Tacoma Owners Question

snooker1

How does the Tacoma with the 6 cylinder tow. I have never owned a Toyota and the last 6 cylinder I owned was an inline 300. I am only looking to pull my 17 foot boat, (maybe weighs 1500 pounds). I have read all about its towing capacity, but I would rather hear from someone who actually has one and has towed with it.

I have always been a Ford person, but todays Ford are not what they used to be.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
My 2012 Tacoma Prerunner Off Road pulls and stops my 20 foot Xpress bay boat and my 16 foot river boat with no trouble at all. The bay boat weighs between 1500 and 2000 pounds, and the river boat I`d guess around 800 pounds or so.

snooker1

My 2012 Tacoma Prerunner Off Road pulls and stops my 20 foot Xpress bay boat and my 16 foot river boat with no trouble at all. The bay boat weighs between 1500 and 2000 pounds, and the river boat I`d guess around 800 pounds or so.

Are you happy with the Tacoma,

Taco4x4

I have a 2015 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 with the 4.0 and regularly pull my 20' 2" Skeeter with it. I pull it in 4th not Drive with no problem. Been doing this since the day I bought it in early 2016. O you know its back there and try to give yourself plenty of stopping room just incase of a sudden stop.

I love watching those big full size trucks try to pull there boats out with there two wheel drive. Smoking them tires. I back up and hook mine up and click my high 4 switch a creep out without ever spinning a tire. Big ain't always better. lol

Tight Lines

I have a 2015 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 with the 4.0 and regularly pull my 20' 2" Skeeter with it. I pull it in 4th not Drive with no problem. Been doing this since the day I bought it in early 2016. O you know its back there and try to give yourself plenty of stopping room just incase of a sudden stop.

I love watching those big full size trucks try to pull there boats out with there two wheel drive. Smoking them tires. I back up and hook mine up and click my high 4 switch a creep out without ever spinning a tire. Big ain't always better. lol
Do you have the tow package?

dang

DANG !!!
I pull my 19ft fiberglass bay boat with a 2014 4 cyl Tacoma. 4wd. IMO it does fine. I’m sure the 6 cylinder would be even fine-er :bounce:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
You’ll love it ! I’ve pulled all types of boats and a couple times a year , pull a 25ft camper with mine . I will admit the camper is a little much but it does fine

sghoghunter

I’ve got a 2011 and it’s pulled everything I’ve hooked to it fine. My latest pull was taking my tractor to our lease last weekend. On flat ground I couldn’t tell it was back there but once I got to them hills in quitman co I got reminded it was still there. I would for sure recommend a brake controller if your boat trailer has electric brakes.

Attachments

• 6B32CDB1-8EA0-4AEC-A905-D326DDE8FE24.jpeg
    6B32CDB1-8EA0-4AEC-A905-D326DDE8FE24.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 0986C031-3F04-451F-AC54-BEB84236C84C.png
    0986C031-3F04-451F-AC54-BEB84236C84C.png
    969.2 KB · Views: 46

Brifish

I have a 2020 off road. It tows my 6x10 cargo trailer fine about 3000lbs loaded. No lack of power, terrible gas mileage, 9 mpg. You can feel it when you stop for sure but it’s safe. I tow my skiff all the time and hardly know it’s there.

TurkeyH90

I have a 2011. I would backup everything that has been said. I pull a 16' stick to the Altamaha often. I like to put supreme gas in it so I have some left when I get there. Gas mileage while towing is horrible but it gets the job done.

Headshot

i have a 4-door 2014 Tacoma TRD Sport with 4x4 and tow package. What I tow (occassionally) is a 6x12 single axel utility trailer (<1,000 #'s empty) + the load. No problems stopping, starting or running. Recently hauled about 600 # load on the trailer from Hall Co to Schley Co on interstates and other roads. I did not use cruise control or shift to "4" with the transmission. NO problems towing and kept up with traffic.

Oldstick

My 07 TRD Sport (2WD) pulls our 4000 lb camper pretty well. Not that it is a whole lot of fun going into hilly areas though. It needs to have the full towing package though to get the supposed 6000+ capacity that they advertise. I figure I am right near that limit when you factor in extra cargo and hills and such.

As far as liking this truck, YES. I am not planning on parting with it until either it dies or I do. 150K and zero problems except a couple that were factory recalls.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
I forgot to say they're rated to pull about 6800 lbs.
Which is smoke and mirrors..but Toyota isn't the only manufacturer that applies that theory ;)

2 of my boys own 21's. They both like em. Have had no issues.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I have a 2017 Tacoma off road with towing package. Does everything I need.

Reactions: Dub

HavocLover

I have a 2017... I pull my polaris ranger and my sons polaris 200, together, on a 7x12 often and it handles it just fine. Actually hard to notice its there. I do notice the difference once I throw 300lbs of feed and seed in the back with that load. Probably more to do with it squatting like crazy at that point. I have a 1553 aluminum boat as well and you cant tell a thing when I'm hooked up to it.

I love mine but I'll say this... once you get folks in the cab, youre reminded quickly its a midsize truck. Me and all my buddies are pretty big fellas so it gets cramped quick. And although I love my 2017.... They arent the same trucks as everyone knows them to be. In terms of creature comforts and all that, my 2017 all the way. But as far as romping through the woods and hunting out of it nonstop... my vote is for the 87 4runner, multiple 90s pickups and 99 Tacoma I used to own.