Red dot sights work just fine

bighonkinjeep

I'm of the opinion that red dots cover too much of the aiming point for my bolt actions and in doing so negate the precise bullet placement and range they are capable of. Others may have different uses and expectations from their bolt rifles. Just a personal opinion based on the capabilitys of modern bolt action rifles and the way the majority of them are used, I wouldn't recommend a red dot as a first choice on a bolt action either. To each their own.

GregoryB.

I use a Reflex style red dot on my Contender 44 mag pistol. Works great out to 50 yards for me. Would like to get a Burris Fast Fire mounted to my Hawken. Older eyes make it harder to see those sights. Trad Nuts would probably freak but I could still hunt with it.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I use a Reflex style red dot on my Contender 44 mag pistol. Works great out to 50 yards for me. Would like to get a Burris Fast Fire mounted to my Hawken. Older eyes make it harder to see those sights. Trad Nuts would probably freak but I could still hunt with it.

The strangest red dot combo I have seen was on an old buddy's left handed Remington 700 in .458 Win Mag.

He's done the Africa Thing several times, and when he lived in South Georgia he wanted to use that rifle for hunting here..lol

He's a reloader, so he cooked up a VERY reduced 100 yard type load for a big cast bullet, slapped a red dot on top, and away he went killing Ga. Whitetails with a .458 WM and a red dot.

This same old guy has a 1987 Low Rider that he bought new, has over 300,000 miles on.

Guido is quite a character...

Darkhorse

At least 20, probably more, years ago I bought a Aimpoint SC1000 on sale for around $400. I promptly mounted it to a shotgun sighted it in and went dove hunting. It didn't work for me so off it came.
Some time later I bought my Tikka in .308 win. My dream scope for this rifle was a Zeiss 3X9X40 but I didn't have $500 to spare after buying the rifle. And this was deer season so I mounted the red dot and hunted with it the rest of the year. Shortly after the Zeiss went on sale and I had/still have my dream scope.
My problem with the red dot for deer hunting is no magnification, that and I'm an older guy sorta set in my ways and expect to see crosshairs. It just doesn't work for me and I can't get past it.
That doesn't mean I'm against them and don't see a use for them, because I'm not and I do see the worth. I fabricated a mount to use it on my custom flintlock that I deer hunt with. Worked great but for obvious reasons I just couldn't use it. It's something to be remembered when failing eyesight calls for it.
A few years ago I mounted it to my old Ruger 44 mag. auto carbine. Since this is a close range setup all shooting was done at 50 yards using 296 and 2400 powder with 240 grain softpoints. Even though the dot covered the X I managed to keep my groups around 1 1/2", which is way better than needed. And somehow it just felt better on that little carbine. It had found a home.
I haven't hunted it yet due to using other rifles and seldom think about but one day I'm going to pull it out of the safe and try to get a deer with it.
I'm willing to give that red dot another chance.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have a couple on MSRs and 1 on a pistol. I also have a 1-6X24 on my DMR. It is kinda nice. If you use it at 1X it could be considered a Red Dot since you can use the larger red circle inside for the dot so to speak...then there are trad type crosshairs with a BDC reticle. I have run it out to 400 or so and at the true 1X both eyes open....pretty versatile

Bobby Bigtime

My best friend and I when they first came out bought 450 marlins. He bought the guide gun and I bought the Winchester timber carbine. Hunting the thick river bottom and 300 pound bucks we began tipping over some good ones. the reasoning was to get them anchored before they could cross the river. They both proved to be just about perfect for what we were doing. My timber carbine is gone( not one of my better moves) but he continues to knock down a big buck every year with the guide gun. His is equipped with the Bushnell holosight ( they were made by eotech back then) and has no intention of using anything else on the river. My timber carbine had an aimpoint. I know some of you are thinking 300 pound bucks ya whatever but one of mine dressed 248 and one of his went 267 a few years back are all of them that big? No but some of them are.

Last edited:

GeorgiaGlockMan

I have a SIG romeo 5 on a 12 gauge and it is compact and has held up well.
Thanks.

I bought a red dot sig romeo yesterday.

Attached it to the dp12 and it seems to co-witness with the magpul flip up sights really well.

I should get a chance to shoot again with it later this week.

What a deal it was $129 from Franklin's in Athens.

I may go get another couple to finish some older ARs that just have irons.

Bobby Bigtime

The Romeo 7 is really nice. It has done well on my ranch rifle in 450 bushmaster. If I didn't have a vortex on my ar 450 I wouldn't hesitate to slap one on there. I wish I had a six pack of those Romeo 5's