Nissan Frontier

hipster dufus

ok,i can give u real world ansewers. owned a 1986 nissan , bought used for 200$. boy used it in hs 05-07. wrecked 200k, got 1200 from insurance settlement. had a 94 4 cyl manual. drove it for 10 yrs, original cluthc. replaced a relay in it. no other issues. daughter,son n SIL all drove it. still own a 94 4 cyl manual, 208k. original clutch, replaced a reverse light switch. still drive it daily, 04 and 94 both towed my boats, 1500#. no issues. bought a bigger boat, was going to give grandson 04 but he is 6' 5 and wont fit. i bought a 2015 dc v6 auto. thought it was my last truck but bambi thought otherwise in august of 2020. 50499 miles when it was totaled. paid for.no issues whatsoever other then huge turning radius for a small truck. nissan changed engine in 2020. iwas not gon b a guinea pig. got a huge check from insurance and bought a 2020 tacoma. always liked em, thought they were overpriced.if the nissan redesign had a few more yrs on it i would hav went that way.my advice is to go manual and look at the previous generation w the 4.0. my 15 towed my 2000ask me if u hav anymore questions happy to ansewer.# boat and mileage dropped to 17-18.the 2.5 w a manual is bulletproof.

coolbreezeroho

Well Im in the marked for a new truck. Graniger Nissan in Anderson South Carolina has a life time warranty for their new cars and trucks. Has anyone had any dealings with them or know of any other lifetime warrantees that's out there by a new car dealerships ? Been searching the internet trying to find a deal as good as that closer to home The regular factory warranty and then the lifetime deal ....makes me go ...HMMMMMM

Robert28

All my grandpa bought was Datsun/Nissan trucks. The last one he had was a ‘95 and after he passed in 99 I drove it until 2011. All I ever did to it was a new battery a couple times and a fan belt. That’s it. I can’t speak for the cars but Nissan can build a small truck for sure!

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Not unless they just started doing so... Definitely wasn't in the last generation before this one. Seems like everyone who's done them has had problems with CVT's.

GTMODawg

BANNED
I have a 2012 Pro-4x 4-door with all the bells & whistles. Got about 86k on it right now; it had 8.5k on it when I got it in 2017. Been on many adventures in the mountains and down south with it, but nothing too wild. Got around with it just fine it Atlanta when I lived there. No real problems with it so far. Tire pressure sensor has been screwed up ever since I got it, but I'm used to checking it the old fashioned way. It's taken myself and 3 buddies on several camping trips in relative comfort, pulled a 4-door Mercedes on a trailer, pulled up a few stumps, etc. No real complaints from me.

There are a few limitations inherent to the platform which may or may not affect you... There's not a whole lot of aftermarket support if you're wanting to get into anything crazy... No way that I know of to re-gear the front differential outside of putting a Titan front end on (this doesn't concern me). The turn radius SUCKS, but you get used to it. The overhang in the back is pretty significant... I used to scrape it all the time going through dip on the way to a camping spot so my trailer hookup is busted.

Yeah that low tailgate height, while great for an old fat man like me when something slides just out of reach against the cab, has to come at some cost in entry angle. My current truck can't make a u turn on a 4 lane highway but I get that the turning radius for the vehicle size is not good....but I think after parking my current truck for 7 years it will see great to me LOL. My company truck is a 1/2 ton short bed single cab silverado and that thing is like one of them black cabs in london....I swear the rear axle must be turning also....that truck will turn around in the length of itself. Like all Chevy 4 WDs if you do so at any speed you think the front end has fell out from under it LOL. I am way past a point in my life where doing anything special with a vehicle is just not something im going to do...as long as you can get tires, oil filters and that sort of thing I am OK without having lift kits and fancy bumpers and offset wheels etc. My 4 wheeling is limited to locking it in on grass and leaves after its rained or the dew is heavy and the back tires just ain't getting it done....with the exception of living out west I could get by with a 2 wd...I did it almost my entire life when I lived in Georgia before. I will buy a 4 wd though because its far better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I like the Pro 4X but I don't think I would ever use those extras. The prices on them used with low mileage ain't bad though.....I havent seen anything about it with the Nissan but the GM midsize best towing capacity in a gas burner is higher in the 2 lowest trim models and the others decrease as the level of trim goes up. Apparently the Z82 and the AT have smaller radiators and transmission coolers due to hood styling. Im an old man so all I need it to do is not break down on the side of the road and cost me $500 a month in nagging sensor repairs and that sort of thing.....

