Public meetings start tonight

mtr3333

Banned
According to Charlie Killmaster at the Rockmart meeting, there is no biological impact for extending the season. He stated that past date extensions (I.e. Eliminating the December break) did not really impact the overall harvest numbers. Though I heard it several times, a non-pregnant doe killed in October is exactly the same as a pregnant doe killed in January...both aren't giving birth so the impact on the numbers is the exact same.

But the Oct doe wasn't bred yet...::ke:

Thank You....

Here is a short and simple explanation of why Georgia doesn't and is unlikely to have a fall turkey season: http://www.georgiawildlife.org/Hunting/NoFallTurkey

Consensus among most turkey biologist across the SE is consistent with science that indicates fall season are not in the best interest of the turkey population and so not bode well for turkey hunters that desire longer, enjoyable spring seasons.

Do some states have one? Yes, but that doesn't mean it is biologically appropriate. As many on here can point out, some "hunting opportunities" are politically motivated and contradictory to science!

Thank You for a Straight Answer ! Let's move on-nothing to see here !!!!:deadhorse::fine::cool::cool::fine:

skoaleric

I remember in the early 80's when Georgia stated that the deer herd had just reached the 1,000,000 mark. Back then we were allowed 3 does and 2 bucks if I remember correctly. DNR stated at that time, that limit is what was needed to maintain our deer herd. Now here we are 30 years later. DNR says we have around 750,000 deer (supposedly). And the 12 deer limit is what is needed to maintain our deer herd?
Does no one put these two together and think that its all about money. Hunting in Georgia is no different than the medical field.
Hunting is BIG BUSINESS. From the processors, to the hunting product makers, all the way to the politicians who get their kickbacks from the insurance companies.
The only thing that will ever change in Georgia is the deer herd will continue to decrease and cease to exist. Then I guess it will be back to other states to import them...AGAIN !!!!

But anyway, lets start another argument. Before the coyotes became overpopulated, Georgia was the quail capital of the world, and rabbits were so abundant that I ate more rabbits growing up than deer. Now in 2015, we have to turn quail loose to hunt, and if you want rabbits, look on craigslist...lol.
DNR never paid any attention to these canines.
DNR in my opinion are workers brainwashed by our politicians to do and act in the way they are told.
Our input in these meetings, however meaningful, falls on deaf ears, UNLESS, it is already in their agenda.

Todd E

According to Charlie Killmaster at the Rockmart meeting, there is no biological impact for extending the season. He stated that past date extensions (I.e. Eliminating the December break) did not really impact the overall harvest numbers. Though I heard it several times, a non-pregnant doe killed in October is exactly the same as a pregnant doe killed in January...both aren't giving birth so the impact on the numbers is the exact same.

Bucks start dropping antlers here December 20th in OC.
Everyone seems to want to hammer does even though the numbers of them are dropping. So, let's see. We are hammering the does. Then we hammer bucks that have shed (thinking they are does) since the season has been extended. No biological impact…………

Deer get hammered on one piece of property where they are using said food source. Late in extended season, remaining deer have move 2.5 miles to farmer johns field where he has planted. They hammer them there. No biological impact…………

Yeah, right.
I will call it what it is………….selfish desires wanting a longer season.

bigblocktransam

Yeah, right.

Kinda the truth.. It's funny how people around here feel it's owed to them. They feel they should be completely free of government when it comes to hunting, but don't let no one trespass, they'd be calling dnr in a heartbeat!

We have to look out for our deer heard first! It you don't kill enough deer in a certain amount of time, I'm sorry.. It's hunting. Just because you have tags don't mean you have to fill them!

Last, if you like hunting that much, maybe come jan first, turn your focus to coyotes, pigs and small game..

Jeetdawg

Everyone seems to want to hammer does even though the numbers of them are dropping. So, let's see. We are hammering the does. Then we hammer bucks that have shed (thinking they are does) since the season has been extended. No biological impact…………

Deer get hammered on one piece of property where they are using said food source. Late in extended season, remaining deer have move 2.5 miles to farmer johns field where he has planted. They hammer them there. No biological impact…………

Yeah, right.

Hey man, I am just stating what our Biologist commented on during the meeting. According to the DNR's numbers, opening up the old December break made almost no change in the deer harvest and the number of hours a hunter spent in the woods did not change with the expanded opportunity. And I heard from several folks in the meeting that most hunters are worn down by that time of the season and probably wouldn't utilize it much. I'm good whatever they decide as I spent more time hunting out of the state than in it.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

Yeah, right.

