Rednecks Invading Europe

slow motion

This was also shared by the tour. Just at the corner from the hotel. Said there was a gate tax and people were unable to pay to leave. So worlds end. Didn't verify this one.
IMG_20230616_131227.jpgIMG_20230616_131207.jpgIMG_20230616_131159.jpgIMG_20230616_131220.jpg

London tour guide stories. Unverified. Origin of sayings.
#1 One for the road. Before heading over to be hanged prisoners we're given 1 last drink.
#2 On the wagon. After final drink prisoners were loaded into a wagon and taken to be hanged. Once on the wagon you will never drink again.
#3 Hungover. Oliver Cromwell. You'll can look him up if you like. He was beheaded. A couple years later he was dug up. Head sewn back on and hung.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
I don't remember if they changed the laws or not, but stock up on chocolate before you head back. They use real milk instead of the powder that we use in the US (or they did, haven't been over since 2017). Good for bribery. The purple Cadbury seem to get good results. :bounce:

Toliver

This was also shared by the tour. Just at the corner from the hotel. Said there was a gate tax and people were unable to pay to leave. So worlds end. Didn't verify this one.
View attachment 1233471View attachment 1233472View attachment 1233474View attachment 1233475

London tour guide stories. Unverified. Origin of sayings.
#1 One for the road. Before heading over to be hanged prisoners we're given 1 last drink.
#2 On the wagon. After final drink prisoners were loaded into a wagon and taken to be hanged. Once on the wagon you will never drink again.
#3 Hungover. Oliver Cromwell. You'll can look him up if you like. He was beheaded. A couple years later he was dug up. Head sewn back on and hung.
I wonder if that's the same World's End as in the movie The World's End with Simon Pegg when he and his friends are on a 12 Pint Pub Crawl and have to defeat aliens to finish at the World's End pub.

Either way, I'm guessing there would be the origin of the term "fell off the wagon" when one resumes drinking.

Very interesting stuff. I love origin stories. The ones about Scrooge and Hyde are very cool.

slow motion

Walked from Son's house to his local, term for pub closest to you or that you go to most maybe?, for supper and a pint in their garden.
IMG_20230616_213924.jpgIMG_20230616_213929.jpg

Started with bread and a side of onion rings.
IMG_20230616_213956.jpgIMG_20230616_213947.jpg
Boys had fish n chips and a beer.
IMG_20230616_213940.jpgIMG_20230616_214004.jpg

She had pork belly and a cider

IMG_20230616_213934.jpgIMG_20230616_214010.jpg
Tasty. About to crash for the night. Cambridge tomorrow. Going to meet some of our sons friends there.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Cathedral
Can one imagine the knowledge and man power / man hours it took to build something like that "when" it was built.. and then try to think of all of the (now) laws they broke to build something that magnificent. Nothing like that will ever be built in this day and time.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Can one imagine the knowledge and man power / man hours it took to build something like that "when" it was built.. and then try to think of all of the (now) laws they broke to build something that magnificent. Nothing like that will ever be built in this day and time.
Sons that weren't born when their fathers started jobs like that took over for them when they couldn't do it any more, and generations after carried on. Back then they didn't think in years to build.. they thought in centuries.

slow motion

Talking to @Roebuck in a different thread reminded me I didn't finish this one up. Just kinda abandoned it. Procrastination is one of my personality traits. No doubt yall saw enough of this thread back during the summer but I gotta get this done. Perhaps I'll become better at finishing things in a more reasonable time-frame....

Probably not.

Gotta get some pics from the wife for the last couple days. My phone was unhappy most of the time. Maybe finish this weekend.

By the way @Roebuck didn't mean to blow off your cordial invitation to hunt a vampire deer. I do appreciate the offer. Didn't get over your way. Probably on England's Most Wanted List already for my horrific driving skills. If I was caught with a weapon I would probably have been deported or be the newest inhabitant of the Tower of London. If I get back I'll make it a point to visit and buy you a pint my friend. No doubt you have some great stories to tell.

flatwoods

Cool thread. I hate I missed it earlier.
Love the cathedral pics. I'm a huge fan of the architecture in European cathedrals.
I actually have one of if not the best collection in existence of a cathedral related theme.
Remind me one day and I will expand on that.

slow motion

Cool thread. I hate I missed it earlier.
Love the cathedral pics. I'm a huge fan of the architecture in European cathedrals.
I actually have one of if not the best collection in existence of a cathedral related theme.
Remind me one day and I will expand on that.
Will do. My interest is piqued

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Awesome pics and story thanks for sharing. We went on a Redneck Vacation to Germany, France, and surrounding countries in 2006.

Roebuck

“Fishal Spokesman” Useles Billy Club !
Talking to @Roebuck in a different thread reminded me I didn't finish this one up. Just kinda abandoned it. Procrastination is one of my personality traits. No doubt yall saw enough of this thread back during the summer but I gotta get this done. Perhaps I'll become better at finishing things in a more reasonable time-frame....

Probably not.

Gotta get some pics from the wife for the last couple days. My phone was unhappy most of the time. Maybe finish this weekend.

By the way @Roebuck didn't mean to blow off your cordial invitation to hunt a vampire deer. I do appreciate the offer. Didn't get over your way. Probably on England's Most Wanted List already for my horrific driving skills. If I was caught with a weapon I would probably have been deported or be the newest inhabitant of the Tower of London. If I get back I'll make it a point to visit and buy you a pint my friend. No doubt you have some great stories to tell.

No worries brother. Maybe next time you are over.