Remington model 700 fans

Jester896

Senior Clown
I even have an older .270 ADL a fella up north bought, sighted in for deer hunting, and stuck it under his bed on the carpet. Never did go hunting with it. 5 or 6 years later it was pretty rusted up when he pulled it out. Passed it to another fella and he sold it to me for $300. I just wanted the action and Walker Trigger. I scoped the barrel and it had 1 small spot in the bore. Lapped it good and there were only 2 little black marks left. I loaded up some slow round Accubonds and the thing shot lights out. I couldn't part it out just yet. I bead blasted it and coated it with Aluma-Hyde. Mounted it in a laminated Boyd's Thumb Hole, changed the trigger spring and adjusted the trigger. It ain't purdy but managed to shoot 2 deer the 3 times I went hunting last year.

4831-1.jpg

and that was with the synthetic stock on it and IMR4831

Last edited:

Darkhorse

I even have an older .270 ADL a fella up north bought, sighted in for deer hunting, and stuck it under his bed on the carpet. Never did go hunting with it. 5 or 6 years later it was pretty rusted up when he pulled it out. Passed it to another fella and he sold it to me for $300. I just wanted the action and Walker Trigger. I scoped the barrel and it had 1 small spot in the bore. Lapped it good and there were only 2 little black marks left. I loaded up some slow round Accubonds and the thing shot lights out. I couldn't part it out just yet. I bead blasted it and coated it with Aluma-Hyde. Mounted it in a laminated Boyd's Thumb Hole, changed the trigger spring and adjusted the trigger. It ain't purdy but managed to shoot 2 deer the 3 times I went hunting last year.

View attachment 942146

and that was with the synthetic stock on it and IMR4831

I had my Walker trigger at 3 lbs. with zero creep. It stayed that way for about 3 years then one day it dropped the trigger while I was running a few resized cases through the action. After a good cleaning I decided the main problem was the springs had gotten too weak to function properly.
I think I'll replace the trigger one day if I decide to start shooting it again. Fortunately I've got a few more to take it's place.

ripplerider

I had my Walker trigger at 3 lbs. with zero creep. It stayed that way for about 3 years then one day it dropped the trigger while I was running a few resized cases through the action. After a good cleaning I decided the main problem was the springs had gotten too weak to function properly.
I think I'll replace the trigger one day if I decide to start shooting it again. Fortunately I've got a few more to take it's place.

I have had an early '80s Model 700 for more than 30 years. My brother and my Dad bought identical ADLs from Alexanders store and I traded my brother a Model 788 in .308 with an 18" barrel that I bought new at Franklins and gave him $50 to boot. That 788 shot very well but the muzzle blast was ferocious. I wouldnt sell or trade my 700 for any amount I have too many memories of past hunts with it. I too had a gunsmith adjust the trigger down to 3 lbs. pull. Mine hasnt given any trouble at all it breaks cleanly and crisply. I'm assuming it's a Walker trigger too. My only problem with the rifle is it's weight I've had several shoulder surgeries and it gets pretty heavy while toting it up the mountains. I'm a ground hunter who slip-hunts a good bit my rifle never leaves my hand except before daylight and while dragging one out. I tried hunting with my Marlin .35 last year and didnt like it much so I'm going back to the trusty 700 this year it feels like part of my body after carrying it so long. I handled a Savage Axis compact rifle a couple of weeks ago. It was very light and handles well but the stocks too short for me and I hear the trigger's not very good. I saw a kit on Amazon thats supposed to reduce the trigger pull on the Axis does anyone have any experience with improving the Axis trigger?

