Questions for the old timers

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I have seen the damage birds of prey can do on game birds...and they are everywhere this decline is taking place as apposed to other reasons brought forward.
years back anyone involved with the protection of quail had a varmint rifle in the truck and many traps set on fence post
There are definitely loads of hawks in suburban areas. I hear them and see them above all day long. 3 or 4 at a time. Out in the woods of middle Ga. I rarely see a hawk anymore.

Mark K

Banned
I trap and help out on a plantation. I won’t comment on hawks...
But, with the right habitat, rabbits and rats help give them another option besides poults and chicks.
Still got to help out any way you can though. I think social media and the need for personal recognition gets most people in trouble when it comes to predators and the removal of them. Sometimes the 3S rule comes into play.

Timber1

BANNED
I'm seeing a lot more squirrels than I use to.
I think they are eating all the mast and starving the turkeys to death.
I didnt kill a gobbler this year that weighed over 20 pounds.

devolve

I'm seeing a lot more squirrels than I use to.
I think they are eating all the mast and starving the turkeys to death.
I didnt kill a gobbler this year that weighed over 20 pounds.
I have more squirrels than ever before this year on my place. Also the first time I’ve had turkeys staying here full time. Killed 1 well over 20 lbs. the 32 coyotes that died on the property prior to this season I believe had more to do with it.

Mark K

Banned
I see everyone talking about 20# plus birds. Where do y’all hunt and are these guesses or actual scale weights?
I’ve hunted numerous different states and 5 species and only have a total of 3 birds topping the 20+ mark...2 Eastern’s and 1 Rio. I hear people every year that all their birds are over 20# including jakes.

Buckman18

I see everyone talking about 20# plus birds. Where do y’all hunt and are these guesses or actual scale weights?
I’ve hunted numerous different states and 5 species and only have a total of 3 birds topping the 20+ mark...2 Eastern’s and 1 Rio. I hear people every year that all their birds are over 20# including jakes.

This season, 2 of mine weighed 19, and the other weighed exactly 20 on scales. All mine were from the mountains in deep woods, and there was a poor acorn crop last fall. Surprised me, usually a very big bird here is 18.

Mark K

Banned
Most all my Eastern’s weigh 16-19 max.
Most of my Rio’s weigh 13-16 max...of course I’m generally hunting them at the end of their seasons.

M Sharpe

Man is the number ONE predator of turkeys!!

M Sharpe

Most all my Eastern’s weigh 16-19 max.
Most of my Rio’s weigh 13-16 max...of course I’m generally hunting them at the end of their seasons.
That's pretty light for Rios

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Honestly, I've never weighed a bird in my life. If he's got 1 1/2 spurs and a foot of beard, he can weigh 10 lbs eating lead, and i'm good with it. lol
Once a bird is weighed, without telling a lie, it is deprived of gaining weight after death as the years go by and the hunt account is retold. Gil

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Once a bird is weighed, without telling a lie, it is deprived of gaining weight after death as the years go by and the hunt account is retold. Gil
True Gil. That's another thing I've noticed through the years. I think I've only shared turkey hunting stories with my son.

buckpasser

Thomas county is one example of a place that routinely produces Toms over 20 lbs. Early season is especially good for a heavy weight gobbler. My biggest was over 24 lbs and I’d say my overall average is around 19 in and around Thomas.

Timber1

BANNED
Turkey hens will kill poults. An older hen will kill a younger hens poults. Not sure why but I know they will.

devolve

I used a fish scale this year. I knew that 2nd one I killed in Gilmer county was a giant and had to know what it weighed. 22# on the money. My other 2 this year were in the teens like normal. I did kill a 19# Osceola about 15 years ago. That thing was a GIANT for the species!

Mark K

Banned
I used a fish scale this year. I knew that 2nd one I killed in Gilmer county was a giant and had to know what it weighed. 22# on the money. My other 2 this year were in the teens like normal. I did kill a 19# Osceola about 15 years ago. That thing was a GIANT for the species!
Yes sir. I weigh all mine as well. That’s what lead to my question about all the 20 pounders being shot. I don’t doubt they’re out there, I’ve just never been privileged enough to shoot them on a consistent basis. Maybe those are the smart birds, I prefer killing the small stupid ones, lol. My biggest overall Eastern was a swamp bird that had an 11.75” beard, 1.5” spurs and weighed only a whopping 16.8lbs.
My biggest Osceola was a 10.5” beard, 1 3/8” spurs, and a whole 15lbs, lol.

Gadget

At my club in Crawford co we weigh all birds with digital fish scales and keep harvest records. I'd have to check but I think our heaviest ever is 23lb. We've killed many in the 20-22 range.