Round the country father son road trip recap

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Several years ago I drove across the country to catch some salmon in Oregon, then I drove back a completely different direction. For a guy who had never been west of the Mississippi, that was an eye opening experience. This country is very, very big and there are places out there which can never been explained in words or pics. While on that trip all I could think about was taking my kids out there some day so they could see it too..........and with that, the idea of making a round the country road trip with my son, Buzz, his High School graduation present began.

I have always told him that he should figure out where he wants to live, and find work there instead of finding work where he lives. That way he will always be happy with his environment, and that makes a huge difference in quality of life. This road trip was intended to show him how big and amazing this country is, and that there are some really awesome places to go for a person who is adventuous enough to get out there and experience it. Add in the fact that he is leaving home for college in a few weeks, I thought it would be awesome to end his childhood with a bang! I am very proud of him, and it's going to hurt a lot when we move him into his dorm, but, I think I squeezed as much out of fatherhood as I possibly could, and this road trip was a "grand finally" for us both. It ended up being absolutely epic, a truly once in a lifetime adventure that I am so blessed to have experienced with my son.

That being said, two years ago I was hanging around in the billy threads and watching a fishing show of fella catching trout all across western lakes, and it occurred to me that my son's road trip should also be a fishing trip. I told the Billy crew about it, and got started planning.

I spent two years, and hundreds of hours mapping the trip out, scanning charter boat websites, figuring out hotel arrangements, saving every single penny I could, figuring out how we could see all the things a kid from Ga only sees on TV while also catching fish we may never catch again. The idea was to fish in between the sightseeing locations. I built a schedule which laid the trip out in 100 mile "checkpoints" so that I would know each day that I was on schedule. The problem with a trip like this is that if you fall behind, or get off track, you run the risk of not seeing something you had hoped to see, also, I had paid deposits to charter boats all over the country and wanted to make sure we got where we needed to be.

Through all the planning, Buzz and I picked several spots that he wanted to see (Washington DC was off the list because he spent a week there last summer for those who wonder why we didn't go there), and then picked locations to fish along the way. With that, we booked 7 charter boats and plotted a 10,000 mile road trip which would take us around the country counter-clockwise across three weeks. We wouldn't touch every state, but we would definitely touch the majority of them. We didn't see everything there is to see, and, I don't think anybody really can see this whole country in one life time. And, there is no really good way to describe it either.

AI had a few friends as well as my brothers and their sons who wanted to join the trip along the way. Working out the logistics of being at airports at certain times while keeping the road trip on schedule was tricky. None of the pics I am going to post include them because I haven't asked their permission to post them up online, but I will mention them along the way in this thread as I go through all the days.

My initial plan was to "live blog" the trip, but with the forum not accepting my cell pics, and the crazy schedule we had planned, I really just couldn't pull that off. But, I promised those I know that I would do a recap. The only way to do that properly is to make each day it's own post, which is what I will do here.

In all, we caught tuna, bonita, mahi mahi, cod, haddock, pollock, wolf fish, halibut, atlantic mackerel, striped bass, coho salmon, lake trout, walleye, white bass, rock fish, ling cod, flounder, brown trout, kokonee salmon, and redfish........there were a few other species along the way that looked like mutant fish and I can't remember their names.

AS far as wildlife goes, we saw whales, buffalo, 100's of whitetail deer, mule deer, blacktail deer, antelope (they are EVERYWHERE out west), moose, elk, black bear, big horn sheep, wolf, coyotes, western ground hogs and squirrels counterparts (at one spot they called them rock chucks but were yellow bellied marmots), phaesants, many different species of ducks and a road kill porcupine. There were some places where the elk seemed to be everywhere you looked, and others where there was nothing but antelope. At one point, in Maryland, we wondered how they kept any crops in the field given every one we passed had a whole herd of white tail in it. I'm sure I am forgetting some critters at this point. The issue we had with spotting critters is we were usually too far away to get good pics with our cell phones. My one great regret of this trip was that I didn't bring a proper camera with me, only cell phone pics. And, as far as that goes, many of the pics I post will be of me and Buzz, or of just Buzz.......it was a father son road trip, so I insisted on a ton of selfies. I will try to keep them to a minimum, but there are more of them than there are of just landscape pics.

