What is the best deal on corn and also feed?

Paul Cataldo

I’ve seen guys selling 55gal drums of corn on marketplace but I’m always leary because I don’t know if the corn will be good or rejected by the deer. I’ve actually had some corn from Tractor Supply that the deer rejected and I never really knew why. It wasn’t molded. Maybe it was just the smell or an odor it took on? I guess I’m wondering if you guys have ever gone to one of these suppliers that sells corn by the 55gal drum? What is considered a good deal/price?
Secondly, with regards to supplemental feed, I’ve got a buddy who was buying whole pallets of buck muscle for $650. I think he said a pallet lasted about 3 months, but this is still kind of expensive so I’m wondering what all you guys do and what is the cost?

Bud Man

I use both the buck muscle and bulk corn, definitely no rejection by the deer lol. Look me up on the marketplace.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve never had an issue buying corn in bulk . If you are in farming country you can get a really good deal on it . But for $55-65 people are wanting for a barrel now days it’s not worth the hassle to save a couple dollars on to me . 50lb bags are so much easier to deal with . Some farmers in south ga are bagging it and if you get a pallet it’s less than $8 a bag , last year . If I was feeding protein religiously I’d also find somewhere to buy it in bulk

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Check the Farmers Market Bulletin. I see folks advertising it there. I saw one guy even selling the 55 gallon barrels with lids

Bud Man

For comparison the 55 gallon drums in corn/farming country can be one price and in the northern half of the state it will definitely be more. Around my area in North Georgia $65 is a good deal, and during harvest season in South Georgia I have bought it as cheap as $45. It can be inconvenient to move it with 5 gallon buckets but just this weekend I brought 2,675 lb from North Georgia to South Georgia and I was going anyways but our corn savings versus buying it from the local retailer was $174. As far as the protein goes, there is excellent alternatives to the bag pellets /protein such as raw soybeans from a farmer's field, way way way cheaper if you have a way to get access to that.

For comparison the 55 gallon drums in corn/farming country can be one price and in the northern half of the state it will definitely be more. Around my area in North Georgia $65 is a good deal, and during harvest season in South Georgia I have bought it as cheap as $45. It can be inconvenient to move it with 5 gallon buckets but just this weekend I brought 2,675 lb from North Georgia to South Georgia and I was going anyways but our corn savings versus buying it from the local retailer was $174. As far as the protein goes, there is excellent alternatives to the bag pellets /protein such as raw soybeans from a farmer's field, way way way cheaper if you have a way to get access to that.
Exactly right ! On the corn prices north vs south. I have seen the same

sghoghunter

Trough feeder or spin style sg ? Where approximately are you located ? That's a great deal on the corn.

They are banks gravity feeders. I’m down in south Ga around Tifton. If you can find a local farmer that sells corn it’ll be way cheaper than in town

Attachments

• IMG_0114.png
    IMG_0114.png
    859.6 KB · Views: 29

Paul Cataldo

Ok guys so I’ve done some quick and dirty research and it looks like the cheapest I’ve seen corn is $10 per 50lb bag or .20 cents per pound. Even buying in 55gal drums it’s the same price and if I can find it already bagged then why would I care to deal with a huge 300lb drum that I’ll have to deal with. Even with good hoists and all sorts of equipment I have, it’s still not really worth the hassle in getting it deep into the woods where I go.
If anyone here has any sort of advice on other attractants or feeds that are any cheaper, I’m all ears.
I did see a guy selling corn cobs by the bag and while I’ve not done any figuring here, it doesn’t really seem like there is any savings to be had here either.
I wish someone sold white oak acorns by the drum full. Now that is something I’d be all over.
Does anyone have any other recommendations on a feed that will pull deer away from all the other hunters corn piles in the county and pull them away from your typical corn pile? I’ve only ever used corn personally. Guess I gotta go find some crop producing white oak trees to set under but that’s only a limited time and then they’re gone and eaten up.

Jim Boyd

Pretty sure we paid $45 last year at local farm.

Anecdotally, I saw someone shelling corn this past weekend. Yes - mid July!

frankwright

My hunting partner has bought several 55 gallon barrels full of corn. He has tractors and can unload it off a truck!
It is always pretty dirty and the debris will stop up a feeder spinner so we quit buying it especially when bag price is not that much difference and it is much cleaner.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
The corn u are getting now is last years corn that’s bagged. Just saying is all. They have not had time to harvest dry corn yet and bag it. I guess not that it matters.
The corn by bulk from a farmer later on will be what was grown this year.

Paul Cataldo

Has anyone here used Backwoods Attraction Buck Duo? Found some at a super cheap price today. Anyone used it?

Attachments

• 216AC121-B94B-434F-BADC-0C4EB1C7A088.png
    216AC121-B94B-434F-BADC-0C4EB1C7A088.png
    343.5 KB · Views: 16
  • B2963B97-C7BE-4CD4-B7F8-4306D7D5F25F.png
    B2963B97-C7BE-4CD4-B7F8-4306D7D5F25F.png
    142 KB · Views: 16

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Has anyone here used Backwoods Attraction Buck Duo? Found some at a super cheap price today. Anyone used it?
No but I’m sure they’ll eat it . Academy and Walmart sale something with pellets and corn mixed and they eat it . Give it a try and let us know

Paul Cataldo

Well I came across a pallet of this Backwoods Attraction Duo for $5 a bag which is less than 50% normal price so me and a buddy tried about 30 bags of it out. I really don’t know why it was so cheap but hoping it’s not because it’s bad stuff. My buddy was there actually buying it so I wasn’t present. That’s all I know. He put a bag out tonight in his yard for a test so we will see what happens. Apparently this stuff is corn mixed with soybeans and some apple thrown in or something to that affect. If anyone has ever used this or the similar “Trio” formula they also sell, by all means, I’d like to hear from you.

Latest posts