What is the best deal on corn and also feed?

Blackston

D
For comparison the 55 gallon drums in corn/farming country can be one price and in the northern half of the state it will definitely be more. Around my area in North Georgia $65 is a good deal, and during harvest season in South Georgia I have bought it as cheap as $45. It can be inconvenient to move it with 5 gallon buckets but just this weekend I brought 2,675 lb from North Georgia to South Georgia and I was going anyways but our corn savings versus buying it from the local retailer was $174. As far as the protein goes, there is excellent alternatives to the bag pellets /protein such as raw soybeans from a farmer's field, way way way cheaper if you have a way to get access to that.
Did ya stay in the Southern lease ?

Mac

Went yesterday to get some bulk corn from a feed store. I ordered 400 pounds in a bulk bag. Got there and it had a bunch of powder in it where the bugs and been eating it. I passed on the stuff. It was .19 cents a pound so 9.50 per 50 lb bag.

Davexx1

I bought corn from TSC for hog traps, and it is full of dust and those little black corn weevil bugs. Thousands of them and the corn is probably full of bug poop. The hogs don't seem to mind. I wouldn't put it in a deer feeder. I don't know if the bugs are harmful to the animals or not if they are ingested.

The other brand (CS) is a little more expensive, is much cleaner, and so far, no bugs. $13.99.

Paul Cataldo

Best thing we have done is buy a gravity wagon and fill it….$7 bushel last fill up
Can you explain this more in depth please? I honestly don’t understand what a bushel (of corn?) means or what a gravity wagon is and how this setup differs from putting loose corn into any gravity type feeder??? Thanks.

Mexican Squealer

Gravity wagon is a wagon you pull to the place you get corn and get it filled. Mine holds around 150 bushels and makes it much cheaper to purchase corn. So you are getting 7,000-8,000 pounds of corn and can store it in the wagon. Door at the bottom allows you to fill bags, buckets or whatever when you need to. You can get a used one for around $1,000. Pays for itself pretty quickly if you feed a club or a good chunk of property. Bushel is 56 lbs
3FD42C33-F5AE-4812-A55D-78C4925B06C9.jpeg

Paul Cataldo

So is a bushel made up of corn cobs though? Or loose kernel corn? Bushel to me, seems to imply corn cobs, just as they have been picked off the plant

Paul Cataldo

Btw, based on your numbers, if you got 7500lbs, I’m showing you paid about $.14/lb, or in other words, you are saving about $.06-.07 cents per pound going it this way. (I think most corn in bags or drums is selling for $.20 per pound cheapest you can find it)
I like your style. That’s a sweet method right there.

Btw, based on your numbers, if you got 7500lbs, I’m showing you paid about $.14/lb, or in other words, you are saving about $.06-.07 cents per pound going it this way. (I think most corn in bags or drums is selling for $.20 per pound cheapest you can find it)
I like your style. That’s a sweet method right there.
I believe he was giving you and estimate not exact figures

Paul Cataldo

So, are you telling anyone where this 5.00 a bag stuff is
A buddy got it down in Greenville in Meriwether county. I honestly don’t know Greenville that well and didn’t ask him but if you know that part of town, I’m sure it won’t be hard to find out. Only so many places down there. I could ask him tomorrow if need be.

A buddy got it down in Greenville in Meriwether county. I honestly don’t know Greenville that well and didn’t ask him but if you know that part of town, I’m sure it won’t be hard to find out. Only so many places down there. I could ask him tomorrow if need be.
Yeah let us know our place is in Greenville

Greenhead

Thanks. Most likely Sentry Hardware. I pass through there a lot and buy corn from them a good bit

SRShunter

I think we should take "good deal" out of our vocabulary anymore. Who would have ever thought inflation would go this high and get so bad. With all the self proclaimed smart people in the world today you would think things would be cheaper. Sorry ramt over, but I believed that helped me....