It's highly unlikely that significant numbers of bucks will be dropping antlers during that time. Georgia's coast has the earliest rut dates causing hormone levels, and subsequently antlers, to drop earlier than the rest of the state. That area already runs to January 15th and this has never been an issue down there. If an issue along these lines does occur, there's still the flexibility to make those later dates buck only eliminating the problem. Regarding the number of deer killed, it's not going to increase by any measurable level because the number of days spent hunting is unlikely to change based on past experience. Again, should an issue arise an adjustment to either-sex days can resolve it.

With that said, the reason for considering this change is being responsive to public input. What I said at the meeting was that there was no biological benefit or detriment to a single statewide season. That's the way our regulations work, if it's biologically appropriate and is what the public wants we try to implement it.

GA DAWG

If it dont make no difference and folks dont utilize it. Why do it? Join a club in south ga if you wanna hunt till the 15th. I did. Plus they were hammering them this weekend as its the last. I heard a bunch of shooting around. Beings the dnr wrd or whoever really has no clue as to how many deer we kill a yr. How they figure it want impact nothing. Good gracious..Bless their hearts :D

Jeff Raines

It's highly unlikely that significant numbers of bucks will be dropping antlers during that time. Georgia's coast has the earliest rut dates causing hormone levels, and subsequently antlers, to drop earlier than the rest of the state. That area already runs to January 15th and this has never been an issue down there. If an issue along these lines does occur, there's still the flexibility to make those later dates buck only eliminating the problem. Regarding the number of deer killed, it's not going to increase by any measurable level because the number of days spent hunting is unlikely to change based on past experience. Again, should an issue arise an adjustment to either-sex days can resolve it.

With that said, the reason for considering this change is being responsive to public input. What I said at the meeting was that there was no biological benefit or detriment to a single statewide season. That's the way our regulations work, if it's biologically appropriate and is what the public wants we try to implement it.

With the length of Ga.deer season and the # of deer we can kill.Each club has the option to set up their own guidelines or rules of what,when or how to kill a deer.
These guys that want real short season can get together,lease a tract of land and have their own short season.
It boggles my mind how people want to force,by law,every one else to hunt like them.:huh:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I remember in the early 80's when Georgia stated that the deer herd had just reached the 1,000,000 mark. Back then we were allowed 3 does and 2 bucks if I remember correctly. DNR stated at that time, that limit is what was needed to maintain our deer herd. Now here we are 30 years later. DNR says we have around 750,000 deer (supposedly). And the 12 deer limit is what is needed to maintain our deer herd?

Ummm, no. That's not what they said at all.

JBowers

Does no one put these two together and think that its all about money. Hunting in Georgia is no different than the medical field.
Hunting is BIG BUSINESS. From the processors, to the hunting product makers, all the way to the politicians who get their kickbacks from the insurance companies.
The only thing that will ever change in Georgia is the deer herd will continue to decrease and cease to exist. Then I guess it will be back to other states to import them...AGAIN !!!!

But anyway, lets start another argument. Before the coyotes became overpopulated, Georgia was the quail capital of the world, and rabbits were so abundant that I ate more rabbits growing up than deer. Now in 2015, we have to turn quail loose to hunt, and if you want rabbits, look on craigslist...lol.
DNR never paid any attention to these canines.
DNR in my opinion are workers brainwashed by our politicians to do and act in the way they are told.
Our input in these meetings, however meaningful, falls on deaf ears, UNLESS, it is already in their agenda.

WRD has not reported an estimated deer population at or near 750,000 since it peaked in the 1990s. The minimum population estimate has been around 1 million in recent past and most recently was estimated between 1.1 to 1.2 million.

bigblocktransam

WRD has not reported an estimated deer population at or near 750,000 since it peaked in the 1990s. The minimum population estimate has been around 1 million in recent past and most recently was estimated between 1.1 to 1.2 million.

Gotta love these estimations.. Ga DNR is clueless..
Why do they need public input?? I've said it before, the state of georgia cares nothing about deer and deer hunting. For them it's to easy to just jack up bag limits, open up either sex days and hope hunters are responsible enough. Before some one calls me a liar, why did so many game wardens get laid off a few years ago. I remember for about 2 years straight, every on GON edition was writing articles about more lay offs and wma closures. All about the budget. Ever since then, it's been on a downhill.