GTMODawg

BANNED

The previous models do not, from what I have read, have CVT transmissions. They wouldn't have near the towing capacity that they claim to have if they did. The Pathfinder and the Frontier are the same vehicle for all practical purposes and the pathfinder also has an impressive towing capacity. By far the best in its class and with a third row of seating. I doubt anyone could sit in that row but its there.

Redbow

I have had a 2019 Nissan Frontier for over 3 years now with no issues at all. It gets around 18 mpg in town maybe 22 on the road but I like the truck. My Wife has a 2019 Nissan Rogue 4 cylinder she gets up to 40 mpg on the road and 34 or so in town. My Frontier is the 4 door model with a V6 engine plenty of power. I don't think I will ever buy another GM vehicle as my 2008 GMC Sierra had worn out steering and the front end also at 80,000 miles.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Sounds like you have the itch for a new truck. If you only drive 6-7000 miles a year the savings on gas will be slight.

Yeah and I highly doubt the current crisis lasts long... probably a year or less. Outside of getting something that is more practical around town there really ain't no reason for me to buy one. I love my GMC but it is a beast around town. Its also pretty hard on my yard when I back the boat in the shop. I could pour a driveway but kind of hate to do it. Your point is well taken though and exactly why I have kept my GMC as long as I have....its paid for, has 72,000 miles on it and is like brand new, but it is a monster to drive when it is driven. Great on the highway but it it is hard to park and takes 40 acres to turn around LOL. With the boat behind it it really takes some space!

Waddams

i've heard a lot of bad about the CVT's. my wife drives a 2013 murano with a CVT. so far no issues. before i traded my 03 frontier for the newer one, i'd taken it to a nissan specializing guy for a workup. the guy was a former head mechanic for nissan in GA. not a dealer guy mind you, he worked directly for nissan, and had struck out on his own to do high performance car builds, but also did regular work on nissan's since he knew about them well.

what he relayed about the cvt's was that if you used top quality (more expensive) fluid changes, and he had a few other pointers he knew about the CVT maintenance, he claimed the CVT held up just fine. his point was most of the dealers or other tranny maintenance places didn't do the maintenance right and that led to the problems. so far, with him doing the recommended maintenance work at the right mileage intervals, the 2013 murano we have with the CVT has held up great. i couldn't tell you more specifics, not my car so i stay out of it. wifey wants to do it herself so i let her!

GTMODawg

BANNED
I have had a 2019 Nissan Frontier for over 3 years now with no issues at all. It gets around 18 mpg in town maybe 22 on the road but I like the truck. My Wife has a 2019 Nissan Rogue 4 cylinder she gets up to 40 mpg on the road and 34 or so in town. My Frontier is the 4 door model with a V6 engine plenty of power. I don't think I will ever buy another GM vehicle as my 2008 GMC Sierra had worn out steering and the front end also at 80,000 miles.

