Nissan Frontier

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Don’t quote me on this but I think the new Fronteirs use the same 9 speed as the Titan now and it’s made by ZF I think?
My 2018 has a 5-speed automatic with a manual mode, with gear ratios that correspond to a manual five-speed. So they apparently changed with the new style.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
i have heard the ZF transmissions are good to go

(but i aint no mechanic)
Good. I have been thinking about trading mine in before 100k. It's a trade-in market at the moment, and I'd like to retire with a non-worn out truck that was mostly paid for.

transfixer

i have heard the ZF transmissions are good to go

(but i aint no mechanic)

ZF units are generally very good, they still have issues, but overall usually last a good long time, I'm not sure if Nissan is using a ZF on the newer models or not ? I've not heard anything to that effect, they've generally only used transmissions made by Jatco,

Triple C

ZF units are generally very good, they still have issues, but overall usually last a good long time, I'm not sure if Nissan is using a ZF on the newer models or not ? I've not heard anything to that effect, they've generally only used transmissions made by Jatco,
transfixer - What make do you consider having the best transmission today? My 2017 GMC Sierra is north of 90K miles and as I near retirement, I'm thinking I would be just fine with a midsize. Driven GMC's since 2008 n no issues so far with any of em.

transfixer

That is kind of a difficult question, a lot depends on what you will use the truck for , you have a good transmission in that truck, the only fault with it is the way GM has it programmed, the torque converter will fail at some point , possibly in the near future, they have the converter locking up very early in 1st or 2nd gear, which puts a lot of strain on the converter clutch, and ultimately causes it to fail , when we rebuild them we reprogram the trans computer to delay lockup til 5th gear, which gives it a better longer life,

Toyota trucks have very good automatic transmissions, usually only thing ever fails are a couple solenoids on the valvebody, upwards of 100k, replace those when they fail and its easily a 200k plus transmission, the Nissan trucks that have the 5spd automatics are good, not sure about newer model Nissans , as we haven't seen them yet, but that is a good sign, Dodge trucks,,, avoid,,,, Ford trucks,, most F150's are okay for light duty use, 250's, 350's, are actually pretty decent, if you have to have something to tow heavy loads, GM trucks using the Allison units are some of the most trouble free, mechanical wise, but have electrical issues related to wiring /computers more than anything else

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Also in the market for a new truck but just can't get over the prices right now. I drive an old beater 1994 Toyota now but had a 1997 Nissan regular cab 4X4 new until my wife got pregnant, and it was one heck of a truck. I know that it's not a Frontier, but Nissan makes a great truck.

Only problems that I ever had with my Nissan was fixing the damage that I did to while being stupid. Thing would climb a tree.

Geffellz18

Also in the market for a new truck but just can't get over the prices right now. I drive an old beater 1994 Toyota now but had a 1997 Nissan regular cab 4X4 new until my wife got pregnant, and it was one heck of a truck. I know that it's not a Frontier, but Nissan makes a great truck.

Only problems that I ever had with my Nissan was fixing the damage that I did to while being stupid. Thing would climb a tree.

You’re 94 yota would most likely outlast any new truck out there! I wish I had mine back.
Also had a Nissan Hardbody too…Heck of a truck. Couldn’t hardly kill either one of them trucks…The body and frame will rust off it before the drivetrain goes with proper care.

My uncle still has a hardbody as a beat around truck for yard work, etc., but is in very good shape due to the care he takes with his things. There’s rarely a time he is driving it where he’s not approached about selling it.

Mattval

I have been looking at Frontier as well. I want 4WD 4 door with a camper shell. I wish the bed was a little longer but I think not will be ideal for me.

georgiabound

I drove a 2009 Xterra for 9 years. It was absolutely the best vehicle I've ever owned. I would still be driving it but, almost a year ago; I was in an accident which totaled my vehicle. I found a 2015 Frontier, crew cab, 2wd and purchased it. It is about the same vehicle as the Xterra. So far, I have no complaints. If it is half the vehicle the Xterra was, I'm good!

GTMODawg

BANNED
I don't know of anything on earth more useless than a 2wd truck. At least in my world.

I don't need one often but when I do it is usually needed badly LOL. My truck will get stuck on wet grass under a load with the front tire pulling...with it it is almost a tanlk.

GTMODawg

BANNED
I drove a 2009 Xterra for 9 years. It was absolutely the best vehicle I've ever owned. I would still be driving it but, almost a year ago; I was in an accident which totaled my vehicle. I found a 2015 Frontier, crew cab, 2wd and purchased it. It is about the same vehicle as the Xterra. So far, I have no complaints. If it is half the vehicle the Xterra was, I'm good!

I hunted ducks with a guy years ago who drove an xterra and that thing would go anywhere.

killerv

I would not buy a nissan built after 2000ish, everyone I know that has had issues, whether it be a frontier, maxima, sentra, altima, pathfinder.....nissan has gone down hill.

If you do go with a frontier, make sure it has a transmission cooler.

transfixer

I would not buy a nissan built after 2000ish, everyone I know that has had issues, whether it be a frontier, maxima, sentra, altima, pathfinder.....nissan has gone down hill.

The rear wheel drives after 2000 are fine actually, the only issue they have had has been related to faulty radiators,, letting the glycol anti freeze get into the transmission fluid, which causes failures, you can either replace the radiator or simply bypass the radiator as far as transmission cooler lines are concerned and install an auxiliary cooler in front of the radiator ,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

That is the exact opposite of my experience. Between my wife and I, we have owned 5 post-2000 Nissans, and haven't had a single issue out of a one of them. Most dependable vehicles I've ever owned. I put 300k on one Frontier without replacing a single moving part except brakes. Two Frontiers with about 70k and 67k at the moment, not a single issue with either, Rogue with about 60k, not a single issue so far. Sentra driven by my wife for 16 years and 200k, replaced one starter, no other issues. I sure can't say that for the other brands of vehicles I've owned (most of the common ones.)

Geffellz18

The rear wheel drives after 2000 are fine actually, the only issue they have had has been related to faulty radiators,, letting the glycol anti freeze get into the transmission fluid, which causes failures, you can either replace the radiator or simply bypass the radiator as far as transmission cooler lines are concerned and install an auxiliary cooler in front of the radiator ,

From my experience, this is spot on.
I wouldn’t purchase a newer FWD Nissan, but the RWD ones should be good to go.
I owned several older sentras with the 1.8l and every one of them were pretty much bullet proof…Mid 2000’s changed that.
My 2003 pathfinder has been an absolute BEAST off road. Had a few minor issues with it, but all have been inflicted by me pushing it to its limits…Things like bent lower control arm, crankshaft position sensor, power steering pressure sensors going bad due to creek crossing and being exposed to the ground from deep ruts, etc. but it’s still trucking away!
Gas mileage sux pretty bad is the only real draw back, but I really enjoy it. It’s my second PF and is the last body style that was pretty much a truck based platform, not the crossover, fake 4wd/Awd mess.