Roku Players (Update: Got a Google TV Box instead)

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Are these streamers worth a cuss? Do they last, and are the remotes responsive? Looking to get a new streaming device soon for my father.

Also, anyone here use Sling TV? If so, would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

menhadenman

We’ve used Roku for a while. Have a Samsung now with all that built into it. Wouldn’t recommend that though they’re loaded with garbage.

We cut cable in 2009 and haven’t looked back. Streaming is worth a shot if you don’t watch much TV. Sports can be tough. A lot of folks pay extra for YouTube tv, paramount plus, Hulu, and sling. They all work fine depending on what content you’re after.

Minner

I have had a wireless Roku and a wired one. Much prefer the wired one as the wireless would buffer a lot on live sports. I really like the Roku.

I had SlingTV and dropped it after a year or so and went with YouTubeTV. I get most college football games without any extra package. I did purchase an outdoor channel for some hunting shows for a few bucks a month. YouTubeTV is great.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Are these streamers worth a cuss? Do they last, and are the remotes responsive? Looking to get a new streaming device soon for my father.

Also, anyone here use Sling TV? If so, would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance.
I’ve used on TVs in my apartments when I commuted out of town for decades. I’ve got one hooked up on the guest room TV now.

Havana Dude

There is nothing ever that is on tv, that I cant stand to miss, EVER! The wife always has ours on, usually something stupid, so I find something better to do.

Silver Britches

I used YouTube Tv before. A friend gifted me one of his 6 accounts to use it. But I already had all the channels with my cable package. YouTube TV is nice. Just looking for something a little cheaper. I still may go with YouTube Tv.

Tblank

We don’t have fiber where we live so we bought starlink for Christmas and dropped our direct tv and switched to YouTube tv and are pleased with it so far.

Silver Britches

We don’t have fiber where we live so we bought starlink for Christmas and dropped our direct tv and switched to YouTube tv and are pleased with it so far.
We just got fiber in my town and most likely going to get it. Ready to drop greedy comcast.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
We just got fiber in my town and most likely going to get it. Ready to drop greedy comcast.
Comcast is the only thing available where I live. I cut them down to internet only. Stream Paramount, Netflix, Hulu and Disney saving 100 a month and dont miss cable a bit.

Artfuldodger

I have had a wireless Roku and a wired one. Much prefer the wired one as the wireless would buffer a lot on live sports. I really like the Roku.

I had SlingTV and dropped it after a year or so and went with YouTubeTV. I get most college football games without any extra package. I did purchase an outdoor channel for some hunting shows for a few bucks a month. YouTubeTV is great.
Pleases explain wireless Roku vs wired? The only thing I struggle with is typing in all the info. into the remote for a search. The process seems a bit archaic.
We had a Fire Stick once and you could give it voice command. That was easier for me.
(edit) I think I found my answer;
"Connecting your Roku to the internet via Ethernet will provide a more reliable connection and better streaming experience.

So you would just connect the Roku player directly to your router/modem with an Ethernet cable like you would a home computer.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Our local cabe which is WOW! is dropping TV and will only offer intenet. We can get a $15/month discount for a year if we go with YouTube TV. I guess we'll try that one first.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
We don’t have fiber either. Just old behind copper.

We are looking at star link to. Wife is anyway.
I've heard great things about that. Have several family members that have it and love it.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Pleases explain wireless Roku vs wired? The only thing I struggle with is typing in all the info. into the remote for a search. The process seems a bit archaic.
We had a Fire Stick once and you could give it voice command. That was easier for me.
(edit) I think I found my answer;
"Connecting your Roku to the internet via Ethernet will provide a more reliable connection and better streaming experience.

So you would just connect the Roku player directly to your router/modem with an Ethernet cable like you would a home computer.
The latest ROKUs have voice capability. The ROKU in our guest room is wireless, gets internet from the router. There are ports to hook the ROKU to a Ethernet connection for those who get wired service.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Comcast is the only thing available where I live. I cut them down to internet only. Stream Paramount, Netflix, Hulu and Disney saving 100 a month and dont miss cable a bit.
Our internet is through AT&T. We ditched Comcast and went to streaming. Hulu is half the price of Comcast with more content. Hulu has buffering problems that make it almost not worth the price.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Our internet is through AT&T. We ditched Comcast and went to streaming. Hulu is half the price of Comcast with more content. Hulu has buffering problems that make it almost not worth the price.
Comcast only provides my internet. AT&T is still twisted wires out here. I need speed for work. Additionally, work pays for me to have the fastest internet available. We saved a bunch just ditching the cable TV service.

j_seph

ROKU and Sling for 5 or so years and no issue other than some extras if you want that you have to pay for. Like we have the orange and blue plan combined