spots are limited (dogs with the right characteristics do not grow on trees) Diane has opened up evaluations from January 10th through February 5th 2006.

TheBadfish

You know if the argument was over a shooting then EVERYONE on this board would be ranting over thier gun rights, and blaming the individual and not the gun itself. No one blames the fork for you being obese. People are to blame for the treatment of animals. Not the animal itself. Social problem not genetic flaw.

lee hanson

Banned
When my German Shorthair Pointer was 8 weeks old you could roll a stuffed toy across the floor and she would run over to it, raise her little paw and point at it. My treeing walker coonhound would sit in the floor and bark at a toy placed on a table where she couldn't get it. This was instinct that was bred into them over generations of selective breeding.
I believe if I rolled the same toy across the floor in front of an 8 week pitbull, he would grab it and tear all of the stuffing out of it. It is what his instincts tell him to do.

if i put some up that my pup wants he well bark to:huh:

A gun, a fork, a car, a religion, a cigarette are all inanimate objects that human beings have control over. A dog has his own thought processes, insticts and intuitions that we can only try to regulate but cannot fully control.
Unfortunately, typical of these attacks, the dogs are unprovoked and a deep instinctive trigger mechanism in their psyche is released causing then to do what they were bred to do. Which is chase, grab and kill game.
A lady jogging in her neighborhood, a child playing in his yard did not make conscience decisions to be involved in a dog fight.

lee hanson

Banned
how meny of these events did you wittness

lee hanson

Banned
A gun, a fork, a car, a religion, a cigarette are all inanimate objects that human beings have control over. A dog has his own thought processes, insticts and intuitions that we can only try to regulate but cannot fully control.
Unfortunately, typical of these attacks, the dogs are unprovoked and a deep instinctive trigger mechanism in their psyche is released causing then to do what they were bred to do. Which is chase, grab and kill game.
A lady jogging in her neighborhood, a child playing in his yard did not make conscience decisions to be involved in a dog fight.

Known for their intelligence and loyalty American Pit Bull Terriers make excellent, loving and protective companions despite the unfair press they receive. A common question regarding the APBT is, "How is this breed different from the American Staffordshire Terrier?". In the eyes of the United Kennel Club, they are the same breed, but many disagree. Some AKC-registered American Staffordshire Terriers are dual-registered as American Pit Bull Terriers with the UKC; however, this draws criticism from many who point out that the bloodlines have been separate for too long for these to be considered the same breed. The AKC, on the other hand, does not allow a UKC-registered American Pit Bull Terrier to be registered as an American Staffordshire Terrier. To be dual-registered, the dog must first be an AKC-registered American Staffordshire Terrier and then it can be registered with the UKC as an APBT -- but not vice versa... Choose from a responsible breeder and make sure the puppy is properly socialized and handled. Solid training will produce a tranquil, good, obedient, companion dog

SouthernBeagles

Well this is what I think (scary me thinking, lol).
I can't really think of a good way to keep these dogs out of bad owners hands.
If you require the dogs to be registered in the county or city, the thugs won't bother with it anyway- just the law abiding folks will.
If you outlaw this breed, you are opening up the door for more govt control over all other breeds. Not to mention, you are punishing the responsible owners with good pit dogs just prevent attacks by dogs owned by bad owners.

So after much thought, I think if you own ANY BREED of dog that maules (not bites but mauls) a person unprovoked, you should be charged with attempted murder and I think the sentence should reflect on the severity of the attack ranging from 5 years (for neck and face injuries)to life (if the dog actually kills someone). I think the only exception would be if someone breaks into your home and the dog is protecting the inside of the dwelling or if the dog is defending you or your family. There would have to be common sense applied.

I think the average Joe would be less inclined to own a powerful breed withough fully educating themselves on the breed. I also think it would make people a WHOLE LOT MORE CAREFUL about how they train and confine the dog or who they let the dog around.

It will not stop people from owning these dogs, but it will punish them for their irresponsibility.

Lee? Is this something we can agree on?

NGaHunter

I want to know where Lee is Copying all of these post from....they can't be his words, there is punctuation in the post.

Come on Lee...fess up, where are you getting these post from?::ke:

NGaHunter

Pit Bulls score an 83.4% passing rate with the American Temperament

Just checked that web site...pit bulls are not even listed

try again

TheBadfish

I believe that some people should not own this breed the same way that some people should not own a firearm. Responsibility goes along way. Socialization, control, and proper raising makes for good pets. I just don't believe a dog with wake up and decide, "today, I want to maul someone". And don't believe everything you hear through the media. Their job is to ruffle your feathers not to tell the whole truth because drama sells.

gadeerwoman

Biggest problem is with idiot owners of ALL breeds who continue to allow their dogs to run free at will. It's not always the breed but the fact that some people should not be allowed to breed !

SouthernBeagles

I agree with you but just like owning a fire arm. If you kill or attempt to kill someone, you go to prison. Owning a dog that mauls someone is like owning a gun with a mind of its own. Shouldn't the owner do life if they own a dog that kills someone? Shouldn't they be charged with attempted murder if the dog just mauls someone?
To heck with the media- I think people should be held responsible for the choices they make-In this case the choice to own a dog capable of an unprovoked mauling or killing. Don't really care what the breed is.

biker13

Well here he is,Vladimir Gestapo,blue/fawn,ADBA 9110M-...He ain't just a Pit he's a member of the family.Think the world of him.

Attachments

• dog pics 001.jpg
    dog pics 001.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 177
  • dog pics 002.jpg
    dog pics 002.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 190

lee hanson

Banned
Pit Bulls score an 83.4% passing rate with the American Temperament

Just checked that web site...pit bulls are not even listed

try again