Redlands WMA buck

DoberMan

Nice! I've come to the opinion that there are likely many more such specimens on public land that nobody ever sees and they are just better in the woods than hunters for the most part.
I have to agree. I believe that there are good bucks on most all of our public lands, you just gotta have the skill set to identify and be able to hunt them properly. Definitely a skill not easily learned, at least for me.

Waddams

Nice! I've come to the opinion that there are likely many more such specimens on public land that nobody ever sees and they are just better in the woods than hunters for the most part.

nmurph

I found this rub at Redlands yesterday. That is a great buck View attachment 1046630

Likely used by more than one buck. May or may not have been started by a large buck. Like scrape size, there's not a direct correlation bw rub size and rack size. I've witnessed small basket rack buck hit a tree that size. Now, if you're talking a scrape on a tree the size of your thigh, I would doubt a spike could have made it!

The Donk

There's good deer on the Redlands. We have located a few and blown several opportunities this year alone. If I wasnt in the mountains this weekend with family, I'd have high hopes for bagging one with the cold front moving in.

Navigator0321

There's good deer on the Redlands. We have located a few and blown several opportunities this year alone. If I wasnt in the mountains this weekend with family, I'd have high hopes for bagging one with the cold front moving in.
Yep, plenty of good deer spread over 35,000 acres.

chris41081

Likely used by more than one buck. May or may not have been started by a large buck. Like scrape size, there's not a direct correlation bw rub size and rack size. I've witnessed small basket rack buck hit a tree that size. Now, if you're talking a scrape on a tree the size of your thigh, I would doubt a spike could have made it!

Yes, you are correct. I make no assumptions on rack size based on a rub. I found 5 other rubs similar to this one within 100 yds of each other. It's enough to peak my interest in finding out who made them.

furtaker

Yep, I once watched a forkhorn rub the daylights out of a very nice sized sapling.

I used to think a huge scrape meant a huge buck. Then trail cameras came along and you get 2 spikes, 2 small 6s, and a small 8 pawing out the same scrape.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I have a creek crossing on core land. If i leave a trailcam on it all thru the rut. Theres always one stud roaming around. Most of the time theres more than one. Most of them are not regulars. The regulars almost never show up during the day. In this particular spot they come and go from private land across the road.