Redlands WMA 93 doe days!

trkyhntr70

Redlands is way to scattered to ever have much in the way of managed hunts. I'm sure it will probably go back to being handled by the USFS soon, as Carl will be retiring in a year. Living in the middle of it, I will hate to see him leave. I remember before it was placed in a WMA, it was like the old west. Carl really cleaned it up.

I hate to see Carl go; He's a good one, It wont be the same when he retires.

Tailfeather

Well that's precisely why I think it should go back to the forest service. There is no game mangement on the Redlands WMA. And for anyone who hunts out there, ya'll know exactly what I'm talking about, very weak deer populations.
Strange. I've never had a problem killing deer or turkeys on Redlands.

Its kind of nice to have a place you can hunt anytime it strikes your fancy, rather than waiting for a quota or check-in hunt. If you don't like Redlands, put in for the Oconee WMA hunts....or go to Cedar Creek during their hunts. That way everybody wins. :cheers:

j_seph

so as of today how many deer have been killed down there?

Etter2

Banned
The first year I hunted Redlands was 2001. There were a lot more deer back then. The population has decreased significantly IMO but you can still kill them regularly if you will work a little harder. Same can be said for turkeys. PLENTY of them left on the place.

Tailfeather is right about Cedar Creek. We hunted it a ton in the last 10 years and I don't ever remember going down there without seeing deer.

Pablo15

Meat Hunter is correct. Wide open ES days have devastated the deer herd the deer herd on Redlands WMA. Nn top of that the USFS hasn't cut timber on Redlands since the mid 80s. Big woods full of nothing and a forestry commission which has an almost sadistic fascination with burning the woods every other year.

Oh yes. A true WMA worthy of all the $19 stamps.

ES days from day 1????????Really necessary when its a novelty to see a deer crossing any of the WMA roads?

Increasing opportunity to hunt? No one said anything about cutting the number of BO days. Just doe days. Sorry fellas. More often than not hunts on Redlands equate to a big goose egg without even seeing a single deer.

Ive always thought that the reasoning behind the wide open ES days is that it makes for an easy gig for the game warden. No need to run check points when its ES all season long. No complaints to investigate of a doe killed on a BO day. Yes. An easy assignment. One less law to enforce.

While we are on it lets talk about Cedar Creek. This year its 3 BO and 1 ES day for 2 hunts, Then sign in BO. Bottom line, a drastic reduction in doe days after what 5 years of wanton blow em up kill em all DNR style game management. Why?

Latest posts