Quebec Bear with Jerry Russell; PICTURES are here!

Blueridge

Met Chris Horsman and his two buddies Rob and Josh from TN. After a short flight from Atlanta to Montreal we rented a van and drove through some beautiful country to the Mastigouche Reseve. Mastigouche is " back in there" and contains Moose, Geese, wolves, snowshoe hares , other assorted wildlife and more importantly a healthy Black Bear population . The cabins we stayed in were perfect for staying in the backwoods , nothing fancy but dry and warm. My hunt was short. Hunting bears over bait was something I had never done so my plan was to watch and learn for a few days. Didn't happen that way. I was dropped off at 4:40 pm and was hunting from a ladder about 8ft high. 10 minutes after I sat down I turned side saddle which is how I like to shoot, I hear a very loud and deep hiss 4 steps behind me, I slowly turn my head and there is a Bear standing up glaring at me. The bear dropped down and went straight to the bait and I got my breath back. I watched this bear for the next 21/2 hrs at the bait all of a sudden trees started shaking, teeth started pooping and a bear comes flying out of the brush hits my ladder stand and is on the other side of a huge spruce tree where my Black Widow longbow is hanging. I'm thinking
" not good, not good!!" Then I hear claws lock onto the big spruce the next thing I see is this bear coming up the tree real fast! Time seemed to slow way down, I looked around and grabbed the first weapon I could- my orange vest. I can still see the end of that vest drill that bear right between the eyes like a well placed arrow as I towel whipped 3 times. The bear then just let go of the tree like a mountain climber who has been "cut loose" it fell in the brush and I have no idea what happens to it. I was proud that I never did yell. The bear on the bait never moved. It's about 8:30 pm and all of sudden my bear takes off up the hill out of sight, I hear teeth popping, growling , snarling and woofing. This goes on for 10 or so minutes , I am really keyed up now and decide whatever comes back is the dominant bear. Sure enough it my bear! I had not yet decided sow? Or Boar? ( I really couldn't tell anyway)
I hit kill mode when the perfect shot appeared at 7 yards and I promptly shot right over the bears back by 1/2 inch. The bear took off and ran between two trees slightly quartered away, I don't remember nocking another arrow nor do I remember the draw or release, I just remember seeing my white nock disappear right where it should have. The bear huffed and took off breaking branches for 4-5 seconds, all got deathly quiet and then I heard the mournful " death moan." I smiled knowing that shot had been a good one, then HE stepped out. It was the boar the sow I had just killed had been fighting with. He was a bigger bear but I was happy with what I had, besides it would have been to dark to shoot him anyway. I would sit there until 11pm in pitch black darkness waiting to be picked up with NO flashlight and a boar slapping the bait barrel around only 8 or so yards away. The sound of Jerry's truck was indeed Heaven sent.
Jerry run a top notch operation, I can't say enough good things about him and the way he does things, he aims to show you a great time and that's exactly what I got. I am going back to Mastigouche with out a doubt.
Will add pics later. My Sow was at least 10-12 years and had a big head on her, a good mature animal.

Attachments

• Hero.jpg
    Hero.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 316
  • skinning.jpg
    skinning.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 317
  • Lake.jpg
    Lake.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 322
  • Cabin.jpg
    Cabin.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 321
  • running bait stations.jpg
    running bait stations.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 322
  • Lake2.jpg
    Lake2.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 320
  • grouse.jpg
    grouse.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 319
  • Chris.jpg
    Chris.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 321
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 321
H

Hammer Spank

Awesome! Aside from hunting them now in GA, I've hunted bears in Quebec fifteen times. I miss it every spring. I have also had one join me in the tree. Its interesting to say the least!! Please post as many pics as you can of the whole experience.

I have been up near there a lot. Parent, mont Laurier, senneterre, clova,

Awesomely eerie country

Blueridge

Awesome! Aside from hunting them now in GA, I've hunted bears in Quebec fifteen times. I miss it every spring. I have also had one join me in the tree. Its interesting to say the least!! Please post as many pics as you can of the whole experience.

I have been up near there a lot. Parent, mont Laurier, senneterre, clova,

Awesomely eerie country

Will do . I have quite a few. I spent the remainder of the week running baits with Jerry and tracking bears, also got to sit in the ground blind with Chris one night but that is his story.
Beautiful country up there , I can see this being a regular event.

H

Hammer Spank

Jerry's outfit sounds pretty great. All the places I ever went were on reservoirs ao we would spend the day fishing for walleye and pike and hunt in the afternoon. The fishing was more than half the fun for me. We did all our own baiting and hanging stands. You can learn a ton about bears by bait hunting them. Congrats again!!

Blueridge

Our cabin Pekan, was on a large lake but you rent the lakes limit to 4 people per day. They were all taken for most of the week. I was to busy helping jerry anyway . Thanks

dutchman

Good deal, brother Stan! Looking forward to the photos.

dpoole

AWESOME !! Take one of those MAISI swords and clubs next time and kill one their style

Al33

:cool::clap: Real happy for you, John, and Chris!! Good Lord willing I will be there next year.

Munkywrench

Sounds like an awesome trip Stan, not sure how I woulda handled the bear up ther with me lol. Can't wait for the pictures. How was Jerry feeling when you left out of there

Blueridge

I think he regrouped by the next day or so. I had to leave about 30 min after it hit him. Thank God for John and the other guys stepping up.

Clipper

What a fantastic story! I can't think of a much more exciting hunt on the American continent, anyway. Thanks for sharing.