Rebarell Options ??????

GregoryB.

I have an old 700 Sendero in 300 Win Mag that already has the barrel removed. I want to rebarrel it and change the caliber to 257 Weatherby this summer. Question is should I have a gunsmith do the work or just send it to a barrel maker and have them do the whole thing ? I see that several barrel makers offer this service. Thanks for any input.

Jester896

Senior Clown
they both have the same bolt face so it shouldn't be an issue. You could Remage it and get a headspace gauge and do it yourself if you have a stock that works.

your not in GA anymore...right?

GregoryB.

they both have the same bolt face so it shouldn't be an issue. You could Remage it and get a headspace gauge and do it yourself if you have a stock that works.

your not in GA anymore...right?
I am in WV now. Douglas Barrels is about 100 miles away from me in Charleston WV. Haven’t had any luck finding a good Gunsmith any where close.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Jeff Walker @ Walker Custom Rifles in Winston, VA

I believe one of my rifles has a Douglas barrel in it

Clemson

Douglas does a fine job on rebarreling.

GregoryB.

Didn’t make it by Douglas Barrels yesterday while in Charleston. Have to go back at the end of March so I will have all day to stop and visit. Think I will take my action with me and maybe just seal the deal while I am there. Thinking a 1-8 or 1-9 twist in the 257 Weatherby to take advantage of the heavier bullets like the Hammer Bullets. On a positive I did stop by Cabela’s there and lucked into 2k Large Rifle primers. Used my Military discount and some rewards points and it made the price a lot better especially without the hazmat fee. Now I need to locate some primers for the Weatherby.

GregoryB.

Appreciate the offer but it may be cheaper to pay HazMat and Gunbroker prices than to drive down to GA in my truck from WV. Now f the Wife would let me use her car I could drive all over the US shopping for deals.