Range Finder

snooker1

My nikon range finder is 10 plus years old and only works half the time
New batteries didn't help. Looking for a new one that works well in low light condition. Not looking to break the bank, any suggestions. I see several different options but a lot I have never heard of.

Full Draw McGraw

Just a suggestion but I have a golf one. I play a lot and so I use my golf one for hunting. No idea if there is a difference in light gathering but you might check golf stores for sales as well.

I second this. Hunting equipment has an even larger markup than golf equipment and that's saying something.

OffTheBeatnPath

I have a vortex impact and it isn't the best in lower light, but I usually just range land markers before it gets to that point. It can be hard to pick out a black set of numbers in thicker woods also.. I've had problems with it fogging up pretty bad when its humid or post rain. The ranger is much better if you were to go with vortex. Leupold has very similar warranty, similar pricing, and is better imo.

benellisbe

whatever you get, try and get one with a colored range display. black is extremely hard to see in low light. I have a couple that I've bought on sale or second hand (Vortex and Leupold). My Leupold RX2800 is definitely the best one I have and works very well, but it is pricey.

snooker1

I went with the leupold. I got to use one and I really liked it.

Took it out this evening and shot my bow until there was not enough light out to pick up a target in my peep sight, used the range finder and it worked perfect, this is just what I was looking for.

Attachments

• 20220913_171105.jpg
    20220913_171105.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

livetohunt

I went with the leupold. I got to use one and I really liked it.

Took it out this evening and shot my bow until there was not enough light out to pick up a target in my peep sight, used the range finder and it worked perfect, this is just what I was looking for.
I shot a couple of 3D shoots this summer and my Nikon was having trouble in low light wooded conditions. I asked the guys who shoot 3D a lot and they said get a Leupold or Vortex (cheaper recommendations). I went with the Leupold and it works great in low light and foggy days.