Ready to go, and need fletching recommendations

ASH556

These are my practice arrows. Same build as my hunting arrows, just these 4 are allocated for practice while the other 4 sit in my quiver with broad heads attached. Here's today's 40yd group: 2" shooting 2 fieldpoints and 2 QAD Exodus broad heads. And actually the one that's out to the left is a field point, so I doinked up the shot somehow. That'll do!

vFI3YCUl.jpg

X5ublzCl.jpg

Now, here's the problem: I shaved about half the white vane off one of my practice arrows. Sure, I can take it back to Outdoor Depot and pay them a couple bucks to re-fletch it, but I'd kind of like to be able to do it myself. The flip side is, I have enough hobbies already. I also like to keep it simple. Simple works for me. My arrows are just Gold Tip Hunters with the stock vanes, which best I can tell are just 2" Blazers and aren't helical. So, I just need a way to scrape off this old cave (a razor knife?) and glue a new one on. What do I need, or am I better off just taking it back to Outdoor Depot?

Also, in my head I think it'd be cool to have white wraps with white vanes. Good idea or not and what would it take to get into that?

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I use a sharp knife yet not so razor sharp it digs into the carbon easily.
Buncha scratching off the glue and refletch. Real easy. Done in a couple minutes.
It takes a fletching tool about $50.
Unless you shop around and have the time to find them cheaper.
But get the tool and fletches say at acadamy and you’ll be able to refletch anywhere anytime over and over.
You’ll also fix that flyer. Priceless to be able to do it yourself.

Those boil on vanes are easy but not cheap.

twincedargap

fletching jig & some glue, maybe $40 total plus some vanes, so yes, about $50, but then your good for awhile. major retailers or amazon would have what you need.

ASH556

Arizona EZ fletch gets high marks on AT. $50 for that one. Then buy some Blazers. Superglue or Bohning Fletch Tite? What about the wraps, crests, or whatever they’re called?

Hillbilly stalker

If your just going to shoot arrows with that set up, a Arizona will do you fine. If your going to try different things with different fletching sizes, types and different helical.....buy a bitzen burger jig. They are simply the best with the most options. I use Super glue gel with the blue top for glue. It’s easiest to find and the freshest. One big tip for you, shoot at different dots. Tight groups look good but you end up with busted fletching. Shoot different dot with each arrow and you will seldom half to refletch.

ASH556

If your just going to shoot arrows with that set up, a Arizona will do you fine. If your going to try different things with different fletching sizes, types and different helical.....buy a bitzen burger jig. They are simply the best with the most options. I use Super glue gel with the blue top for glue. It’s easiest to find and the freshest. One big tip for you, shoot at different dots. Tight groups look good but you end up with busted fletching. Shoot different dot with each arrow and you will seldom half to refletch.
That’s good info, thanks! Yeah I usually shoot at a Vegas 3 spot face, but wanted to shoot a group to make sure my BH’s were right on. It cost me.

This was at 30 yds yesterday.
7560E595-064A-437F-82BC-7478D133B6BB.jpeg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I looked into fletchings when I got my Xbow and I ended up going with the quick fletchings that slide over the bolt and you put them in boiling water. Removal is ez with a razor knife, but installation is pretty much impossible without a jig.....I got enough junk already.

hambone76

The last time I had a half dozen arrows refletched at a pro-shop, I told myself “no more”.
I bought a Bohning jig ($35) and feathers off of eBay. It does just fine. I also buy my wraps off of eBay from a particular seller.
He offers them in several different lengths and colors, including a few reflective colors as well. He also throws in an extra sheet of the wraps on every order. The upstart seems like a lot at first, but once you fletch a few dozen yourself, you’ll be glad that you did.
F5525DA7-EE1F-4AB7-BE07-10C8C136742A.jpeg

Tadder

Most shops charge $3 per arrow refletch. $4.50 - $5.50 with rapes. But you also have too figure there time and this time of year their for the most part slammed with folks wanting theres fixed . Most shops do a great job. Not a high tec job but it takes a few min. to strip clean and replace . One word of advice is too make sure you get the arrow shaft clean or the new fletching may not stick.Good luck witch ever way you go and happy hunting.Woods gona be full with folks this season.(y)

ddd-shooter

Could not imagine someone fletching my arrows any longer. I bought a bitz about 10 years ago. One of the best archery investments ever, imo.
I also spent some time playing with all sorts of wraps and vane configurations, now I have settled on just a simple 3” vane. But its a fun journey and I can change anytime I want.

Ihunt

Buy a jig. It’ll save money in the long run. It also allows you to try various things on a whim. You said you have a lot of hobbies already but fletching can be done anytime like a cold, wet rainy day or hot and rainy like it has been lately.

hambone76

Most shops charge $3 per arrow refletch. $4.50 - $5.50 with rapes. But you also have too figure there time and this time of year their for the most part slammed with folks wanting theres fixed . Most shops do a great job. Not a high tec job but it takes a few min. to strip clean and replace . One word of advice is too make sure you get the arrow shaft clean or the new fletching may not stick.Good luck witch ever way you go and happy hunting.Woods gona be full with folks this season.(y)

No doubt, I’m sure that they get slammed with business the last few weeks before the season.
The closest shop to me charged me $27 for 5 arrows that required a 3-fletch and no wraps.
Time, gas for two trips added in....nope.

I’m not knocking pro shops at all, but it’s something that can be done yourself if one chooses to do so or has so many arrows that it would be cost effective for them. I myself am one of those guys. I have several bows and many arrows.
My kids have their own bows, as well as my Wife. That’s a lot of arrows and a lot of money saved for us.

I can cut a fletch or booger one up, carry it inside and fix it in a jif.

Tadder

No doubt, I’m sure that they get slammed with business the last few weeks before the season.
The closest shop to me charged me $27 for 5 arrows that required a 3-fletch and no wraps.
Time, gas for two trips added in....nope.

I’m not knocking pro shops at all, but it’s something that can be done yourself if one chooses to do so or has so many arrows that it would be cost effective for them. I myself am one of those guys. I have several bows and many arrows.
My kids have their own bows, as well as my Wife. That’s a lot of arrows and a lot of money saved for us.

I can cut a fletch or booger one up, carry it inside and fix it in a jif.
$27 for 5 is too high no matter witch Pro Shop you use. 3 fletch 2" blazers should not be no more than $3 per arrow. But I under stand your point . Not all Pro Shop are on the same level. $27 for 5 would be replacing 3 flechings , nock , and insert. or Rapes and fletching plus nocks for all 5. And yes sir if I'm not in a shop with all that happens in a Pro Shop at this time of year I can fix'em up in a jiffy also. Happy Hunting too you and the family. Bowhunting is an Obsession. Love it.

Hillbilly stalker

The problem with re-fletching is everybody needs it at the same time and the archery shops get swamped. It’s really easy to do it your self at your own pace.

hambone76

$27 for 5 is too high no matter witch Pro Shop you use. 3 fletch 2" blazers should not be no more than $3 per arrow. But I under stand your point . Not all Pro Shop are on the same level. $27 for 5 would be replacing 3 flechings , nock , and insert. or Rapes and fletching plus nocks for all 5. And yes sir if I'm not in a shop with all that happens in a Pro Shop at this time of year I can fix'em up in a jiffy also. Happy Hunting too you and the family. Bowhunting is an Obsession. Love it.
Same to you. Thanks