We met some really cool folks along the way in every corner of this great country, even in the Jersey shore and New York City. Almost every charter we booked was top notch. I Couldn't have hoped for it to have gone any better. I will try to give details with each day instead of bogging down this one post with details, so here goes................Tour 'D 'Murica road trip recap:

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Day 1: Travel
States: Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina
637 miles traveled
Ended day in Nags HEad North CArolina

The only cool thing about this day was getting started. All that time planning, saving, and we were finally on the road! My buddy JEff and his son joined us for the first few days of this adventure and were just as pumped as we were. Once we got there, I had a cigar and a beer on the beach with the Atlantic Ocean behind me........Buzz, thankfully, is a tee-totaler and didn't participate in either.

Attachments

• Brent Cell Pics 280.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 280.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 45

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Show us more. That sounds like a fabulous trip JB and I am glad you were able to make it. I have only met you a couple of times, but could tell you love your family and have a great relationship with your son Buzz. You did what a lot of us only dreamed of.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Day 2: Fishing the Outer banks for tuna, then travel
States: North Carolina, Virgina, Maryland
242 miles traveled

The first fishing trip of our adventure was absolutely INSANE! I have always wanted to catch a tuna, and the OBX seemed to be the place to go. I spent a TON of time researching this trip and ruled out all of the TV guides (wicked tuna boats) and hoped to book a good one with little to go on other than websites and facebook pages. And, it was AWESOME! We fished with the Seaducer out of Oregon inlet. These guys were a blast to fish with. Chris, the first mate, kept it fun and was just great to be around. The banter between these guys was epic, and they should put them on TV. Anyway, without knowing what we were getting into the boat ride out was long.........but when the first tuna hit there was a loud "POW" from the line releasing, and the fish were on! WE caught several yellowfin tuna, a few bonita, and a mahi mahi, Buzz and I even doubled up. However, with rough seas, the boys got a little green and started chumming the water........so, we gladly called it early.

Figuring out how to get over 100 #'s of fish (we had over 250 #'s live weight, but I gave Dave and Chris a tuna each and we got close to 50% yeild from the rest) home was a trick, but Chris helped me figure it out and we ended up fedex'n it home in coolers........and it arrived in great shape so now my family is eating these awesome tuna steaks regularly.

After the craziness of getting the fish shipped home we hit the road and drove over 200 miles up to northern Maryland where we ate the absolute best crab cakes I have ever had. The folks there seemed to know we were southerners.........they weren't friendly.......but dang their food was good! I will never be able to eat a crab cake down here again now that I know what they are supposed to taste like.

Attachments

• Brent Cell Pics 284.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 284.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Brent Cell Pics 289_2.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 289_2.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Brent Cell Pics 300_2.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 300_2.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Brent Cell Pics 305_2.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 305_2.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 81
  • Brent Cell Pics 307_2.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 307_2.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 79

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Show us more. That sounds like a fabulous trip JB and I am glad you were able to make it. I have only met you a couple of times, but could tell you love your family and have a great relationship with your son Buzz. You did what a lot of us only dreamed of.

Thanks Bo$$! I am going to add each day individually.........day 2 is up. This is going to take a while (which is also why I couldn't do it on the road trip).

