What’s the best 1/2 ton truck?

transfixer

Why would you put 30k lbs on the bumper?

Back to the topic. In a 1500 truck I'd go with an F150 or a Ram 1500. I would not tow more than 5k on either one. I had a 2013 F150 and it was basically a car with a bed. Currently I have an F350 and a Ram 3500, with a few others scattered in the project line.

When it comes to 1 ton trucks it's Ram, then Ford and that's it. Look at hot shotters. Most of them run Rams followed by a few in Fords.

The Dodge Diesels own the road when it comes to sheer bottom end torque and also fuel mileage, those Cummins inline 6's get much better mileage than Ford or GM

Tight Lines

Lots of great comments...this has been a great thread...

The Dodge Ram has had issue with frames and cracking, breaking, rusting...I'm sure that has been fixed but it was an issue at one point...

WRT to the Tundra, I agree that is is great up to a point, but it is not a workhorse hauler...it is good for casual boating, camping, etc. but at the end of the day it is a 1/2 ton with a 350...I had a 2011...sold it for a kid hauler Yukon XL...

WRT to the complication in engines, it is only going to get worse...Audi used to make a sweet 5 valve per cylinder V6 that would run forever and had great get up and go...most of their cars are now turbo or turbo diesels...the old twin-turbo V6 and twin-turbo V8s were great...it is getting harder to find decent engines that are not over worked or over revved...I had the normally aspirated V6 and also a twin turbo version of it...that thing was amazing...

WRT to trannies I'm going to ask @transfixer from now on what he thinks...the more complicated they get, and tuned for gas mileage, the worse off they perform under load in my opinion...my wife has a CVT and I hate that thing...always hunting...

Personally I like the large gas engines but the mileage isn't ever going to be good with low geared axles and loads.

Diesel I've tried to talk myself into but every time I do I end up with gas...the cost and complexity of the diesels isn't worth the benefit - to me as a casual user. If I was towing everyday, maybe...

I wish they made a 3/4 ton Suburban like they used to...or even a 1 ton...

MotorTrend says the Dodge Ram is the best 1/2 ton today...if I was buying a new truck I'd have to look at them...turbocharged 6.2 liter is a beast of an engine...

https://www.motortrend.com/features/best-full-size-pickup-trucks-to-buy?slide=11

Reactions: M80

M80

Useles Billy’s Spiritual Counselor
I've known two people that had Ram 1500 Eco Diesels. Both were lemon lawed back to Ram. That is enough evidence for me to stay away from an Eco Diesel.
I knew a guy that one and the same results for him.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I knew a guy that one and the same results for him.

my brother had one. Kept it for about 2 years. Great mileage, not so much at pulling anything

Reactions: M80

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
My Ram 3500 gets 13 mpg. When it comes to trucks and muscle cars mpg does not concern me. I'd restore a 1986 Honda Civic CRX HF if I was concerned about fuel mileage. They got about 49 mpg IIRC.