I hear you about GM Trucks. They have had front end problems in every single model. I prefer GM to all others though because I have gotten the most use out of them with the least amount of problems....but they eat tires even today just like they did in the 60's and 70's. I sold a 1990 Tahoe I bought new 3 years ago that was approaching 500K miles (and never needed oil) and it never had anything done to it. Outside of oil changes and brakes I don't remember ever putting an alternator on it. It was one more ugly vehicle when I got rid of it....I had used it almost exclusively as a hunting wagon for 5 years and hadn't washed it in at least that long....and it just wouldn't stop. You can't beat a small block chevy engine and their transmissions are bullet proof in my experience. You also could not get that thing stuck....I tried many times. As good as a Jeep in most instances. I've had good luck with Dodges also, but everything bolted to a dodge that ain't the drivetrain will need repaired or replaced at about 100K miles. The drivetrain is great but from the fenders to the floor mats everything else is just junk. Surprisingly I have never owned a Ford that wasn't a NIGHTMARE...all the problems of a Dodge with the added issues of Ford's inability to build a motor or a transmission, at least in my experience. I could just have really bad luck but I have had a lot of Fords in the past because their commercial leasing used to be very favorable but they are just junk in my experience. I know other folks love them and have good luck with them....but I ain't a member of that tribe.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Yeah that low tailgate height, while great for an old fat man like me when something slides just out of reach against the cab, has to come at some cost in entry angle. My current truck can't make a u turn on a 4 lane highway but I get that the turning radius for the vehicle size is not good....but I think after parking my current truck for 7 years it will see great to me LOL. My company truck is a 1/2 ton short bed single cab silverado and that thing is like one of them black cabs in london....I swear the rear axle must be turning also....that truck will turn around in the length of itself. Like all Chevy 4 WDs if you do so at any speed you think the front end has fell out from under it LOL. I am way past a point in my life where doing anything special with a vehicle is just not something im going to do...as long as you can get tires, oil filters and that sort of thing I am OK without having lift kits and fancy bumpers and offset wheels etc. My 4 wheeling is limited to locking it in on grass and leaves after its rained or the dew is heavy and the back tires just ain't getting it done....with the exception of living out west I could get by with a 2 wd...I did it almost my entire life when I lived in Georgia before. I will buy a 4 wd though because its far better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I like the Pro 4X but I don't think I would ever use those extras. The prices on them used with low mileage ain't bad though.....I havent seen anything about it with the Nissan but the GM midsize best towing capacity in a gas burner is higher in the 2 lowest trim models and the others decrease as the level of trim goes up. Apparently the Z82 and the AT have smaller radiators and transmission coolers due to hood styling. Im an old man so all I need it to do is not break down on the side of the road and cost me $500 a month in nagging sensor repairs and that sort of thing.....
The overhangs would be greatly mitigated if they just tucked the trailer hook-up into the bumper like some of the aftermarket bumpers that do...

I was in the market for a 4-door 4WD, and I just happened to land on the extra features with the Pro-4X. But I will say that my favorite extras with that package are the heated seats, sun roof, and differential lock... It used to be that the diff lock was only available on the Pro-4X package, but I think the other extras were also on the other top-end package. The tires are also as large as you can go without scrubbing, and I belief the differentials are geared accordingly, though the gearing is very close to other trims.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Well Im in the marked for a new truck. Graniger Nissan in Anderson South Carolina has a life time warranty for their new cars and trucks. Has anyone had any dealings with them or know of any other lifetime warrantees that's out there by a new car dealerships ? Been searching the internet trying to find a deal as good as that closer to home The regular factory warranty and then the lifetime deal ....makes me go ...HMMMMMM
My last one came with a deal kind of like that. Anderson Nissan in Asheville. Free lifetime oil changes, and as long as I get the scheduled maintenance done at their dealership on time, they are supposed to replace anything that's lubricated as long as I own it.

GTMODawg

BANNED
i've heard a lot of bad about the CVT's. my wife drives a 2013 murano with a CVT. so far no issues. before i traded my 03 frontier for the newer one, i'd taken it to a nissan specializing guy for a workup. the guy was a former head mechanic for nissan in GA. not a dealer guy mind you, he worked directly for nissan, and had struck out on his own to do high performance car builds, but also did regular work on nissan's since he knew about them well.

what he relayed about the cvt's was that if you used top quality (more expensive) fluid changes, and he had a few other pointers he knew about the CVT maintenance, he claimed the CVT held up just fine. his point was most of the dealers or other tranny maintenance places didn't do the maintenance right and that led to the problems. so far, with him doing the recommended maintenance work at the right mileage intervals, the 2013 murano we have with the CVT has held up great. i couldn't tell you more specifics, not my car so i stay out of it. wifey wants to do it herself so i let her!