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Day 3: Sightseeing
States: Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire
520 miles traveled

We had a few things to do on day three: see the statue of liberty and eat a famous sammich in New York City. However, on the way we stopped for Buzz to visit his great grandmother on his mother's side (she and I have been divorced over 15 years but his grandparents are good folks and they asked me to visit on the way so we did) on the Jersey shore. First thing I noticed about the neighborhoods in the area was that every house .had an American flag flying, which I thought was very cool and unexpected (guilty of stereotyping). Second, Buzz' great granmother, who I had only met once years ago, invited me and my friend and his son in as well and treated us all like family and was just as hospitable as anybody I've ever met, tried to feed us and make us coffee, but we just didn't have time for either. She was so thankful to see Buzz.......she had pics of him and printouts of all the cool things he had ever done. That was a good moment for us, and all of us were so glad we went there.

After that we made it to the battery (I think that's what it's called) on the Jersey side of NYC and saw the SOL. We didn't take the ferry over to it, seeing it was cool enough. Then we drove into the heart of hades, NYC, and had the best sammich I have ever eaten at KAtz deli, Buzz got the pastrami sammich and I got a pastrami rueben. When the meat carver there learned that we were on a round the country fishing trip he got all kind of excited.......this was a hispanic fella in the heart of Manhattan.......but he told us he "lived for fishing." As he prepped the sammiches he told us all about the places he fishes, the time to go, etc. IT was cool meeting another fisherman in the place I would least expect it. It was also cool to know there are good folks everywhere, even in the absolute worst place I have ever been.

Then we left New York for what would be one of the two most god-awful car rides I have ever experienced. We were in a traffic Jam from New York City, all the way across conneticut, and into Massachusettes. This is also the only time I had to cut anything out of the trip. We had originally intended to drive through Rhode Island just to say we did it, but with the traffic being so terrible, we couldn't make it. So we headed to the hotel.........another thing I had to make sure of was that we got plenty of sleep each night, and only drove in the daytime (what good is a road trip to see the country if you couldn't see it).

Attachments

• Brent Cell Pics 325.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 325.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Brent Cell Pics 331.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 331.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Brent Cell Pics 332.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 332.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Brent Cell Pics 333.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 333.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 30

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Day 4: Offshore fishing the Maine Coast
States: New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont
171 miles traveled

On day 4 we fished in Maine. The big draw up there is bluefish and stripers, but we have all caught stripers here, and blues in Florida, so I booked an offshore trip. What's famous about this area is that George HW Bush has a home on the ocean, and in the past, he would get out and fish all the time and the locals have all met and fished near him. The guide, Greg of G Cove Charters, had some good stories to tell, and was sad that era would soon be coming to an end.

On this boat we saw whales, and caught Cod, Haddock, Pollock, halibut, wolf fish, atlantic mackeral, harbor pollack, and stripers. The offshore fishing was unreal.......we were jigging GIANT spoons in over 200 feet of water, but the bite was very steady. We caught well over 100 fish, and these weren't small fish by no means, but had to throw everything but the 17"+ haddock back due to local regulations against recreational fisherman keeping cod and other fish (I think Florida has similar issues).

Catching a halibut was one of those "once in a lifetime" things for me. Even though I had to let it go, it was still worth the trip. And, the cod were very good sized and put up an awesome fight. By 11:30 we were all whopped from reeling in so many fish.........we asked the guide if he thought we might could try and catch a saltwater striper, and he happily obliged. I just want to point out how cool it was for this guide to switch gears in the middle of the trip knowing that we were on this once in a lifetime adventure, and working extra hard to make sure we had the best time.

BAck inshore, Buzz and my friend's son both caught a striper, and we were very happy to end the day with a few bags of fresh haddock filets.

From there, we drove to Ogunquit Maine to see what is called the "margin walk," which is a walkway along Maine's rocky shore. It was very cool. And then we went and got a lobster roll which was absolutely amazing, yet crazy expensive........and, much like Maryland, the folks in the restraunt seemed to know we weren't locals, and weren't very friendly. After our awesome and overpriced dinner, we drove over 100 miles to Brattleboro Vermont.

