2022 Dove Field Thread

Bigearl68

Would like to note I'm FAR from an expert. 90% of what I've done in this, my fourth year ever doing a field, I've learned from people on here. So please don't hesitate to critique, offer suggestions, teach me things. I'm all ears. It won't offend me.

The addition of the Dual magnum this year was something I was taught her last year as I battled weeds. I'm very open to any and all learning opportunities.
You can use Dual at planting on your corn as well. It will help the most with grass but will also give you some added control over a few different broadleaf species as well. Atrazine is another good cheap option for pre plant or over the top. 32 oz at planting will give you some good residual broadleaf protection. Round up alone over the top of corn isn’t goin to get the job done on some of your broadleaf’s. Things like pigweed will simply power right through. 5-6 oz of dicamba mixed with roundup when the corn is 8-10 in high will mop up the weed escapes you might have. Be careful with dicamba in a field close to sunflowers. Wait until the wind is blowing away from the sunflowers at 3-8 mph then spray the corn. Dicamba drift is real and will hammer those sunflowers if you don’t watch the wind. Don’t spray first thing in the morning or right before dark either. That’s when the air inverts and that chemical will suspend and drift all over the place.

ChattBuck

You can use Dual at planting on your corn as well. It will help the most with grass but will also give you some added control over a few different broadleaf species as well. Atrazine is another good cheap option for pre plant or over the top. 32 oz at planting will give you some good residual broadleaf protection. Round up alone over the top of corn isn’t goin to get the job done on some of your broadleaf’s. Things like pigweed will simply power right through. 5-6 oz of dicamba mixed with roundup when the corn is 8-10 in high will mop up the weed escapes you might have. Be careful with dicamba in a field close to sunflowers. Wait until the wind is blowing away from the sunflowers at 3-8 mph then spray the corn. Dicamba drift is real and will hammer those sunflowers if you don’t watch the wind. Don’t spray first thing in the morning or right before dark either. That’s when the air inverts and that chemical will suspend and drift all over the place.

I've got some atrazine. Can I tank mix it with the round up when I spray the 10-12 inch corn?

Dicamba sounds like it may be too risky for me!

doomtrpr_z71

I've got some atrazine. Can I tank mix it with the round up when I spray the 10-12 inch corn?

Dicamba sounds like it may be too risky for me!
As long as you dont wait, it would be fine to tank mix them. Be aware that roundup and atrazine needs good agitation to mix together.

ChattBuck

As long as you dont wait, it would be fine to tank mix them. Be aware that roundup and atrazine needs good agitation to mix together.

Would a bouncy bumpy ride sloshing the tank back and forth on the way down the side of a large ridge from the water supply to the field in question work? Or should I take a boat paddle to it?

Bigearl68

We’ve never had a problem mixing roundup and atrazine, but it’s always sprayed out pretty much immediately. Also most of your Gly products out there already have a surfactant in them, so no real need to add more.

ChattBuck

I'm not usually a nervous and anxious guy but every year this planting stresses me out. Worries me to death. Saturday afternoon (six days after planting) I found this and was able to take a deep breath. Always make me happy seeing these sunflowers come up.

Corn started appearing Sunday (7 days post plant) as the corn side of the field started coming through.

Dove22.1week.jpg

ChattBuck

Did my post emergent spraying this weekend 5/15/22. Corn was at about 8-10 inches and sunflowers at the 4-6 leaf stage and about 6 inches tall.

Sunflowers - IMOX (generic Beyond) 6 oz in 25 gallons water with 3 pints of nitrogen containing surfactant per acre

Corn - it's roundup ready. Did 32 oz generic roundup, 2 quarts atrazine, 3 pints surfactant in 25 gallons water per acre.

I'll assume it's too quick to see results in 3 days.

Corn side of the field had a ton of ragweed last year. It's only just started to come up. Hoping I've knocked it back a good bit. But I may have to spot spray with a backpack sprayer to eliminate some in the coming weeks.

My corn meter seems to have done a better job with spacing/singulation with my Deere 7000 planter. It's got adjustable brush on the meter and may try it for the sunflowers next year as the non-brush sunflower meters did a TERRIBLE job with singulation. Dove22.5.18.1.jpgDove22.5.18.2.jpgDove22.5.18.3.jpg

Bigearl68

Might consider splitting up that atrazine application up. 1 quart at planting and then 1 quart over the top. I personally only put 1 quart at planting and that’s it. Also what kind of surfactant are you using? 3 pints in 25 gallons of solution. That’s WAY more than needed and you’re basically just wasting it. 8 oz of any NIS per 25 gallons is adequate.

doomtrpr_z71

Might consider splitting up that atrazine application up. 1 quart at planting and then 1 quart over the top. I personally only put 1 quart at planting and that’s it. Also what kind of surfactant are you using? 3 pints in 25 gallons of solution. That’s WAY more than needed and you’re basically just wasting it. 8 oz of any NIS per 25 gallons is adequate.
Not if he's using ams with a surfactant

ChattBuck

It was a liquid nitrogen containing surfactant and that's the rate they recommended for application. Really only needed the nitrogen for the sunflower side with the IMOX (generic beyond) but did it on the corn side as well as I was out of "regular" non ionic surfactant.

ChattBuck

And the crop looks good! Had any rain your way?

Got about 2/10 of an inch last weekend. Hoping for a good rain later this weekend into Monday. Here's precip map through 7am Monday from one model (GFS)

qpf_acc.us_ov.png

Bigearl68

Ah I see. Never use AMS unless I’m sprayer Liberty and we only planted that variety of beans one year. Never use liquid N as a sticker either except for burndown with Paraquat. We use a surfactant made by “TRC”(Texas refinery company) and that stuff has worked really well. Comparable to Wetsoil by Shaffers. Both will do you a good job.

doomtrpr_z71

Splitting the atrazine would allow for more atrazine to be applied, 1qt at planting, 1.5 with the second application, but doing one shot at 2qts is fine with a clean start.

ChattBuck

I left about an acre between the corn and sunflowers to plant some millet. Got it tilled up this weekend and with the rain coming on and off this week wanted to get it in the ground yesterday. Raced some storm cells home after work, hooked up the spreader, and went to work.

In my rush to get going I forgot to put the hitch pins in. . . . and my spreader fell off as I was pulling into the field. Spilled a good portion of my seed but luckily didn't damage the tractor, the PTO shaft, or the spreader. Good reminder that slow is smooth . . . smooth is fast.

Anyway, got the seed put out and then got the area fertilized with 100lbs of triple 19 (it got a good dose of this 6 weeks ago as well). Rain started falling as I pulled the tractor back into my little shed. Perfectly timed. Got about 1/3 inch over night and forecast is for an inch over the next 48 hrs.

Planted corn where I had millet last year and the "volunteer" millet this year is coming up gang busters. It's all the light green in the second picture. I plan to just leave it and mow it all down before the season opener unless anyone has a better idea for me.

Dove22.June7.1.jpgDove22.June7.2.jpg