Purpose of one bird a day limit?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
What ever the regulations are I guess that’s what we will do. I understand in some areas y’all hunt. Y’all have just about whipped out the gobblers. Over hunting or other circumstances. Like the horned owl. ?
In my area it maybe the opposite, poor hen everywhere she goes there’s a gobbler chasing her. Had 7 jakes in the field. Hear hen but they stayed away. 1big gobbler ran in on them and started fighting. The jakes ran him off. Couldn’t shoot. Feathers would of flew everywhere. When a hen cut or clucked them rascals would run that way gobbling. Seen 11 different jakes today and 3 long beards. No shots fired. my wife killed one Saturday and then Sunday. She didn’t go today. She wanted to watch her soaps. She said 2 long beards did walk across the back yard. I only heard hens today. I think they hiding in the woods.
I need a better camera to take pics. this is with the cell phone.
42A2F283-3C62-47D9-A102-29ECB65F319F.jpeg

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
What ever the regulations are I guess that’s what we will do. I understand in some areas y’all hunt. Y’all have just about whipped out the gobblers. Over hunting or other circumstances. Like the horned owl. ?
In my area it maybe the opposite, poor hen everywhere she goes there’s a gobbler chasing her. Had 7 jakes in the field. Hear hen but they stayed away. 1big gobbler ran in on them and started fighting. The jakes ran him off. Couldn’t shoot. Feathers would of flew everywhere. When a hen cut or clucked them rascals would run that way gobbling. Seen 11 different jakes today and 3 long beards. No shots fired. my wife killed one Saturday and then Sunday. She didn’t go today. She wanted to watch her soaps. She said 2 long beards did walk across the back yard. I only heard hens today. I think they hiding in the woods.
I need a better camera to take pics. this is with the cell phone.
View attachment 1073428
Had your chance Kmac. When that soap operas over that birds a goner.

Ray357

AWOL
If the DNR decides to go to a 2 gobbler limit with no more than one bird per day, what is the reasoning behind the daily bag limit of one?

The limit is the limit no matter if it happens in one pull of the trigger or it takes 6 weeks to kill 2.

I'm guessing the collateral damage kills when someone accidentally kills 2 with one shot are not going to be tagged.
Of course not. Everyone is honest.
If the DNR decides to go to a 2 gobbler limit with no more than one bird per day, what is the reasoning behind the daily bag limit of one?

The limit is the limit no matter if it happens in one pull of the trigger or it takes 6 weeks to kill 2.

I'm guessing the collateral damage kills when someone accidentally kills 2 with one shot are not going to be tagged.
Just more govt meddling.

gsubo

I think the point for me would be the fact that you would have to work two more gobblers in on two separate hunts and kill them. That’s not an easy feat. Ive gone weeks without killing a bird some seasons. Some seasons you get on hot streaks and can do no wrong. I don’t know turkey reproduction too well but I would have to believe having some mature gobblers around for a good part of the season would be a good thing for the turkey population instead of smacking every longbears you have on a property in a weeks time. Ive heard jakes can do a fair amount of breeding so maybe that makes up for killing two or three long beards in a hunt early season. I believe making it all come together three different times to tag out in a season certainly makes it harder to tag out and let’s some birds live to see another day. Just my opinion again.

Sixes

I think the point for me would be the fact that you would have to work two more gobblers in on two separate hunts and kill them. That’s not an easy feat. Ive gone weeks without killing a bird some seasons. Some seasons you get on hot streaks and can do no wrong. I don’t know turkey reproduction too well but I would have to believe having some mature gobblers around for a good part of the season would be a good thing for the turkey population instead of smacking every longbears you have on a property in a weeks time. Ive heard jakes can do a fair amount of breeding so maybe that makes up for killing two or three long beards in a hunt early season. I believe making it all come together three different times to tag out in a season certainly makes it harder to tag out and let’s some birds live to see another day. Just my opinion again.
2 times, the new limit will be 2 birds

Tadder

Have no problem with 1 bird a day , More fun for me too hunt em on different days anyway, don't quite under stand 1 gobbler per/ wma . Say a kids got drawn on a kids hunt 1st time hunting. If they get blessed 1st time out and still got 4r5 days too hunt and enjoy the outdoors. If they have too stop and not hunt cause they good Blessed they may not learn how turkey hunts can be and too enjoy the oppertunitys they've been Blessed with. I'm fine with most of the proposed changes but this one. They also want WMA'S too start even later than privent lands . Well there goes the kids quota hunts also. Most kids get started with ball in april. JUST MY 2CENTS. Good luck folks happy hunting.

