Road Fill Dirt.

swamp hunter

Got about 1000 ft. of Bad road with Lime rock laying there now ,Washes out regular in that part of a one mile long road. Always been a bad spot.
Get's big holes, over your truck headlights low..
We live at the edge of the Glades and get 4 to 5 ft. of rainfall every 6 months..not to mention Hurricanes ect.
The Lime rock will wash out . First a puddle then a hole then 4 wheel drive.
I'm thinkin bout trying Crushed rock as a top dressing.
1 Minus / Washed Gravel..whatever you want to call it.
I know it costs more than Lime rock but I'm hoping it'll stay.
Had a Community meeting Sunday and I'm kinda the Mayor so I raised 2 Thousand for fill.
What would ya'll recommend for fill ?
Got any idea of the cost per 18 yards ?

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I coulda swore I read this exact post on another forum...

18 tons of 57's or 4's is running around $400 delivered in these parts.

I thought crushed granite was even higher in Florida.

You need to get that road built up, put swales(or canals) on both sides and then put asphalt on it. Anything else will be a stop gap money pit.

May be cheaper to just buy an airboat.

swamp hunter

Soft spot or a grade issue?
I'm thinkin soft spot cause it's the same area time after time.
We have ditches on both sides of it but 5 ft' of rain in 5 months and the ditches for miles are over their banks.
Water perks under the road here and there, every dirt road in the county as well.
Base is basically Beach sand with lime rock topping.
The first 1/4 mile is old asphalt/ limerock, but man it sure gets 2 mph potholes in it...bad.

Georgiadawgs78

I would add a layer of geotextile under it. Stuff comes 12' wide and 330' long. Runs roughly a $1 a linear foot. Then I would spread a 2-3" layer of 3-4's and then come back with light layer of crusher run/gab/etc to lock it all in. A regular tandem load (18-20 tons)usually covers about 150' of road.

Of course you looking at prob 10-12 loads of rock doing the two layers which is about $4-5k then throw in the $1000 of geo mat and we just tripled your budget but as long as your grade is right you should have a permanent road that would last.

doesplitter

I would build up the holes with baby surge. Then top dress with 57's.

doesplitter

Also look into soil cement if you have grading equipment.

tree cutter 08

I would add a layer of geotextile under it. Stuff comes 12' wide and 330' long. Runs roughly a $1 a linear foot. Then I would spread a 2-3" layer of 3-4's and then come back with light layer of crusher run/gab/etc to lock it all in. A regular tandem load (18-20 tons)usually covers about 150' of road.

Of course you looking at prob 10-12 loads of rock doing the two layers which is about $4-5k then throw in the $1000 of geo mat and we just tripled your budget but as long as your grade is right you should have a permanent road that would last.
That's what I did one our road in a few soft places. Another thing that works around here is add rip rap or bigger rocks in the soft places then build up from there. Usually that will make a good bottom. But, Florida my be a whole different ball game since you have sand and we have clay.

swamp hunter

I can get free truck loads of broken roofing tile.
Maybe I'll fill the holes with that , then top dress with gravel.
What say you ?

livetohunt

I would work on the drainage issue by creating ditches or runoffs. If not, no matter what you put on the road, the same problem will happen over and over.

Hoss78

This is good advice. There's a lot of roads around the islands in Georgia built on that material.

swamp hunter

I know GeoTextiles..
Use to install mats in the Big Cypress for Swamp Buggys for the NPS.
I'm lucky to get 2 Grand...4 ain't gonna happen right now so I have to stick to basics. Broken roof tile is FREE and I'm gonna dump a few loads . then top dress with gravel and try that first.

tree cutter 08

Like said above to, keeping water off road is critical. If you can't ditch it away, build up the road. Standing water is no good!

GA native

Seems to me, that no matter what, that road is going to wash out. Unless you can get the state DOT involved. Maybe get your Congress Critter in on it. I've heard about these multi-million dollar bridges to nowhere.

Otherwise...

I'd base it with those roof tiles, and top dress it with crush run. Up here in N GA, crush run is cheap, $30 per yard. No clue what it would run in Naples...

Then just get it on a regular maintenance schedule. Once a year, and after a big storm, get a contractor to grade and add more gravel as needed.

swamp hunter

Private land road....we own it.
About 35 houses In a 640 acre parcel.
6 miles of road way total but the Main road is slap wore out in 3 big spots.
Had 3 meetings with the County, they don't want it cause we tried to give it to them..3 times.
Only when it meets County road Spec,s will they take ownership.
New culverts , Asphalt , in other words perfect..

calibob1

COMMIE LOVER TROLL
Do you have access to equipment, grader, dump truck?