Remington Nylon 66

dslc6487

Any of my fellow hunters out there ever use a Remington Nylon 66 for squirrel hunting? I bought one way back in the early 70's from J. C. Penny for $59.95. I have shot it some, but not much. I am an avid squirrel hunter and have used shotguns mostly along with my feist dogs. I am now 72 years old and the shotguns and all of the shells that I carry are becoming heavy and I am thinking about switching to my Nylon 66 for hunting. Just trying to lighten my load somewhat as I am not as steady on my feet as I used to be and the weight of my shotgun, shells, snake boots, and other hunting equip that I carry tend to make me prone to tripping.
So, what say you? Anyone using a Nylon? Also, what would be a good scope to use for the Nylon. I am not a deer hunter, so I have never used a scope on a rifle before. What advice would you give to me? Any and all advice appreciated...

Hillbilly stalker

A Remington Nylon 66 is a very good rifle. I had a couple over the years and they were real shooters. They made 4 or 5 different colors and some are real valuable. A decent cheaper scope would be a Simmons .44 mag scope. They are around $50 and do real good on squirrel hunts. I made a mistake of taking a Nylon 66 apart one time, it was like taking the back off a watch, springs went everywhere. I had to pay a gunsmith to put it back together. That rifle is probably worth $200-$300 or more now.

madie

Any of my fellow hunters out there ever use a Remington Nylon 66 for squirrel hunting? I bought one way back in the early 70's from J. C. Penny for $59.95. I have shot it some, but not much. I am an avid squirrel hunter and have used shotguns mostly along with my feist dogs. I am now 72 years old and the shotguns and all of the shells that I carry are becoming heavy and I am thinking about switching to my Nylon 66 for hunting. Just trying to lighten my load somewhat as I am not as steady on my feet as I used to be and the weight of my shotgun, shells, snake boots, and other hunting equip that I carry tend to make me prone to tripping.
So, what say you? Anyone using a Nylon? Also, what would be a good scope to use for the Nylon. I am not a deer hunter, so I have never used a scope on a rifle before. What advice would you give to me? Any and all advice appreciated...

The Nylon is a great rifle, But when scoped your attaching your rings to a just cover on the 66, and there can be a lot of flex in the receiver..As Hillbilly said about taking them apart, I have had several brought to the my shop over the years to be put back together..

delacroix

BANNED
You could probably find someone willing to trade you a Ruger American with a scope already on it for the Remington.

The mtn man

I never had an luck with accuracy with those.

Jeremiah Glaze

I've got one I squirrel hunt with some. I put a little Simmons 22 mag (Walmart) scope on it and it's actually real clear and holds zero. For $30 I'd buy another one. I like the 66 because it's light but only use it when the leaves come off, otherwise I prefer my 20 gauge.

7Mag Hunter

Had 2 nylon 66s...One Black and one Brown one...Sold the Black one
but still have the Brown one....Fun to shoot and IMO fairly accurate....

Doug B.

My dad has one that I can remember him having all my life! I am now 54 years old. He has squirrel hunted with it as long as I can remember. He is now 77 years old. I never really liked the sights on it and he never could get a scope to stay in the grooves on the receiver. After just a few shots it would bounce off. He has always loved it and has killed a ton of squirrels with it. I have a Ruger 10-22 with the camoflage plastic stock that is truely deadly on squirrel noggins.