Attachments

• Brent Cell Pics 335_2.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 335_2.JPG
    378.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Brent Cell Pics 343_2.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 343_2.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Brent Cell Pics 354_2.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 354_2.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Brent Cell Pics 358_2.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 358_2.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 65
  • Brent Cell Pics 371_2.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 371_2.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 59
  • Buzz Striper.jpg
    Buzz Striper.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 57

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Did not realize the rules were that tight on recreational fishing up there.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Day 5: Sightseeing Baseball Hall of Fame and Niagara Falls
States: Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania
Miles Traveled: 495

Day 5 began with us dropping my friend and his son off at Albany airport, and Buzz and I made the turn west. Before we got to the Baseball Hall of Fame, we were in for a huge surprise........upstate NEw York is absolutely beautiful. When I think of NEw York, I think of the city. The area between Albany and Cooperstown rivals anything else I have seen east of the Mississippi. Giant, rolling, green hills and beatiful old farm places. The country side has very few house, and the occasional red barn and cilo. Buzz couldn't believe it........he set out on the journey thinking that he wouldn't see anything that cool until we got out west.

We got to Cooperstown, and if you are a baseball fan (the JB family is a baseball family, for sure), it is a "must see." The town feels like you stepped back in time to the 1930s. It's a tourist trap, for sure, but it's done right. We pulled into town before it got busy and didn't have to stand in line to get into the museum. And it was awesome! Chipper hasn't been inducted yet, but he has signed the wall where his plaque will hang. All this history, I think I could spend several days in there reading everything. They have 3 floors of memorabelia from famous home run balls, to bats used by BAbe Ruth, to cleats worn by Rickey Henderson, to gloves used by Ozzie Smith. Walking into the hall where all the inductees faces are is a dang near religious experience for those who love the game. This is one of the places Buzz says is on his "list" where he would like to live one day.

After this we drove across the state to Niagara falls and took a quick selfie. On the American side the view isn't that great, and it is a tourist trap, and not done well at all. It was worth seeing, and it was cool to look across the river and see CAnada, but I doubt I will ever go back.

Then we drove to Erie PA, where I ate the most overpriced "perch" of my life in a little diner........I am including a pic, the bowl of slaw in the foreground is a typical side bowl size, and I paid $20 for the perch on the place for perspective. We got a laugh out of it when they brought it out..........the sammich in New York was expensive, but it was also worth every penny. This meal, however, wasn't.

Attachments

• Brent Cell Pics 378_2.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 378_2.JPG
    248.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Brent Cell Pics 379_2.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 379_2.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Brent Cell Pics 382_2.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 382_2.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Brent Cell Pics 384_2.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 384_2.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Brent Cell Pics 388_2.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 388_2.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Brent Cell Pics 389_2.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 389_2.JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Brent Cell Pics 394_2.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 394_2.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Brent Cell Pics 396_2.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 396_2.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 53

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Did not realize the rules were that tight on recreational fishing up there.

It was ridiculous. OF the 100+ fish we caught, we were only able to keep about 12 of the haddock........everything else had to go back. The cod, in particular, were the most plentiful fish, and we couldn't keep any of them. Much like the redfish in Florida.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Day 6: Travel
States: Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan
726 miles traveled

This was one of our more difficult travel days. We left Erie PA in the morning, and had to meet up with one of my brothers and his son who were flying into Detroit to jump on the northern leg of the trip with us. My Mom's husband has family up there, and was visiting them, and picked them up at the airport, and we all arrived for lunch at a place he picked which was famous for BIG sammiches, called TOny's in Flint MI. This was a good sammich, not as good as NY, but still better than most I've had. It worked out great, and we all arrived at the restraunt about 10 minutes apart.

Then, we drove up to the upper peninsula of Michigan to a little town called MArquette. I always knew the great lakes were big, but had no concept.......they actually look like the ocean. The northern lakes are also very blue. I guess I never thought about how big they were until I saw them, but it was very much worth seeing. In all we got to see parts of Lakes erie, huron, Michigan, and Superior. Driving across the bridge from the lower peninsula to the upper peninsula is an experience, for sure. The "UP" is a very cool place. We stopped at a little convenience store and tried some smoked lake trout which was awesome, then headed up to Marquette where we stayed in prep for the next day's fishing adventure.........sorry for the bad pics, all we had was cell phones.