Robert28

I have had an early '80s Model 700 for more than 30 years. My brother and my Dad bought identical ADLs from Alexanders store and I traded my brother a Model 788 in .308 with an 18" barrel that I bought new at Franklins and gave him $50 to boot. That 788 shot very well but the muzzle blast was ferocious. I wouldnt sell or trade my 700 for any amount I have too many memories of past hunts with it. I too had a gunsmith adjust the trigger down to 3 lbs. pull. Mine hasnt given any trouble at all it breaks cleanly and crisply. I'm assuming it's a Walker trigger too. My only problem with the rifle is it's weight I've had several shoulder surgeries and it gets pretty heavy while toting it up the mountains. I'm a ground hunter who slip-hunts a good bit my rifle never leaves my hand except before daylight and while dragging one out. I tried hunting with my Marlin .35 last year and didnt like it much so I'm going back to the trusty 700 this year it feels like part of my body after carrying it so long. I handled a Savage Axis compact rifle a couple of weeks ago. It was very light and handles well but the stocks too short for me and I hear the trigger's not very good. I saw a kit on Amazon thats supposed to reduce the trigger pull on the Axis does anyone have any experience with improving the Axis trigger?
Honestly, the best way to improve the trigger on an Axis is to just buy an Axis II with the accutrigger.

Mexican Squealer

Don’t know anything about the new ones but sure love my old one. Going to kill a buck with it Saturday am if he keeps doing what he doing.

Reactions: Dub

pdsniper

All the Remington's I have are older ones, I lost faith in them years ago with all the trigger recalls, Last year I was tasked as a board member of the American Sniper association to find a rifle to replace the Remington 700 as the recommended rifle for
LE snipers because Remington had become to much of a liability for Law Enforcement to use because of the recalls and lack of quality so we have decided on the Tikka T3 and T3X to be the recommended rifle for an off the shelf rifle

Darkhorse

I don't have a problem with that. I've got a Tikka T3 Lite stainless synthetic in .308 topped with a Zeiss scope. When I carry a centerfire, though I rarely do as I prefer flintlocks, this is the one I carry.
But, the Tikka is still not the rifle my old M700 is.

Robert28

The only thing that's kept me from buying a Tikka or similar rifle, is the weight. They're too light. I like my rifles to be in the 7-8lb range with nothing on them. With that said, I don't care for super heavy rifles like Howa either which can get up to 9-10lbs when you add a scope and ammo.

Buckstop

I love my 700's. Have a couple older ones with the walker triggers. Newer ones, I replaced the X-mark triggers with either shilen or timney triggers. A very easy upgrade.

As for tinkering, the 700 platform has probably the most aftermarket components and accessories of any action type.

Darkhorse

True the Tikka is light but the main problem is how slick the stock is. Combined with the light weight it's just hard to keep it from moving around some when shooting. What I'm thinking about doing is painting my stock with a textured paint to give it a little more grip.

krizia829

I sold firearms at Bass Pro for 7 years and noticed a huge difference in the quality of ALL their guns! I have a 700 SPS 30-06 my grandfather gave me back in 2006. It shoots tight tight groups at 100 yards like reloads with Hornady Superformance SST 150gr. Their modern guns are nothing like the old ones.. Even their 870 shotguns feel cheap now unfortunately.. Their wood is some cheap laminate and I had to send quite a few back to them for repair. As a matter of fact, Remington/Marlin had so many firearms being sent to repair, that when I had to send them, they assigned the guns to be sent to local certified gunsmiths, not the Remington factory.. You may just need to find the right load, possibly do a trigger job and make sure you have a good quality scope if you're having trouble with consistency.. Just my $.02 :) Good luck!

Dub

I can't really attest to much to the current stuff.

I've had great results with their older 700's & Model 7.

I have an older stainless & synthetic M700 that has been really good. So good, in fact that I've been averse to tinker with it other than add a Timney trigger to it several years ago. I don't know why it shoots so good....whippy 24" barrel and cheapo plastic stock. It's in my favorite caliber, .270 WIN.

I keep toying with the idea of having it rebarreled in .280 Ackley and have a stiffer barrel mated to the trued up action and restocking in something closer to the type in the older Sendero models or a black & gray laminate. I've got a good guy to do it....just a matter of dedicating the funds to the project.

I have a recent manufactured M700 CDL in .30'06 that I need to scope and sight in.

I'm interested in seeing how it does.

Robert28

I can't really attest to much to the current stuff.

I've had great results with their older 700's & Model 7.

