Places to metal detect

Zbrown210

I metal detect for a hobby and am looking for some new locations to go. I thought I'd put this out there to see if anyone had any historical property, farmland, or just any property that I could come detect on or that other detectorists would like to go to together. I always fill in my holes and am respectful of the landowner and their property.

Darien1

I used to go to some of the old schools around Brunswick and Glynn County. Found a lot and I mean a lot of dropped change but never any silver coins.

Darien1

I used to go to some of the old schools around Brunswick and Glynn County. Found a lot and I mean a lot of dropped change but never any silver coins.

DannyW

I used to go to my sub-division pool/tennis courts. We had swim team and tennis matches there during the summer and people liked to sit on the grassy banks. Found a lot of coins but nothing very valuable, beyond face value. Kinda boring really. And you cover the area pretty quick.

Old schools intrigue me also. I went to one in Rabun county that closed in the 1950's but it was so overgrown with vines etc that it was nearly impossible to dig when I got a hit. Very frustrating.

There are a lot of places I would like to try, lakes, parks, etc, but usually public lands expressly prohibit detecting. Private land is about your only option.

Zbrown210

I used to go to my sub-division pool/tennis courts. We had swim team and tennis matches there during the summer and people liked to sit on the grassy banks. Found a lot of coins but nothing very valuable, beyond face value. Kinda boring really. And you cover the area pretty quick.

Old schools intrigue me also. I went to one in Rabun county that closed in the 1950's but it was so overgrown with vines etc that it was nearly impossible to dig when I got a hit. Very frustrating.

There are a lot of places I would like to try, lakes, parks, etc, but usually public lands expressly prohibit detecting. Private land is about your only option.

Yeah that's what I'm looking for is private land people would let me detect on.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
For what it’s worth, I’ve seen a rock wall at pinelog that’s made me think of history and the thought crossed my mind of detecting. I don’t even have a metal detector, but have played with one and may one day get one. Anywho, all I remember is it is about 50 to 100 yards off the main road…..right side if your going North and slightly elevated from rd view, I think. It’s not a high wall(2’?), but it is a long wall and was obviously constructed some time ago. I bet there are many places like that at your favorite or closest WMA. It’s public land and you’ll need a lands pass unless you got a hunting license……just a thought.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I may have missed it, it I’ve never seen anything listing detecting as a prohibited activity on a WMA nor NF

Jack Flynn

Go to Facebook and search South Carolina Dirt Diggers. I'm one of the founders of that page. You can find and get in on some of the best hunts/pay hunts in the country bar none. I don't detect any more. The places I loved are in the ghettos and it is just too confrontational now. When you HAVE to carry, you probably don't need to be there.

westcobbdog

I detect some down in East Point right on 285 just above Camp Creek Pkwy, my pioneer ancestors Cherokee Land lottery property. Now a forgotten strip of land with a cemetery on it. Old home foundation is there and also a huge apt complex next door. Have to open carry like Clint Eastwood and keep my head on a swivel if you know what I mean.

Zbrown210

I detect some down in East Point right on 285 just above Camp Creek Pkwy, my pioneer ancestors Cherokee Land lottery property. Now a forgotten strip of land with a cemetery on it. Old home foundation is there and also a huge apt complex next door. Have to open carry like Clint Eastwood and keep my head on a swivel if you know what I mean.

Oh yeah I'm aware, I've been to a few places like that

SarahFair

I wonder if you couldn't use old maps to find old (100+ years old) city dumps in old historic towns.
I know a guy that hunts bottles that way.