Roku Players (Update: Got a Google TV Box instead)

Minner

Pleases explain wireless Roku vs wired? The only thing I struggle with is typing in all the info. into the remote for a search. The process seems a bit archaic.
We had a Fire Stick once and you could give it voice command. That was easier for me.
(edit) I think I found my answer;
"Connecting your Roku to the internet via Ethernet will provide a more reliable connection and better streaming experience.

So you would just connect the Roku player directly to your router/modem with an Ethernet cable like you would a home computer.

Yes, it's just the difference between using Wifi (no wire/ethernet cable) vs. plugging in a ethernet cable. I'm not sure about now but when I got mine several years ago not all Roku's came with an ethernet port. After the streaming issues I had (only seemed to be an issue with live sports) I bought a Roku that had a ethernet port.

I agree with the typing issues on the remote but it's not a big deal to me. My remote has voice recog on it but I never use it. You can also use a smart phone as a remote and stream music to your device but I don't use these features much either.

B. White

If the amount of channels on the Roku stick is like what comes on Roku TVs, he will never run out of something to watch. We had a Roku stick years ago and I was not impressed, but the TV died and the deal on the new one at Sam's has Roku. We don't watch much tv, but it has plenty for us, a lot more than I remember on the old version. My computer monitor died recently and I could buy the Walmart Roku TV (ONN I think was the brand) cheaper than another monitor of anywhere close to the same size. We have plenty to watch if we feel like it, but it might not be enough for folks who like to spend their day watching fellers chase a ball in a field.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Thanks for the info everyone. Good stuff.

Silver Britches

Went to Walmart to get a Roku the other day and they didn’t have the one I wanted. Saw this Walmart streaming box for $20 and thought I’d give it a try. Only fooled with it for a couple days but I’m impressed with it so far. Pretty snappy performance. The remote is nice as well, and voice search has been pretty accurate. Hard to beat for the price. And yes, there is a lot of stuff free to watch.

Worth looking into if anyone is looking for a streaming device.

Oldstick

Roku and Sling for several years now as well. Well pleased. I had the same experience as Minner using wireless vs wired. Streaming works much faster with a direct wired connection where ever possible. Fortunately I had already run Ethernet jacks in several of the main rooms some years ago.

Silver Britches

My divorce from Comcast became official on Valentines day. And it felt good. But I wasn't single for long. A hot new girl came to town and quickly stole my heart. Her name is Fiber internet, and she's one mighty fast woman!

ROKU and Sling for 5 or so years and no issue other than some extras if you want that you have to pay for. Like we have the orange and blue plan combined

Roku and Sling for several years now as well. Well pleased. I had the same experience as Minner using wireless vs wired. Streaming works much faster with a direct wired connection where ever possible. Fortunately I had already run Ethernet jacks in several of the main rooms some years ago.

I've been streaming Sling TV's free channels to see how well it performs, and the little time I've been doing so, I've had no issues. Seems pretty snappy. If you don't mind checking when you have the time, when y'all look in your account, do you see an option to add a gift card as a form of payment? Only thing I see is Update/Add Payment Information, which is for a CC card. I see nowhere to add a gift card like in this help article. https://www.sling.com/help/en/account-questions/gift-cards/gift-card-existing Talked to one of their fine Indian support dudes today, and he didn't understand what was happening. He finally told me to just create another account and try. Ha! What a great idea! I would've never thought of that! So I did, but I still do not see the option to add a gift card. :huh:

buckmanmike

I use a Firestick at deer camp. No antenna service available there. With the Firestick I can get our Xfinity service from home. There are a few channels unavailable but you can stream most with network apps.
Forgot to say, we use t-mobile for internet service. It has worked great for us. It's router reaches to my cookshack too. Speeds faster than Xfinity at home.

Last edited:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
My divorce from Comcast became official on Valentines day. And it felt good. But I wasn't single for long. A hot new girl came to town and quickly stole my heart. Her name is Fiber internet, and she's one mighty fast woman!

I've been streaming Sling TV's free channels to see how well it performs, and the little time I've been doing so, I've had no issues. Seems pretty snappy. If you don't mind checking when you have the time, when y'all look in your account, do you see an option to add a gift card as a form of payment? Only thing I see is Update/Add Payment Information, which is for a CC card. I see nowhere to add a gift card like in this help article. https://www.sling.com/help/en/account-questions/gift-cards/gift-card-existing Talked to one of their fine Indian support dudes today, and he didn't understand what was happening. He finally told me to just create another account and try. Ha! What a great idea! I would've never thought of that! So I did, but I still do not see the option to add a gift card. :huh:
Try running the gift card as a credit card?
We also ditched Comcast after decades of slavery.…..we do have their internet/Wi-Fi though. Got a Roku box for the guest room and bought 2 giant tvs from Walmart that have the Roku.……$500 for two, shipped to the front door! So far we are very happy and mostly watch YouTube. Ill have to figure something out when the Braves season starts

Geffellz18

My parents have Roku and it seems to work fine. We had the fire box & sticks in the past-They worked ok.
All but one of our tv’s have smartcast so all the apps are pre loaded on the tv already so no need for the boxes/sticks anymore.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

We have a Roku TV and buy Youtube TV. What are the actual browsers you used called or is it just called a TV browser such as Roku or Firestick? We've had both of them and I can't tell much difference. Sort of like using Chrome or Firefox browsers on a computer.
Now the actual app I guess are VOD or OTT? Such as Youtube TV, Hulu, etc. Do most folks just call them streaming apps? Some are free and some you pay for.
And some actually offer both such as Roku. The browser and the VOD app.
Are there any free ones that have cloud DVR's?

j_seph

also look at redbox, they have live tv for free