Ranting of an Aging Nurse 1.1

gunnurse

I sat tonight looking at my pitiful dog. She is a 14-year old chihuahua. She wet the kitchen floor tonight, and I was so angry at her. Then, I remembered...

I have been a paramedic since 1993. I was an EMT since 1984. I rose through the ranks to shift commander. In between that, I was a firefighter at a nuclear plant. Before that, I was a firefighter at the fastest running company at the fastest growing in the U.S. (Gwinnett County.) I have been privileged to be places where few people have ever been- such as a medical response team on top of the dome of an operating nuclear reactor. Today, I work as a nurse at a major cardiology clinic. Been there, done that, etc, etc.

But back to my dog. She lies pitifully looking up with a crooked spine. Unable to fully control her bodily functions. The same puppy that used to go crazy when I asked “Who’s that!?!” She’s now blind, mostly deaf, and relies on memory and smell to find her food dish. Like me- after my multiple spinal surgeries. Confined to be just a clinic nurse. Nothing like the excitement and skill I used in the ER. But I remember- it’s not “patients” that I encounter... It’s people. And I give myself a pass. Like I give my chihuahua a pass.

SC Hunter

If more people, especially pre hospital setting, treated people like people instead of like a patient things would be much better. You've been around for a while and seem to still have the compassion that freaking many people lose and it really bothers me. I hate your dog has got into that sort of shape and it truly sucks to see a loved dog like that. Prayers sent for the pup and for you be careful out there.

PS. I'm glad it was you on top of the nuclear reactor and not me!:ROFLMAO:

THE HATCHET MAN

I have a 14 year old yorkie terrier and she is like me, old and wore out but we still try to make every day the best we can. It hurts me sometimes to look at her but I think the same thing when I look at myself in the mirror. Time goes fast for all of us.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
This old girl was a rescue pup, a companion for my mom who has passed now.
She lives out her days here with us, has all the bad habits my mom started.
I never met a more loving and low maintenance dog.
I dread the day.

C9946614-7FA4-46BA-A941-2B0C86D5C816.jpeg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I sat tonight looking at my pitiful dog. She is a 14-year old chihuahua. She wet the kitchen floor tonight, and I was so angry at her. Then, I remembered...

I have been a paramedic since 1993. I was an EMT since 1984. I rose through the ranks to shift commander. In between that, I was a firefighter at a nuclear plant. Before that, I was a firefighter at the fastest running company at the fastest growing in the U.S. (Gwinnett County.) I have been privileged to be places where few people have ever been- such as a medical response team on top of the dome of an operating nuclear reactor. Today, I work as a nurse at a major cardiology clinic. Been there, done that, etc, etc.

But back to my dog. She lies pitifully looking up with a crooked spine. Unable to fully control her bodily functions. The same puppy that used to go crazy when I asked “Who’s that!?!” She’s now blind, mostly deaf, and relies on memory and smell to find her food dish. Like me- after my multiple spinal surgeries. Confined to be just a clinic nurse. Nothing like the excitement and skill I used in the ER. But I remember- it’s not “patients” that I encounter... It’s people. And I give myself a pass. Like I give my chihuahua a pass.

My wife followed much the same path EMTI now a cardiac RN. I hear much work talk but will share a story that I had to swallow hard listening to, so proud of her. Your post reminded me of this story. Gentlemen in his mid 60s, no health issues until this visit. Lab work shows probability of cancer. Gentlemen is depressed, wife isn’t there due to the COVID rules. They make small talk, he’s a country boy, likes to hunt, especially likes to rabbit hunt. The wife pulls out her phone scrolling for pics of the hounds I had. Then its pics of pups from litters we raised. The apprehension is no less but there’s a smile and thoughts of better days. Nurses that see people and not patients are special. Go easy on yourself.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
With age comes a mountain of (*com)passion we didn't realize we had. I'm glad to see it in others. It makes me feel more normal. I can practically tear up telling my wife a story from days gone by.
@Lukikus2, I've always regretted that we did not get to fish together a while back in Sebastian. These days I'm regretting it more. Best wishes for your recovery...

Last edited:

Lukikus2

With age comes a mountain of passion we didn't realize we had. I'm glad to see it in others. It makes me feel more normal. I can practically tear up telling my wife a story from days gone by.
@Lukikus2, I've always regretted that we did not get to fish together a while back in Sebastian. These days I'm regretting it more. Best wishes for your recovery...

Maybe next go around. Lots of you good folks I would still love to meet. And for the medical personnel - Thank you.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team

I always say that could be me when I get to be 98.