Attachments

• Buzz Cell Pics 014.JPG
    Buzz Cell Pics 014.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Buzz Cell Pics 015.JPG
    Buzz Cell Pics 015.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Buzz Cell Pics 016.JPG
    Buzz Cell Pics 016.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 19

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I'll post up the rest of this tomorrow......gettin late and I don't wanna mess up any details.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
DAy 7: Fishing Lake superior
Sates: Michigan
8 miles traveled
Ended Day in MArquettte MI, where the day started (only time on the road trip we did this).

40 miles offshore in LAke Superior is a lighthouse which is over 100 years old and sits on an underwater mountain range. It is the most remote lighthouse in the United states, and the fishing there is supposed to be amazing. I had booked out trip out there but the weather was not cooperative. John, our guide, called me the night before and told me the bad news, but said we could give it a shot near shore........and given we were there to fish, that sounded great to us.

First, all these northern states consider early to mid - June as springtime. We were in hoodies most mornings. Second, we started the day as one of the only boats out of the marina, and on that giant body of water, we only saw one other boat all day, given I spend a lot of time on Allatoona, this was a welcome sight in the middle of June.

The charter we fished with was Daybreak charters, and John was awesome to be around and swap stories with. Even though the fishing was slow, he worked like crazy all day to put some in the box. There were five of us on this boat (Buzz, myself, my brother, his son, and my step father), and everybody caught a few fish. John was constantly swapping things trying to find patterns that worked.

I want to say that, leading up to and during the trip, there were some folks who really seemed to get what we were trying to accomplish this trip, and Chris from the Seaducer, Greg on the G Cove, and John with Daybreak all seemed to "get it," and really went the extra mile to try and help make it memorable. I hope to fish with all of them again one day.

The town of Marquette is a cool little college town, and the lake is absolutely beautiful. This was the only charter we had that got downgraded due to weather. We caught a few small coho salmon and Lake Trout. Great day for "slow fishing."

We stayed in MArquette that night, and got caught up on our rest.

Attachments

• Brent Cell Pics 418_2.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 418_2.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Brent Cell Pics 424_2.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 424_2.JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Brent Cell Pics 435_2.JPG
    Brent Cell Pics 435_2.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 53

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Very awesome. That will be a trip Buzz will talk about his whole.life.

Cmp1

BANNED
Day 6: Travel
States: Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan
726 miles traveled

This was one of our more difficult travel days. We left Erie PA in the morning, and had to meet up with one of my brothers and his son who were flying into Detroit to jump on the northern leg of the trip with us. My Mom's husband has family up there, and was visiting them, and picked them up at the airport, and we all arrived for lunch at a place he picked which was famous for BIG sammiches, called TOny's in Flint MI. This was a good sammich, not as good as NY, but still better than most I've had. It worked out great, and we all arrived at the restraunt about 10 minutes apart.

Then, we drove up to the upper peninsula of Michigan to a little town called MArquette. I always knew the great lakes were big, but had no concept.......they actually look like the ocean. The northern lakes are also very blue. I guess I never thought about how big they were until I saw them, but it was very much worth seeing. In all we got to see parts of Lakes erie, huron, Michigan, and Superior. Driving across the bridge from the lower peninsula to the upper peninsula is an experience, for sure. The "UP" is a very cool place. We stopped at a little convenience store and tried some smoked lake trout which was awesome, then headed up to Marquette where we stayed in prep for the next day's fishing adventure.........sorry for the bad pics, all we had was cell phones.

Should have gotten in touch with me,,,, great story and pic's,,,,

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
You didn't stop in Ohio?:huh: You could've took in the pro football hall of fame in my home town of canton. It would have been a good 1/2 day out of your way though. Looking forward to: the rest of the story