Question about Hog meat

Roadking65

I am new to hog hunting. A few years ago a friend gave us a front shoulder/leg and we slow cooked it on the BBQ pit turning it over a lot and sort of smoked it. It was really good!
So recently someone told me the rear quarters are really not good eating. And another told me they way its butcherd makes all the difference.
If I see one this year during hunting I plan on killing it. Several were spotted on members trail cams. Do you gut it and quarter it up just like a deer?

Thanks
RK

joey1919

Most people who say things like that have either never tried it or they or someone else didn't handle the meat properly. That or they can't cook.

Put the hog down fast, clean him and cool the meat in a reasonable amount of time. Cook it like you would any other pig. Might be leaner but it should taste fine.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What Joey said. Somebody told you a bunch of bull. Be careful when you're skinning and gutting to not get any urine or the nasty outside of the hide on the meat. Washing a hog down with a waterhose before skinning if you have the means to do it is a good idea. Other than that, do it like a deer, or scrape/butcher cut it up the same way people do domestic hogs. It works either way. Most of the few I've killed, I've just skinned, quartered, and made pulled bbq or sausage except for the loins and such. The hindquarters are just as good as the forequarters to me, with a lot more meat on them too.

markland

Most people who say things like that have either never tried it or they or someone else didn't handle the meat properly. That or they can't cook.

Put the hog down fast, clean him and cool the meat in a reasonable amount of time. Cook it like you would any other pig. Might be leaner but it should taste fine.

This! In fact I usually prefer hog over GA deer meat, now IL deer meat is in a class all it's own but all hog has been good when properly cared for and I prefer the high quarters and back straps myself.

earl39

Just remember to castrate a boar as soon as he is down or you end up with stinky meat. It is fine when cooked but will smell bad when you clean and process it. Let the wife smell it and she will make you throw it out wasting some really good eating.. As said is better than store bought but a little leaner so you want to save all the fat to make sausage with.

holton27596

After hes dead castrating him will have no effect on the meat. clean as fast as possible, cool as quick as possible. Ive killed over 10 so far this year. No game taste or smell, and none castrated

humdandy

Banned
You can eat just about everything on a hog except the squeal.

Wild hog taste better than any store bought crap!

Roadking65

Okay!
Thanks guys! We do have a skinning tree setup covered with an electric hoist and water with sink and hose, concreted floor. There is no tree but its constructed where the "tree" used to be.

So, I'll treat a hog the same as deer as far as quartering. We also have a large ice maker and after quartering we cover with ice and open the drain and tilt the cooler to allow the water to escape.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The only other different thing I do with a hog vs. a deer besides rinsing them off before skinning, is to wear disposable gloves cleaning a hog. They can carry some nasty stuff like brucellosis and such that you sure don't want to get into a cut on your finger.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I am new to hog hunting. A few years ago a friend gave us a front shoulder/leg and we slow cooked it on the BBQ pit turning it over a lot and sort of smoked it. It was really good!
So recently someone told me the rear quarters are really not good eating. And another told me they way its butcherd makes all the difference.
If I see one this year during hunting I plan on killing it. Several were spotted on members trail cams. Do you gut it and quarter it up just like a deer?

Thanks
RK
They wanted you to have Kosher pork.

Roadking65

To: NCH, Thanks I wasn't aware of the diseases they carry while raw. I know about tape worms and making sure its cooked to 160 def F. I do have availability of latex gloves, we keep a box near the skinning tree. I will definately use them.

I have a feeling I'm going to be blessed with a few this year as other members said they will give me what they shoot as long as I gut them ect.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Just remember to castrate a boar as soon as he is down or you end up with stinky meat. It is fine when cooked but will smell bad when you clean and process it. Let the wife smell it and she will make you throw it out wasting some really good eating.. As said is better than store bought but a little leaner so you want to save all the fat to make sausage with.

facepalm:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

After hes dead castrating him will have no effect on the meat. clean as fast as possible, cool as quick as possible. Ive killed over 10 so far this year. No game taste or smell, and none castrated

:bounce::cheers:

You can eat just about everything on a hog except the squeal.

Wild hog taste better than any store bought crap!

Dont eat them things that Earl's talking out cutting off neither;)

Okay!
Thanks guys! We do have a skinning tree setup covered with an electric hoist and water with sink and hose, concreted floor. There is no tree but its constructed where the "tree" used to be.

So, I'll treat a hog the same as deer as far as quartering. We also have a large ice maker and after quartering we cover with ice and open the drain and tilt the cooler to allow the water to escape.

With a carpet blade and and regular knife, you can remove the shoulders, backstrap, and HAMS without ever gutting it.....just remove the items I mentioned and put them in a bag, get them back to camp and do the ice routine.

The carcass may make a good yote bait station too:bounce:

rustybucket

it may seem like overkill but we hose our hogs off a LOT before ever taking a knife to them. We've even lathered one up with dawn before prior to skinning.

Really it only takes 10min and makes the entire cleaning process more enjoyable and keeps sand/dirt/doo out of your meat.

humdandy

Banned
facepalm:

With a carpet blade and and regular knife, you can remove the shoulders, backstrap, and HAMS without ever gutting it.....just remove the items I mentioned and put them in a bag, get them back to camp and do the ice routine.

Hog testes taste great! I'm serious!

Barebowyer

I actually hit them with the power washer before skinning and cleaning them...works great. I will warn you, if using a public car wash and spraying them off on the trailer, you may get a funny look or two!! Best $2.00 you will ever spend

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I actually hit them with the power washer before skinning and cleaning them...works great. I will warn you, if using a public car wash and spraying them off on the trailer, you may get a funny look or two!! Best $2.00 you will ever spend

:bounce:

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova

Well now that answers the questions of my friend who owns a car wash over your way. He said the drains on his wash keep getting clogged with lots of crazy hair and crud that he couldn't find just where it was coming from. Heck, even the city fined him $800 for them having to come vacuum all of the drain lines on four streets in that neighborhood. :banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

I just talked with him and told him that he didn't need to spend more money on installing another security camera because I knew who the culprit was. He said he wants his $800 back and soon too !!!! :D:D:D

Film at 11pm !!! :pop:

Just kidding you of course BUT I just wanted to see if you were paying attention. :pop::pop::pop::stir:

The real truth is just what lots of others have told you....wild pork is some really good tasting meat for sure and you can use it in lots of different ways and meals etc. Some times, it is so tasty that your tongue won't stop slapping face until it rains or until sundown arrives !!!! :cheers:

BCAPES

A simple - "Hey man - you might have been misinformed" would have been a better response. No need to post a face palm and rofl to someone who was just trying to help.
facepalm:

bronco611

if you happen to get a hog that stinks, quarter it and get on ice asap and pour a bottle of apple vinegar in the cooler leave the drain closed so it soaks over night. drain off water the next day add ice and more apple vinegar this will remove the taint smell and taste if it may have a strong taste. only needs to be done on a larger hog that smells but you can add to all hogs if you choose. this will remove any wild gamey taste and you will be left with good ole hog.