Real world gas mileage

Tight Lines

A lot of the new trucks are coming without the cylinder delete or auto stop/start because of the chip shortage. You can ask the dealer if you decide to order one and they can tell you. Ford was shipping trucks without stop/start and you got a $50 credit. GM was probably doing the same I’m sure.
I think it is awesome that they can't put something on that we don't want and give us a credit for it!

Todd E

Chevy 2500 HD Crew 4x4 LWB
6.0 gas with cold air intake
.410 rear end gears
285 70 17 tires

Just shy of 12 mpg. Throw the camper behind it and I drop to barely over 9mpg. Only way I get better is when I add Lucas Oil injector cleaner.....1 to 2 mpg increase.

Gbr5pb

I'm scared of the start/ stop thing.
Seems like a lot of extra work for the starter as well as the oil vaporizing or draining back causing dry starts.
"Experts" have always said the most engine wear happens at start up.
Had a powertrain light come on my f150. Dealer says auxiliary transmission fluid pump. Don’t know when can get one backordered. Part of start stop system. $850 to fix when they can get part. All to save 2 gallons of gas a year

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
2014 Ram Quad 5.7 4wd
15-17 rural 19 interstate
3 mods, each cost 1 mpg
Custom front bumper, 31's, leveled.
2021 Silverado Turbo 4
Rural 17-19 Interstate 25+
I can milk 27.5 mpg at 65.
It's hard getn used to the sound of it...but I guess it's better than the electric we'll be required to drive in a few years ;)

earlthegoat2

I’m just going to chime in with my older 2000 F-250. Regular cab 4x4 V-10.

Right at 10 mpg combined. Mostly off highway.

snooker1

2019 F250 Superduty diesel gets around 18.5 mpg on the highway and around town not towing anything. With a 20 foot enclosed trailer loaded it gets around 13 to 13.5 mpg.

2019 Dodge 2500 diesel was getting around 18 mpg. The DEF system was removed at around 6500 miles , the truck was reprogrammed and now gets around 22.5 with a bunch more power.

snooker1

interesting.

Took about a week of driving to work through all of the codes that kept popping up but it was pretty simple. The truck had a recall and had to go back to Dodge and I wasn't sure if they would work on it but they told me they would no problem.It takes about 2 hours to reinstall and reprogram it.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
21 Silverado 1500 3.0 Duramax 10,000 miles.

29-31 on the highway running 70 without a trailer. 18 on highway when pulling the SxS

Have had 18,19 and 20 model of the same basic truck with the 5.3 previously. All stayed about 19 on the highway with no trailer and 13 on the highway with the SxS behind it.

29-31 on the highway running 70 without a trailer. 18 on highway when pulling the SxS

Have had 18,19 and 20 model of the same basic truck with the 5.3 previously. All stayed about 19 on the highway with no trailer and 13 on the highway with the SxS behind it.
Those eco diesels are the way to go ! Quiet too

Mars

Tires make a big difference in mpg. I hear guys complain all the time how they don't get the advertised mileage, but they've put 33-35" inch LT mud terrains on the truck and/or lift. I put 33" BFG all terrains on a 06 Ford I bought new and lost a consistent 2-3 mpg. But they looked good :LOL:
I also have a 17 Ram 1500 4x4 with 8spd Trans. When I first got the truck I was getting between 20-22 on the hwy. When the stock tires needed to be replaced I put on a leveling kit and 34in all terrain tires. That has dropped me down to 17ish mpg.

If higher mpg is the goal stay away from larger tires.

ucfireman

Does this truck have the DEF stuff and stop/start shut off mess?
What trans does it have? Does it shift smooth? And is it the same as in the gas 1500 (or do you know)?

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Does this truck have the DEF stuff and stop/start shut off mess?
What trans does it have? Does it shift smooth? And is it the same as in the gas 1500 (or do you know)?

Yes it has def and yes it has start stop although you can manually turn off the start stop when you crank the truck. My normal habit now is foot on brake, push start, push brake release and push start stop. Don't think about it anymore altho I'd rather it not be there.

It's paired with the 10 speed auto and shifts smooth as butter. The 2014-19 had the hard shifting issues that everyone said was normal. I had several of those years and they all shifted hard, especially down.

ghadarits

My 2019 GMC w/5.3 V8 and I think a 6 speed transmission has averaged 18.2 in the last 500 miles. That’s a good mix of city, hywy and some boat towing thrown in for good measure over a week of driving. I find that average to be fairly consisten. The engine shutoff adds a mile or two sometimes in city driving.

snooker1

2019 F250 diesel yesterday
Drove 93 miles to pick up a 20 foot open trailer, then turned around and drove home. All highway, total trip was was about 190 miles. Averaged 18.3 mpg. Trailer was empty.

Attachments

• 20220526_063231.jpg
    20220526_063231.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 5