powder vs. pellets

RipperIII

I want to get into this, and I've heard some derisive remarks about pellets not being accurate,. or the "lazy man's way"
I don't want to give up 3" of accuracy at 150 yds for convenience...

kmaxwell3

I have a Marlin 50 cal it will shoot both exactly the same. Pellets are alot easier to handle.

F

FrontierGander

Would you trade those 3" groups @ 150 yards for my 1 1/2" 3 shot group @ 200 yards with 105gr pyrodex rs loose powder?

Loose powder allows you to adjust your loads a little at a time and fine tune things to where they should be for the best accuracy. Pellets are also inconsistent in weight, but for normal 100 yard shooting, it probably wouldnt make that big of a difference.

F

FrontierGander

of course you can. I use Lanes Powder Tubes,

Switching to loose powder isnt a guarantee that you can shrink your groups, but it does give you to ability to adjust and fine tune your loads like i said earlier. Plus the cost is a lot cheaper.

In Colorado, we can not use pellets. This is everything i carry with me in the field while hunting.
mountainrifle100y.jpg

These are also the powder tubes that i mentioned, As are the tubes above:
Picture612.jpg

AliBubba

I have been a pellet-guy for 3 years shooting 2-3 in at 100 yrds. Two weeks ago, although I had secured my pellets in my speed-loader, two of three loads where shattered during a hog hunt in N GA... I am going with powder starting March. I hear Black Horn 209 is the way to go.

Doyle

Another reason to use loose (other than the ability to fine-tune your loads) is that pellets are fairly notorious for inconsistency. In muzzleloader shooting, consistency is everything. Consistency in the amount of powder, the force that you seat the bullet with, the cleanliness of the barrel, etc. If you deviate from that consistency, your groups will start opening up.

hawgrider1200

I read once in a gun book right after the pellets came out that the reason for the inconsistance is that some of ur powder will flake off the pellets. I've never tried em.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
for me, the ability to fine tune a load made a difference. there was a big difference in accuracy and loose is cheaper which was a plus. to each his own, but i really like my loose powder .

DS7418

Gone But Not Forgotten
I load the first round in the barrel with loose,, then back it up with pellets (2 only) in my speed-loaders.
Usually that first shot is your meat shot anyways..
110gr loose "Pyrodex" over 275gr.HP 45calb. Powerbelts.
then backups are 2-50gr triple seven pellets over same bullet.
most of my shots are within 100yrds.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
ripper, with all other things being equal, loose will be more accurate and more consistent. also as other have said it gives you the ability to fine tune your load to whatever you want instead of what the pellets force you to do.

I am so used to the powder now that even if BH209 went away today I would go to loose 777 and not go back to the pellets.

I use the same as frontier for reloads. go here to see the contact info

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=468524

RipperIII

I've never even fired this thing yet, but if i like it, I'll try the loose powder after i've burned up the pellets.
do you like BH209 because it's a "clean" powder?
I scrubbed out the bore and breech, cleaned and greased the breech plug, but haven't broken it down for a thorough cleaning yet.
My hunt starts Thursday, i plan on spending an hour or so at the range,...swabbing the barrel after each shot,...then on to the hunt.
Do you think that will be sufficient?

hawgrider1200

groups

I've never even fired this thing yet, My hunt starts Thursday, i plan on spending an hour or so at the range,...swabbing the barrel after each shot,...then on to the hunt.
Do you think that will be sufficient?
Not if u've never shot the rifle yet, an hour is just enough time to shoot a little but not enough time to work up a proper load and bullet combination. If u r as slow at loading one as I am. Before u go to the range u might wanna pre-stage some different loads in some tubes so u'll have that much done at least prior to the range time. U might luck out and find a load that is very accurate right off the bat and not have to worry about things like tuning and stuff. In my 54 cal Renegade I load 110 grains of real black because that's a max load and I only use the gun to hunt deer so I want the max stopping power, it just so happens that it also cuts good groups with that load. So I'm happy with that. If I experimented with it more I might b able to make bullet holes touch each other in my group. I don't need that kinda accuracy but it'd b good to know.

tv_racin_fan

IF you intend to use the pellets then what you want to do is try two pellets and see what sort of group you get. It really should be good enough for 75 yards or so. Later when you have the time and loose powder then you can worry about workin up a load.

