Power bill

Gator89

My bill for June was a few pennies short of $475 running a heat pump with the thermostat set for 73. 3000+ sq ft house built in '89.

Big oak to the southeast on the neighbor's and a decent oak on NW corner of my lot.

I did bump the T up to 74, the wife has not complained so far.

Gator89

Usually it’s because they finished the basement and need a third unit to cover all three floors. Glad to be down to the two. :flag:

My house in GA had a basement/garage with a small finished space for office, etc. I used it for my reloading and gun tinkering room. It never got hot enough to need AC.

We did have two HVAC units one for each of the two upper levels. I had to replace both in the 5.5 years I lived there.

Core Lokt

Forgot to mention our house is 1900sq heated and cooled. All electric except hot water is gas. Another thing I'm glad we did was install Low E windows throughout the house. They have come along way with windows. You can put your hand on the window on the inside and feel no heat on these hot days.

I have zero shade as well by choice though. Last place we had on the property was half shaded and over 25 years had to Replace a few pieces of roof and shingles because it wouldn't dry out a lot of the time.

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
Forgot to mention our house is 1900sq heated and cooled. All electric except hot water is gas. Another thing I'm glad we did was install Low E windows throughout the house. They have come along way with windows. You can put your hand on the window on the inside and feel no heat on these hot days.

I have zero shade as well by choice though. Last place we had on the property was half shaded and over 25 years had to Replace a few pieces of roof and shingles because it wouldn't dry out a lot of the time.
Thanks for the info in this thread. We got a house build started and I had about decided on the spray foam. We are doing about 1750sf with a metal roof and a porch on three sides to shade the windows. Our builder is recommending a dehumidifier as part of the HVAC system, curious if you went that route too?

Core Lokt

We did not and the humidity is usually 52-55% and has never been an issue. It is dang sure humid outside though...

Do it man, spray foam and low E windows are a must IMHO. Put insulation in walls where you want a sound barrier. Solid core doors on the guest bath, laundry room and our bedroom, rest are hollow.

There are two types of foam. Open and closed cell. Open cell is cheaper and will absorb water if you ever have a roof leak compared to closed cell. We have open cell and I didn't know about the other until after we built.

Core Lokt

Another thing we did (recommended to us) is our WI closet is in our bathroom. We also have a doorless walk in shower and I had an exhaust fan installed at the shower entrance that turns on when you turn the shower light on to exhaust the moisture out right away.

I'm no pro but did learn a lot of things building this house. Shoot me a message if you have any other question or thoughts. I can share what we did and didn't do and why.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
A lot of the cost will depend on your utility provider, any discounts they offer for age/social/economic status.

Level billing?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
In the summer, around $175, in the winter, around $100, That`s for a 1,400 square foot home and a little cabin out in the pasture.

sinclair1

Another thing we did (recommended to us) is our WI closet is in our bathroom. We also have a doorless walk in shower and I had an exhaust fan installed at the shower entrance that turns on when you turn the shower light on to exhaust the moisture out right away.

I'm no pro but did learn a lot of things building this house. Shoot me a message if you have any other question or thoughts. I can share what we did and didn't do and why.
Our last two houses have the walk-in connected to the bathroom. My wife loves it. I am thinking about putting the washer and dryer in there and never hanging any clothes :bounce:

sinclair1

In the summer, around $175, in the winter, around $100, That`s for a 1,400 square foot home and a little cabin out in the pasture.
What do you keep the cabin at when not there. We turned ours to 82 summer and 52 winter. Kept the bill down and air still circulating.

natureman

I have a 1600sf home with a full basement. Attic is ventilated and has R60 insulation. LowE windows all around. 75F during the day and 73F at night Summer is about $175 and winter about $70. A/C is 13SEER and heat is natural gas. If I had to do it all over again I would do the attic with foam and have it as a conditioned space. Much cleaner and efficient. Still trying to figure out whether closed cell foam or open cell is best for the attic.

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
What do you keep the cabin at when not there. We turned ours to 82 summer and 52 winter. Kept the bill down and air still circulating.

It has a window unit AC and a small old fashioned looking log heater fueled by propane. Unless I`m in there no heating or cooling is on. 10 X 16, it doesn`t long to heat or cool it.

SarahFair

Our bill is rolled all into one with the city, but broken down for June our electric is $187
The stove, water heater, and the heat (which obviously isnt being used in June) is on gas, that bill is $21.

Our house is 1800sqft and built in 1905.
We are under a lot of trees. I turn the air up to about 75 during the day, the SO cranks it down to about 70 at night.
I expect the next bill to be higher with the heat July has brought

ryanh487

Our bill is rolled all into one with the city, but broken down for June our electric is $187
The stove, water heater, and the heat (which obviously isnt being used in June) is on gas, that bill is $21.

Our house is 1800sqft and built in 1905.
We are under a lot of trees. I turn the air up to about 75 during the day, the SO cranks it down to about 70 at night.
I expect the next bill to be higher with the heat July has brought
Your AC is more efficient at maintaining a constant temperature than cooling large swings. It will be cheaper to set it at 72 during the day instead of 75.

SarahFair

Your AC is more efficient at maintaining a constant temperature than cooling large swings. It will be cheaper to set it at 72 during the day instead of 75.
But then I'm freezing :huh:
Id put it on 80 if the SO wouldn't have something to say about it. :cautious:

K80Shooter

But then I'm freezing :huh:
Id put it on 80 if the SO wouldn't have something to say about it. :cautious:
Sounds like my wife, she claims that I try to freeze her to death.