Replacement windows

oldfella1962

Who has done this on their home and who did you use and were you satisfied?
My late mother-in-law had new "super soundproof" windows put in a few years back and raved about them.

Redbow

My Mom and Stepdad had their windows replaced a few years back also. They bought the windows at Lowe's and had them installed by a Lowe's contractor. The installers did a great job and the new windows were a big improvement over the ones that were taken out.

Many people use Andersen windows or used to I don't have any idea what windows are best for replacement now days.

Deerhead

Who has done this on their home and who did you use and were you satisfied?

Following!

The wife has tasked me this weekend with having new windows.. . So many choices and hate high pressure. Just want a good double pane window Oh and not a white frame...

Core Lokt

Double pain gas filled low E rating. I know a few people that have used Anderson for replacement. Ours came from Lowes when we built 5 yrs ago.

westcobbdog

Who has done this on their home and who did you use and were you sati
Besides companies that advertise a lot like Window World and North Ga Replacement Windows, I went a diff direction and used Fast Glass and More in Kennesaw to just change out my glass only, not my frames. Either way go low E green tint. Good luck.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
About 25 years ago, my dad spent a bunch putting those double-paned insulated open every-which-a-way windows in the old home place that I'm now living in, and I'm sure glad he did. It made all the difference in the world. I don't remember what brand they are.

B. White

I don't remember the brand, but years ago I went to Lowe's and gave them the measurements to order a couple of replacements I needed. Timed it when the weather was decent and took the old ones out and put the new ones in. Wasn't much to it from what I remember. They had to be fairly light weight, cause one was 6 X 6 or better and I don't remember struggling with it.

ngamtns

In the process of researching, getting prices on windows and installation cost. Looking at the Andersen 100 series. Fibrex material ?

Headshot

Had North Georgia Replacement Windows change our windows about 10 years ago. We are very happy with the work they did and the comfort and energy savings we have.

Oldstick

In the process of researching, getting prices on windows and installation cost. Looking at the Andersen 100 series. Fibrex material ?
We have also been bombarded by advertisements from Anderson related companies lately. The vinyl framed windows in our house are about 23 years old and not in terrible shape but at least 2 or 3 of them could stand replacement.

But the biggest question I have is about the construction of the lock and latch materials of the Anderson replacements. Some of the plastic tilt out latches of our windows that supposedly allow easy cleaning are broken. Plus some of the plastic coated latches that lock the windows. Requiring me to install screws and brackets in the window sills just to prevent someone from climbing inside easily.

Would like to hear any feedback about the overall quality of the Anderson replacements that are currently being advertised.

ryanh487

I used a company called patriots pride. Everyone has pretty much the same product to offer these days. The. PP rep took the time to help me plan a solution that fit my goals for appearances and minimized cost. They did a wonderful, fast job and I've been very happy with the results. They were about the middle of the road price between 3 bids.

leroy

I used a company called patriots pride. Everyone has pretty much the same product to offer these days. The. PP rep took the time to help me plan a solution that fit my goals for appearances and minimized cost. They did a wonderful, fast job and I've been very happy with the results. They were about the middle of the road price between 3 bids.
Iv got 18 windows, what am i looking at $

ryanh487

Iv got 18 windows, what am i looking at $
I replaced 12 double hung and a picture window with privacy glass for $8875 in May 2022. The double hung were $725 a piece, and I got 6 new DH I replaced 8 of them with 4 vertical sliding windows at $1000 a piece.

buckmanmike

Dang, will take a long while for energy savings to pay the cost. We have single pane windows with storm windows added. Any suggestions on expected energy savings by going to double pane?

ryanh487

Dang, will take a long while for energy savings to pay the cost. We have single pane windows with storm windows added. Any suggestions on expected energy savings by going to double pane?

I haven't seen a ton of energy savings, maybe $50 a month in the summer, but the new windows are 1) no foggy and don't have mildew between the panes like my old ones, 2) quiet outside noise 3) definitely make the house temps more consistent. Additionally, you can write off new windows with certain energy star efficiency ratings on your taxes that year. Mine qualified and I got an extra $8875 tax deduction.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
If you have wood double hung you can replace the window pains and followers very easy with low E insulated sashes. It’s just a couple small pieces of trim that hold them in. That is if your frames are in good shape. If they’re rotted you’d want to replace the whole window

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I’m in new construction and it is easy and cost effective to replace windows for me. I hate to see folks paying $1000 or more to replace a single window from these companies that advertise on tv. The window itself is probably $200. If I had to replace a whole house and use a contractor I’d look for an independent small contractor with good reviews. There’s a lot less overhead in their prices.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
If you have wood double hung you can replace the window pains and followers very easy with low E insulated sashes. It’s just a couple small pieces of trim that hold them in. That is if your frames are in good shape. If they’re rotted you’d want to replace the whole window
And no ladders, done from the inside. Didn't know if this was still available, so sent OP a PM earlier.

Latest posts