I have an older stainless & synthetic M700 that has been really good. So good, in fact that I've been averse to tinker with it other than add a Timney trigger to it several years ago. I don't know why it shoots so good....whippy 24" barrel and cheapo plastic stock. It's in my favorite caliber, .270 WIN.

I keep toying with the idea of having it rebarreled in .280 Ackley and have a stiffer barrel mated to the trued up action and restocking in something closer to the type in the older Sendero models or a black & gray laminate. I've got a good guy to do it....just a matter of dedicating the funds to the project.

I have a recent manufactured M700 CDL in .30'06 that I need to scope and sight in.

I'm interested in seeing how it does.
I’d like to hear how that newer CDL shoots when you get to shoot it. I was looking at it and the Model 70 sporter in 30-06 recently. Winchester has a rebate going on right now and the Model 70 was only a few bucks higher so I went with that.

Dub

I’d like to hear how that newer CDL shoots when you get to shoot it. I was looking at it and the Model 70 sporter in 30-06 recently. Winchester has a rebate going on right now and the Model 70 was only a few bucks higher so I went with that.

If given the same circumstances......I'd have done the same as you and gone with a Winchester M70.

Bought my M700 CDL on a killer sale that was offered 12+ months ago....on .270 & .30'06 models with 24" barrels. What I really wanted was a Winchester M70 Featherweight....but the deal was too good to pass up.

I'll let you know how it shoots once I get it mounted up and ready to roll.

01Foreman400

Staff member
I have yet to handle a “newer” Remington 700. The 2 I own are from 1993 and 2001. As mentioned before the best part about a 700 is the ability to customize them to your liking. I just finished this one. I’ve got less than $500 in it with the scope and all and I put a Timney on it as well. It was a little light so i just added weight in the hollow stock and filled with plastic grocery bags. It balances great and it weighs what I want it to.

Attachments

• CD021BCB-82E0-4543-998E-927F3E441992.jpeg
    CD021BCB-82E0-4543-998E-927F3E441992.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 42C1D903-CC4D-4559-920E-3E684583EA5A.jpeg
    42C1D903-CC4D-4559-920E-3E684583EA5A.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 9A9C8BE8-D914-4E2E-8C60-81AE3D56FCDD.jpeg
    9A9C8BE8-D914-4E2E-8C60-81AE3D56FCDD.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 17

drumbum77

Banned
My SPS AAC .308 does pretty good with the so called junk factory stock that came with it. It will hold 2" to 2.5" 5 shot groups at 600 yards all day long. It's pretty funny when I visit the CMP and out shoot guys that have scopes that cost twice as much as much as my entire set up. :rofl: IMO, I think some folks just can't shoot. Remington still makes great guns. People are why too busy/worried about MOA calculations and crap. When it boils down to it, it's all about basic shooting fundamentals.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180909-000151_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180909-000151_Gallery.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20180805-092837_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180805-092837_Gallery.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 7

furtaker

I have a couple of 700 ADLs bought new within the last 10 years that shoot like a house afire. Remington's quality control is probably not what it used to be but the 700 is still my favorite rifle. For what it's worth, I bought a new Savage 11 Trophy Hunter in 7mm-08 a few years back that was the most inaccurate piece of junk I have bought in recent years. I'll still take a new 700 over one of these newfangled cheap plastic rifles any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Last edited:

earlthegoat2

I think Remington puts inferior barrels on the newer guns. I did a barrel swap on an SPS Tactical .308 to a Shaw barrel with no other work done. No action blueprinting or trigger work. Just barrel swap and re-headspace. I shot a 1 1/4'" 5 shot group at a 100 with it and the owner shot a 3/4" five shot group with it. He said he had never been able to get under 2" before with Federal GMM 168gr and that is what we were shooting.

I know its only one isolated example and it is not really fair to compare a factory barrel to an ER Shaw and the owner of the gun may not have done sufficient ammo testing to get a better group with the factory barrel but Fed GMM usually shoots pretty well.

chase870

Possum Sox
I'm not a big rifle guy but I shoot 870's in every gauge they make them in. Pre 1976 870's with the silver shell lifter or silver spoon are far better guns than todays 870's. This is for the wing masters and not the 870 express models