Planting my first dove field this year with the kasco drill...question. I can't find any clearfield sunflowers but

rstallings1979

the local feed/seed store does have black oiled seeds (Shafer). Any reason not to use those if I am putting out a pre emergent mix as well? Also what rate would you plant per acre spaced at around 25 inches per row? I would order some Clearfield by mail but I want to get them in the ground this weekend.

doomtrpr_z71

Shafer sunflowers are usually bird food, not seed grade, with the soil temps we have you might want to rethink planting this weekend with feed grade. Just remember if you do plant them you don't have anything to spray for broadleaf weeds after they come up so you better do a good burn down with the preemergent.

Big7

The Oracle
Hope you are planting Brown Top and Proso.

I never did put out sunflower when I had dirt for a Dove field.

rstallings1979

Shafer sunflowers are usually bird food, not seed grade, with the soil temps we have you might want to rethink planting this weekend with feed grade. Just remember if you do plant them you don't have anything to spray for broadleaf weeds after they come up so you better do a good burn down with the preemergent.
Found some clearfield finally so I am good to go. Set me back a couple of hundred dollars.

Mackie889

Found some clearfield finally so I am good to go. Set me back a couple of hundred dollars.
Not a dove field expert and planning to plant my first field soon. I have been told by some to make sure I plant some rows of benne (sesame). Anyone have any info (good or bad) on that?

Killer Kyle

I plant Clearfields at 4 lbs to the acre. Makes a nice, full stand. That's exactly the rate you need to be at.

Killer Kyle

Not a dove field expert and planning to plant my first field soon. I have been told by some to make sure I plant some rows of benne (sesame). Anyone have any info (good or bad) on that?

Sesame matures and drops seed later. It won't do anything for you by the opener most likely, but it will get you some birds later on in the season.
Depending on where you are and when you plant, sesame could attract birds for you well into the late season or even January. Lots of variables, but if you are planning on a late shoot, it could work for you.