Rezoning Proposal of Pine Log WMA

finnhunter

Posting this with the intent to inform any interested parties about what is planned for Pine Log WMA in Bartow County. Please let's keep this thread informative and let's not start an argument about the planned development.

What is happening: The property owner, who currently leases the land to the state, has decided to rezone the property (16,500 acres), my understanding for commercial use, mining and housing development. Here is useful information in case you are interested in voicing your opinion.

There are two (2) meetings scheduled to give the public an opportunity to study the proposed development plans. The 1st one is on Tuesday February 7th and the 2nd on Thursday February 9th (same info at both meetings). Both meetings are between 4-6 pm at Bartow County Courthouse, Commissoner's Hearing Room, 135 West Cherokee Avenue, Cartersville, GA.

The rezoning case public hearing will be heard by Planning Commission on March 27 at 6:00 PM in the courthouse, 135 W. Cherokee Ave, Cartersville. This is the meeting where you are allowed to speak in front of the county officials.

Commissioner Taylor's hearing will be April 12 at 10:00 AM in the courthouse, 135 W. Cherokee Ave, Cartersville

For more information go to Bartow County Planning & Zoning website: https://www.bartowcountyga.gov/departments/community_development/planning_and_zoning.php

Scroll down to:
NOTICE - The Aubrey Corporation zoning cases (east, northeast Bartow)

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
That may be true, however if enough local residents, i.e. voters, voice their opposition, the rezoning might not go through.
The .gov has other plans. I live in the area. The WMA will be an industrial park, Hwy 20 is being widened to 6 lanes to become the outer loop connecting 75 to 85 without going onto 285. With the rerouted truck traffic and better roads the industrial park is better served. The plan is in place and I’m out of here before it all gets done.

westcobbdog

^^^^ This..
All the comments in the world aren't stopping this train. This is a done deal.
Just like a giant Racetrac gas station on a septic tank, if they don't make the developer install sanitary sewer ( the actual waste treatment plant ) they Govt will approve the whole thing to be on septic.

sprewett

The .gov has other plans. I live in the area. The WMA will be an industrial park, Hwy 20 is being widened to 6 lanes to become the outer loop connecting 75 to 85 without going onto 285. With the rerouted truck traffic and better roads the industrial park is better served. The plan is in place and I’m out of here before it all gets done.
@Ruger#3 if this is in fact the plan, I will also be gone. We moved to Bartow a few years ago because of growth in Paulding. If this goes through I couldn't stand to live here. I would hate to not live near family but big city life isn't for me! Guess on the flip side I will make a fortune on my house.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
@Ruger#3 if this is in fact the plan, I will also be gone. We moved to Bartow a few years ago because of growth in Paulding. If this goes through I couldn't stand to live here. I would hate to not live near family but big city life isn't for me! Guess on the flip side I will make a fortune on my house.
The road widening and schedule are on the DOT website. All that construction in Canton by shopping center is part of it.

There’s new home construction of a 5K ft plus house on Hwy 20 just down from me. His new mansion won’t be worth spit in a few years. The owner will have 6 lanes of traffic within a few hundred feet of his house.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

sprewett

The road widening and schedule are on the DOT website. All that construction in Canton by shopping center is part of it.

There’s new home construction of a 5K ft plus house on Hwy 20 just down from me. His new mansion won’t be worth spit in a few years. The owner will have 6 lanes of traffic within a few hundred feet of his house.
@Ruger#3 yeah I have seen that it is so big I thought it was going to be a nursing home. Already close to the road could open a drive through window when it's done! I live basically in city limits of Cartersville. I will definitely check it out. Maybe should have sold a year ago when folks were beating my doors down.

sprewett

Your are correct sir! I checked out the Gdot link you sent. The Canton to Cartersville is still in concept phase awaiting approval. But I can't see that they would deny it when the other half has already begun. Plus I read where they were saying industrial land on both sides of the interstate. I suppose they mean all the woods. Good grief this really bums me out.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I drive past survey crews every day on 20. I watch which side of the road the stakes are on to see whose going to lose a yard or building. The land west of Knox Bridge is already being subdivided. It’s being cleared now.

sprewett

No offense meant but
When you move somewhere to get away because of growth where you lived, you’re subjecting the new people to what you moved away from
No offense taken. I plan on trying to move somewhere there is not huge economic growth so they crowds don't grow. I get what you are saying that is exactly why metro counties are busting at the seems. I love people but I cannot handle crowds at all.

sprewett

@Throwback I was born and raised in Paulding county there was only 1 traffic light when I was real small. I remember when all the business began coming lots of families made fortunes off their land. We never sold ours still have it but the growth exploded.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
No offense meant but
When you move somewhere to get away because of growth where you lived, you’re subjecting the new people to what you moved away from
There are very few of the heritage family farms remaining. Hence, your new neighbor did the same thing at some point.

sprewett

There are very few of the heritage family farms remaining. Hence, your new neighbor did the same thing at some point.
Yep, my house was built in 66 and you are correct my neighbor is 87 told me it use to all be farm land.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I understand and I agree. But when it hits a tipping point it accelerates

I used to date a girl whose family moved to coweta jn the 80’s to escape Atlanta along with a lot of other people. The people that came behind them for the same reason they deemed “intruders”
It was kind of comical.

westcobbdog

No offense taken. I plan on trying to move somewhere there is not huge economic growth so they crowds don't grow. I get what you are saying that is exactly why metro counties are busting at the seems. I love people but I cannot handle crowds at all.
Taylorsvulle or Kingston are still mostly undeveloped. Ball Ground another option.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I understand and I agree. But when it hits a tipping point it accelerates

I used to date a girl whose family moved to coweta jn the 80’s to escape Atlanta along with a lot of other people. The people that came behind them for the same reason they deemed “intruders”
It was kind of comical.
With military followed by an airline career I been an intruder most of my life. Making an effort to blend in makes all the difference. I’ve had hunting and fishing buddies every where I’ve lived.

I had hoped this house was my last stop but that has changed with .gov plans.