Garnto88

Your correct, I was just trying to make an example of daily limits.

I have no problem with someone helping someone out. I got a neighbor that is a turkey killing machine. He killed his 3 the first week last year. I hunted 5-6 times and 0. So I asked if he could help me. I'm going to hit him up in a week or so.

Using your argument what difference does it make if 1 guy helps 5 others kill their limit throughout the season or in 1 day or however. They are only killing their limit.
Just hopefully not in same area or same property. If I take any guest it’s on their land not mine.

Sixes

As someone who has to work a lot of weekends, I think a really good idea would be to stop hunting on the weekends and only allow hunting from Monday to Thursday each week.

Surely that will save some more birds than reducing the limit or worrying about killing 2 in a day.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I’ve only ever killed 2 in one hunt once in over 20 years of turkey hunting and I hadn’t planned on killing both of them until the second one ran over and attacked the first one I shot. Ended my season on the 8th dayfacepalm:

shootpse

Banned

At least you're allowed more than 1 bird,here in Indiana its 1 and done!!!! At least you have an opportunity to take multiple birds if you choose to

Ben1100Mag

It is all based on an Honor system any way. Limits and seasons are on for the folks that want to follow the rules. What i don't like is limiting the WMA access for public land hunting.

ddd-shooter

Do you not see that killing three mature toms in one sitting might negatively impact a population?
If it takes even the slightest bit of time to establish a new hierarchy, you're losing valuable breeding opportunities across your flock.

Imagine three bucks behind a hot doe. Bang, bang, bang. Does the doe get bred? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe she needs second estrous. By then, only small bucks are left, if any. Is that herd getting the best genes, and is that herd now dropping fawns across a longer than necessary time frame?

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I guess it might depend on the hunters skill level plus the area he hunts.

But for me and the area I hunt it will make it harder to limit out. All the stars will have to align twice.

That being said,
The limit changes are more phycological than anything else. I believe the average hunter kills less than 2 birds a year?

Sixes

Do you not see that killing three mature toms in one sitting might negatively impact a population?
If it takes even the slightest bit of time to establish a new hierarchy, you're losing valuable breeding opportunities across your flock.

Imagine three bucks behind a hot doe. Bang, bang, bang. Does the doe get bred? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe she needs second estrous. By then, only small bucks are left, if any. Is that herd getting the best genes, and is that herd now dropping fawns across a longer than necessary time frame?

It depends on the size of the flock and the number of mature birds.

It will be a TWO bird limit not three and then the hunter will be done with no more pressure from that hunter if he doubles. So no, it will not negatively effect the flock. No difference in shooting one bird on Saturday and one bird on Sunday. I can assure you, those satellite birds will move in as soon as the boss is dead.

As far as the buck situation, yes the doe will more than likely be bred within that first time of being in estrous, there are always bucks ready to breed.

And if you think that a young buck is only passing on the genes for his size at the time of breeding, you are way off the mark, plus a buck is only giving half the genetics of ththeir offspring. Nature intended deer to be able to breed over an extended time, the majority of late breeders are healthy fawns.

Sixes

What about the population boom from the 80s thru 2000 or so? Do y'all really think that mature birds weren't being killed early and often?

The hens seemed to have no issues being bred during that timeframe.

Fletch_W

Banned
I think having a 1 bird daily possession limit makes it harder for poachers to pull off one of their favorite scams. I won't go into detail here because I don't want to give people any ideas. Think tag-sharing.