Questions on glyphosate

Senoj

I have a lot of trails in the woods that I’ve been keeping clean for several seasons. Everything I will be spraying will be young growth and mostly privet. Just wondering if glyphosate would kill everything including tree saplings even though it’s not specifically designed for “woody” plants. If so, I’ll save money by not buying Remedy which is what I’ve been mixing with the glyphosate for my kill all recipe.

maker4life

Yes. Run it hot and with a 90/10 surfactant.

Senoj

I just use a couple tablespoons of liquid dish soap per gallon for a surfactant. I suppose I might as well get the Remedy if the standard ratio of glyphosate won’t cut it. Money may even out in the long run. Was thinking about trying a generic to save a little money. Triclopyr 4 from Alligare can be found for under 60 bucks per gallon. May give it a shot.

doomtrpr_z71

The rate for glyphosate to kill privet is 4 to 6 ounces per gallon of water with 0.6 ounces of a nonionic surfactant, dishsoap isn't going to cut it here. If you need to kill scrub oaks or other hardwoods glyphosate wont cut it, you need the remedy.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What others have said. It works fine on privet and stuff if you mix it about 4%-5% and use a surfactant. The main advantage of glyphosate over the triclopyr/2,4-D herbicides is it is a lot less toxic, and doesn't volatilize and kill nearby or overhead stuff. You can scorch the earth spraying triclopyr on a hot day if you're not careful.

treemanjohn

Banned
Some dishes soaps have chemicals that reduce our eliminate the effectiveness of herbicides. Baby shampoo is cheap and does no bad in a spray tank

doomtrpr_z71

Do yourself a favor, buy a real nonionic surfactant and be done with it. A small bottle is $10, a gallon is less than $30.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Do yourself a favor, buy a real nonionic surfactant and be done with it. A small bottle is $10, a gallon is less than $30.

Solid advice. It makes a big difference on tough stuff, and it makes generic glyphosate kill like Roundup Pro.