Reverse Psychology

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've lately been pouring over maps of WMA's thinking about which quota hunts I want to try for and what other hunts may interest me. Doing so brings my thoughts to biggest piece of advice I hear about hunting public land-to go deep.

My quandary is thus. Except for on the larger mountain wma's, there is rarely a stretch of even a mile in a straight line where there isn't another road or access point. In most cases much closer than that.

So if the advice is to go deep is followed, are the middle of the blocks full of people? What if somebody was to hunt places right beside the road or areas that are overlooked because they aren't "deep" enough? Has anybody tried that?

Another reason for this train of thought: Years ago when we were hunting in Taliaferro County all the young bucks would get up early and take off hither and yon to the ****hest and deepest parts of the lease. My father would wake up late and walk about 50 yards from camp where he could watch a crossing while drinking his coffee. He killed several very nice bucks doing that and messed up on one he said was the biggest he had ever seen. That has always stuck in my head.
Yes, I have killed several bucks by doing just that. Most people head way back in there.

jbandito

I hunt Chickasahatchee and Mayhaw....Ive killed deer right off the roads. Easier for me when I am by myself, but i will tell you a good bit of advice...Go small game hunting or turkey hunting on your WMA ...I have learned way more about where the deer are by all the scouting you can do in these seasons

spencer12

One of the biggest deer I've ever seen killed was killed by a kid on a quota hunt I got drawn for. He was hunting about 150 yds behind the ranger/check in station. We all checked in around 11:30-12. Probably 50 people in the parking area with 20-30 trucks. He killed it at 12:30, 150 yds from the parking lot.

hambone76

I hunt buck sign, travel corridors and feeding sign on the first day. After that it’s the escape routes and thick cover where the deer go to hide from the crowds.

ShawnC1994

While signing in for deer last weekend on a wma I literally was watching a doe and fawn eat while writing...