Posting stream locations

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Finally, some rational input.
Stream ratings and access points are well publicized by the state(s) and trout forums and even apps like “trout routes” and I don’t see any difference in pressure.
In fact, numbers seem down a bit.
Greg
Then, you ain't out there on the creek seeing it, then. There are now cyclic swarms that can be traced directly back to social media spot burns. The stream stuff you're talking about the state publicizing is a bunch of put-and -take doughbelly fisheries and bigger waters. Nobody in here much cares about those. They're already ruined. The smaller wild and native trout streams are the ones that get ruined for everybody.

Resica

Hey, I'll go fishing with you any time, dude. I'll take you to my spot. :cheers:
Our turkey season started this past Saturday. My buddy and one of the owners of our camp is up all week to turkey hunt and fly fish. Lots of rain. His go to big stream is blown out. He told me this evening that it snowed today with some rain mixed in.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Our turkey season started this past Saturday. My buddy and one of the owners of our camp is up all week to turkey hunt and fly fish. Lots of rain. His go to big stream is blown out. He told me this evening that it snowed today with some rain mixed in.
We had snow in a few places around here today, too. And last Sunday. supposed to be freezing or below tomorrow night. Winter will just not go away this year.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Florida boys and Yankees.. nuff said
Everyone should find their own spot! A great resource, probably one of the best you'll Find.

Delorme Atlas and Gazetteer...is another great resource. Western NC and N GA is represented well, I like the elevation lines that show fall over distance of any "blue line" stream and it's potential fishability.

North Georgia Mountains Pocket Companion by Brian Boyd lists some of the coolest places...fishing and just sightseeing.

Found a lot of spots just referencing these publications and website. Most of which I'll never get a chance to return too!

Gbr5pb

Had some good spots years ago when could walk all day and before the explosion of posted signs!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A little clarification, too: We're not talking about saying that you were fishing the Chattahoochee or caught a mess of stockers from the Talulla River or something. Those are well known, and big enough bodies of water to take some pressure.

What I'm talking about are the little creeks and out-of-the way places that hold wild and native trout. Many of the creeks I fish, one person fishing up that creek will put every trout in it down for hours, because the ones you don't catch or miss are spooked by you wading up the creek, and are gone into hiding. A creek that size is stressed heavily by two people a day fishing it. Make that day after day, and it fizzles out pretty quickly. Fish can't eat or spawn when they're hiding under a rock all the time.

Resica

A little clarification, too: We're not talking about saying that you were fishing the Chattahoochee or caught a mess of stockers from the Talulla River or something. Those are well known, and big enough bodies of water to take some pressure.

What I'm talking about are the little creeks and out-of-the way places that hold wild and native trout. Many of the creeks I fish, one person fishing up that creek will put every trout in it down for hours, because the ones you don't catch or miss are spooked by you wading up the creek, and are gone into hiding. A creek that size is stressed heavily by two people a day fishing it. Make that day after day, and it fizzles out pretty quickly. Fish can't eat or spawn when they're hiding under a rock all the time.
I completely agree with NCHillbilly. The big streams everyone fishes everyone knows about . Most of the streams I fish are close to narrow enough if I was still athletic I might be able to run and jump across. The only people I tell about what I did are my friends. They don't even fish those same streams but they are not telling someone about my adventures. I'm strictly a wild , native trout stream fisherman. Occasionally I go with them on the bigger waters, but not often. I go in the middle of the woods and love it. If I see fresh boot prints or water splashed on a rock from someone, I leave, it doesn't happen often. With so many miles of wild trout streams, it's easy to find another.

Resica

Most of the streams I fish are on State Forest land or run through State Game Lands. Don't normally run into posted property.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Do not need stream names. Are there any wild trout in the WMA near Helen, GA?
And plenty in the Chattahoochee National Forest. Get the hint.. ;)
Chattahoochee-Oconee-National-Forest.jpg

huntfish

I used to hike a lot in CO and flyfish hard to get to areas, and I'd show guys pics of the fish...whenever I got asked where it was I'd pull out one of the free fishing CO maps and circle spots on the Arkansas down near Salida where you pretty much have to float and give them the map. Then I'd fish 100 miles closer to Denver where I caught the pigs...just being helpful and all...

Guys would come back the next week and say, man that was some tough fishing...hard to wade that and we didn't see a fish rise...

You don't say?

:)
I fished some of the same water near Salida. There are some pigs but you sure will earn them!

huntfish

Do not need stream names. Are there any wild trout in the WMA near Helen, GA?
Yes, some are easy to get to, some you need to work for. Get a map and look at the blue lines along with topography. Find an access point, and start walking. Mind you, you'll likely encounter yellow jackets, bears, and copperheads. Sometimes you strike out, sometimes you hit a home run. It's all in the adventure. I'd bring a fresh flashlight too, cause you'll likely overlook how fast it gets dark and it gets dark up in the hills.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
That place is REAL EASY ta find...
Simple as that.
:bounce: