2022 Dove Field Thread

sportsman94

For now working the land, learning about the process, getting lots of tractor time, and earning literally months of enjoyment growing and tending it is better than the hunt itself. Shooting some birds is simply the cherry on top!

I’m not sure about you, but the peace of mind of shooting a small, private field is worth the work and money. I generally don’t have near as much fun on bigger fields cause I’m too worried about getting shot. Not to mention watching all that hard work come together when birds start coming into the field

ChattBuck

I’m not sure about you, but the peace of mind of shooting a small, private field is worth the work and money. I generally don’t have near as much fun on bigger fields cause I’m too worried about getting shot. Not to mention watching all that hard work come together when birds start coming into the field

You got it. Hit the nail on the head.

There's a great sense of accomplishment with it as well. Four years ago yesterday I bought this little farm and had my first ever tractor delivered that day as well. Had NO CLUE what I was doing or getting into but I've had a fantastic time learning and doing this field during that time. Been great fun.

I've said it numerous times . . . THIS forum has taught me more than any other single source of information. Very much thankful for the width and breadth of knowledge/expertise here and for the willingness of so many to share what they know.

Big7

The Oracle
All I know is I won't be going to a WMA again if I can help it.

If anyone knows of a GOOD field to shoot on, I will happily pay. And.. I got 1 maybe 2 more responsible hunters that will do the same.

Mama and my Uncle sold our family farm when Daddy passed away. I'm hurting for places to hunt and even shoot targets.

And... I've done a bunch of successful Dove fields over the years. I can run farm equipment and I ain't scared to work, if that helps.

If you're interested, please PM me a number and I will call you.

Thanks.

ChattBuck

Are you feeding birds already?

I did put out some sunflower seeed and corn three weeks ago. Didn't see a single dove . . . .but the turkey, deer, rabbits, squirrels, were very appreciative. Going to try again this weekend.

Dang sunflower seed is $$$$ this year.

Gut_Pile

I did put out some sunflower seeed and corn three weeks ago. Didn't see a single dove . . . .but the turkey, deer, rabbits, squirrels, were very appreciative. Going to try again this weekend.

Dang sunflower seed is $$$$ this year.

We started running a feeder filled with bird seed a month ago. Goes off twice a day. Dove numbers have really gone up over the last month

Foster

Toast millet or bird seed in a big wok (cheap at the restaurant supply store) over a turkey fryer burner and it will last on the ground without germinating.

ChattBuck

I cut a my first few strips yesterday. The Sunflower side of the field is pretty clean and looks good. The corn side completely regrew last years millet. Rows aren't near clean enough.

I'm considering just tilling up the the corn rows but that's just going to replant the millet, correct?
I did spray the strips with glysphosphate hoping for a kill of all the weeds on adjacent few rows.

Happy to hear suggestions. I don't have a disc harrow but I do have a heavy drag harrow. May give it a go.

Haven't seen more than 10 birds in the field at a time yet. Time will tell.

Attachments

• DoveField22Aug7.1.jpg
    DoveField22Aug7.1.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 64
  • DoveField22Aug7.2.jpg
    DoveField22Aug7.2.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 65

Latest posts