I was told by a Nissan mechanic when I was thinking about buying my son a Versa that the transmission would be fine as long as the engine temperature never got more than 10 -20 degrees above normal. If that is the case high end transmission fluid would definitely make a difference. Its might near impossible to know when a transmission is 10 degrees hotter than it should be....without a transmission temp gauge and then doing something about it would be a pain.

GTMODawg

BANNED
The overhangs would be greatly mitigated if they just tucked the trailer hook-up into the bumper like some of the aftermarket bumpers that do...

I was in the market for a 4-door 4WD, and I just happened to land on the extra features with the Pro-4X. But I will say that my favorite extras with that package are the heated seats, sun roof, and differential lock... It used to be that the diff lock was only available on the Pro-4X package, but I think the other extras were also on the other top-end package. The tires are also as large as you can go without scrubbing, and I belief the differentials are geared accordingly, though the gearing is very close to other trims.

The locking differential is a big deal....I forgot the 4X had one.

Redbow

I hear you about GM Trucks. They have had front end problems in every single model. I prefer GM to all others though because I have gotten the most use out of them with the least amount of problems....but they eat tires even today just like they did in the 60's and 70's. I sold a 1990 Tahoe I bought new 3 years ago that was approaching 500K miles (and never needed oil) and it never had anything done to it. Outside of oil changes and brakes I don't remember ever putting an alternator on it. It was one more ugly vehicle when I got rid of it....I had used it almost exclusively as a hunting wagon for 5 years and hadn't washed it in at least that long....and it just wouldn't stop. You can't beat a small block chevy engine and their transmissions are bullet proof in my experience. You also could not get that thing stuck....I tried many times. As good as a Jeep in most instances. I've had good luck with Dodges also, but everything bolted to a dodge that ain't the drivetrain will need repaired or replaced at about 100K miles. The drivetrain is great but from the fenders to the floor mats everything else is just junk. Surprisingly I have never owned a Ford that wasn't a NIGHTMARE...all the problems of a Dodge with the added issues of Ford's inability to build a motor or a transmission, at least in my experience. I could just have really bad luck but I have had a lot of Fords in the past because their commercial leasing used to be very favorable but they are just junk in my experience. I know other folks love them and have good luck with them....but I ain't a member of that tribe.

I have owned them all American made cars and trucks and never had a really bad one over six decades of driving. Ford used to be my # 1 vehicle until I found out I could by any other American made car cheaper. I drove GM vehicles for 30 years but I found their quality isn't what it used to be. I agree the small block GM engine is a great one. I have owned 3 Dodge Trucks over the years and never had a problem with them. The Dodge Dakota my Wife drove for 12 years was the best one we every had with Dodge on it. Not a single issue with that truck not even a light bulb change in 12 years of driving it.

I still have a Chevy Silverado '86 model its been a great truck over the years but they don't make them like it anymore.

transfixer

They aren't using them in their trucks as far as I know,, there was a rumor they were going to try , but I haven't seen one, although I was told the newer Pathfinders are CVT's , we've not seen one come in yet,,

Nissan settled a suit on the early CVT's, mostly Murano's I believe, and had extended the warranty on most cvt vehicles to 120k, but that only went up to 2010,, we're replacing units on vehicles after that, weekly, have a couple in the shop here right now,

The issue with CVT's are its a metal belt, under pressure between two metal pulleys which are cone shaped, and in order for that to hold, the transmission runs between 800 psi and 1000psi line pressure just to keep that metal belt from slipping, that much pressure wears out valve bores and valvebodies, and then the belt slips and damages the metal pulleys, when they work right, they get excellent mileage, cause they have an infinite gear ratio ,,, in order to get the most efficiency from the engine,

Replacement units from Nissan only come with a 12,000 mile warranty,, no exceptions,, and Nissan or the original manufacturer of the trans doesn't even supply them, all Nissan dealer replacement units are rebuilt by a company called Berkley Standard