Make sure to run a couple dry patches down the bore to make sure bore is dry. Then pop a cap or two to make sure the ignition channel is clean. Drop in two pellets and a projectile then run the rod down and note where it ends up (you need to mark it when you have worked up a load to make sure you do not accidentally double load). Shoot, then run a wet patch down er and two dry and pop a cap to make sure the channel is dry (you are going to want to do this every single shot in the beginning). I like to make some pre saturated patches for range use, any sort of water tight container will work and windex is fine for the juice. Three shots then see what sort of group ya have, adjust sights if needed and shoot three more. If ya have more than one style of projectile then do this with each type and then use whichever one gives the best grouping with two pellets for hunting (there really should be no reason to use more than two BUT you may want to give three a try just to see if your rifle likes that load better). Once you have decided on a projectile for this trip then shoot as much as you like for fun and because you can never practice to much. An hour is going to be pushing it but it can be done.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Powder. True blackpowder. If it ain`t broke, I ain`t gonna try to fix it.

tv_racin_fan

Powder. True blackpowder. If it ain`t broke, I ain`t gonna try to fix it.

I totally agree, however in this case the man was given some pellets and some powerbelts to go with his rifle. I say use em up and then don't buy any more of em (the pellets I mean).

I prefer true black and flint ignition but some fellers like them inlines and that BH209 powder. From the remarks I have "heard", if I was shootin an inline then BH209 would be my powder.

collardncornbread

My newest is a t.c. omega. If I shoot 4 rounds with pellets. without cleaning-I have lost all sense of acuracy, I was told the pellets build a ring close to the primer inside the barrell. I know they get real hard to load.
I went back and tried loose ffg pyrodex. I found it much more forgiving. with a scope. 175 yds-4" group.
I get more shots for the $. Normally in deer hunting you dont need a follow up shot.And if you do-Well I admit sometimes there is two deer. Schucks-just line them up-and get both with one shot. Like I said. In Deer hunting-Black powder. You really dont need to be too concerned about a fast reload.
So try both in your rifle. All rifles are slightly different. Mine just dont like pellets.

hawgrider1200

Accuracy??

My newest is a t.c. omega. If I shoot 4 rounds with pellets. without cleaning-I have lost all sense of acuracy, I was told the pellets build a ring close to the primer inside the barrell. I know they get real hard to load.
I went back and tried loose ffg pyrodex. I found it much more forgiving. with a scope. 175 yds-4" group.
I get more shots for the $. Normally in deer hunting you dont need a follow up shot.And if you do-Well I admit sometimes there is two deer. Schucks-just line them up-and get both with one shot. Like I said. In Deer hunting-Black powder. You really dont need to be too concerned about a fast reload.
So try both in your rifle. All rifles are slightly different. Mine just dont like pellets.

If I shoot 4 rounds in any of my bp rifles, I sure can't load up another one untill I get some of that fouling out of the barrel. Hard to find out if it's accurate when u can't stuff another ball in the barrel.

DonArkie

Would you trade those 3" groups @ 150 yards for my 1 1/2" 3 shot group @ 200 yards with 105gr pyrodex rs loose powder?

Loose powder allows you to adjust your loads a little at a time and fine tune things to where they should be for the best accuracy. Pellets are also inconsistent in weight, but for normal 100 yard shooting, it probably wouldnt make that big of a difference.

I agree, I perfer loose powder. It gives you the shooter to find what your ML likes and performs at it best Speed loader make it easy to take them extra shots to the woods or field.
extra4981.jpg