Poll: Should DNR Officers Wear Blaze Orange????

Should DNR Agents Wear Blaze Orange???

• Yes

Votes: 262 87.3%
  • No

Votes: 27 9.0%
  • Don't Know/Don't Care

Votes: 11 3.7%

• Total voters

JerkBait

Banned
if we have to wear it so the gw can spot us better then they should have to wear it to give us an equal chance at spottin them and getting away. you know, fair chase.

will hunt 4 food

Who said they think they are above the law? The law says anyone "hunting" must wear orange. They aren't hunting. They are working. So they are not breaking any laws by not wearing one the way a cop is when he's speeding.

Purely from a safety standpoint, yes, they should wear it. I voted yes on the poll, but based on safety, not that any law applies to them that they should be following. There are lots of idiots out there that will shoot at movement, no matter how pathetic that fact is.
They are hunting poachers:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Sorry just had to. I voted yes for their safety it's more important than catching law breakers.IMO

Jack Ryan

Several folks have commented about this, and many more have probably thought about it over the last few days.

So what is your opinion? Should it become a standard operating procedure of the DNR that its officers wear blaze orange when in the field during hunting season?

When they are hunting they should wear it just like every one else. When they are not hunting it should be their own preference if they wear it or not, just like every one else.

GA DAWG

if we have to wear it so the gw can spot us better then they should have to wear it to give us an equal chance at spottin them and getting away. you know, fair chase.
Thats what I'M saying..I could atleast take mine off and try to hide from them:bounce:

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Their choice..........certainly their judgement.......not required....only a choice.

Coastie

You don't have to wear it so the GW can spot you better, you wear it so somebody doesn't mistake you for a deer or a bear. When I was a kid, the standard outfit for hunters was red or red and black wool pants and jacket, there was no law requiring it, they wore it because that was what was available and wool keeps you warm even when it gets wet. The blaze orange color became standard when they figured out that it could be seen even by those that are color blind to certain other colors and for the most part it has helped to reduce the number of accidental deaths amongst hunters over the past 45 years.
Everybody seems so convinced that this GW was not wearing an orange vest, yet the articles that I have read do not state what he was wearing, perhaps I missed one that did say he wasn't but so far there hasn't been anything that I have seen to the contrary. This GW has 30 years on the job, he is certainly an experienced officer. The place he was going into was a waterfowl area, he was likely not expecting to find a deer hunter so if he did not have on an orange vest, perhaps that would explain it.
If he was shot at 6 PM, legal hunting time had expired 10 minutes before at 5:50 PM based on the information of area where he was, sunset in the Savannah area on the 28th was at 5:20 PM so there are a lot of factors that have not been fully explained.
Most of the GWs that I know do wear blaze orange when they are on routine patrol during the deer season but they may take it off if the situation warrants.

chuckb7718

A blanket "yes" will not cover all situations, but in my opinion, for the most part, they should. I know our resident gw does, but because of heavy cover, he's still invisible untill he gets to within about 50 yards of one of my stands.

quackman

In reference to the question"should game wardens wear orange" I found out that the Ranger shot in South Ga. was actually checking duck hunters, walking down a railroad track to a beaver pond, the "hunter" was sitting on the railroad tracks in a chair and shot him after legal hunting hours (shot around 6pm)!!! The law requires orange be worn while you deer hunt, I spoke with a ranger where I live and they are raquired to wear orange while checking deer hunters, not duck hunters:cool::cool:

LIB MR ducks

You hit the nail on the head...

In reference to the question"should game wardens wear orange" I found out that the Ranger shot in South Ga. was actually checking duck hunters, walking down a railroad track to a beaver pond, the "hunter" was sitting on the railroad tracks in a chair and shot him after legal hunting hours (shot around 6pm)!!! The law requires orange be worn while you deer hunt, I spoke with a ranger where I live and they are raquired to wear orange while checking deer hunters, not duck hunters:cool::cool:

So I guess all of you that are saying Rangers should always wear orange have yours on when you are duck and dove hunting? FWIW Rangers are required by policy to wear orange when checking deer hunters.

kry226

The only GW I ever had walk up on me during a hunt (Texas WMA) was wearing an orange vest. They certainly should while in the woods during the season, unless staked out trying to catch big time poaching operations/offenders. Otherwise, there's not much reason to be in the woods. Just hang out at the hunter's truck if they want to check. That's the safest and least intrusive tactic.

And they always come back to the truck.

pope and young

Yes it is the law, so what makes it right for them to break the law???? Not very good public relations....... It is stupid, its like a cop going to a know gun fight with out a vest or a gun............ Not smart.....

I think the entire orange vest issue should be left up to the person. Its just like motorcycle helmets that should be left up to the rider. If you are stupid enough to go in the woods without an orange vest and you get blasted then its your fault. If you ride a motorcycle down the interstate and get your brains scrambled then thats your fault.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
FWIW Rangers are required by policy to wear orange when checking deer hunters.

I thought it was required all the time during firearms deer season when checking hunters of any kind.

Throwback

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
FWIW Rangers are required by policy to wear orange when checking deer hunters.

Just thought that I would re-post this fact for the multitudes who seem to have missed it the first go 'round.

Rangers are required by policy to wear orange when checking deer hunters.

01Foreman400

Staff member
Just thought that I would re-post this fact for the multitudes who seem to have missed it the first go 'round.

Rangers are required by policy to wear orange when checking deer hunters.

And so should their dogs. :bounce:

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
QUICK!! SOMEONE NEAR A PHONE CALL DNR AND ASK THEM WHAT THEIR POLICY IS ON THIS!!

t