Ruger LCR: Ugly as a mud fence, but shoots better than a J frame.

Balrog

I picked up a Ruger LCR about 2 weeks ago. I was looking for a lightweight revolver in 38 Special that could handle +P loads and was DAO so I didn't have to worry about snagging on the draw if I was carrying in a pocket. I handled a S&W 442 (I think that was the model) and the Ruger LCR. I ended up picking the Ruger because I thought it felt a little better in the store. The S&W looked better, and I generally prefer S&W revolvers to Ruger revolvers, but thought I would give the Ruger a try. One thing I liked about it was it had a high visibility front sight that included a tritium insert.

I have had it out shooting now a few times and have put about 200 rounds through it. The rounds were a mix of Federal 158g LSWC-HP (+P), Federal 110 g Hydrashocks, and then some Remington cheap FMJ, I think 130g.

The Ruger shot great. The DAO pull on the Ruger is easier to manage than the DA trigger pull on my old S&W 36. It seemed a little lighter, maybe, but the pull was much smoother.

The front sight made a huge difference in accuracy, much better than the blade front sight on my S&W 36.

Recoil was not a problem. I have always found J frames to have pretty bad recoil especially if shooting +P rounds. The Ruger's recoil is milder for sure. I really could not tell much difference between the 158g +P rounds and the 110g Hydrashocks, which were labelled low recoil.

I did most of the shooting at 25 feet, which is a reasonable distance for self defense, and all shots will go into a pie-plate sized circle shooting double action. I think it would get the job done as long as I do my part in a self defense encounter.

All rounds shot about the same accuracy.

I will probably keep it loaded with the Federal 158 LSWC-HP +P ammo. This is the old FBI load before they went and got fancy and upgraded to semi-autos. I think the Federal 110g Hydra-shocks would be a good choice too, if someone wanted something with slightly less recoil, but really the difference in recoil to me was just not very much.

Just thought I would give the feedback here. Overall, I would say its probably the ugliest gun I own, but shoots pretty dang sweet and I would not hesitate to drop it in me pocket when I go for a stroll around the compound.

transfixer

I shot one of those in .357mag that an LE undercover uses, quite a handful with full house .357 loads, but still manageable, I agree its not the best looking revolver out there, but the smooth DA trigger pull can't be beat in my opinion, they are also rather light in weight.

Dub

I've yet to hear any owner voice complaints about them.

A pocket-totable handgun that handles a capable round is a good thing to own. Sounds like yours has a really nice sight & trigger upgrade over the other pocket guns.

Better sights & trigger strongly influenced my choice in what I carry in those situations, too.

My trusty ole 442 has been bumped to chair side duty as a result. :bounce:

Red dirt clod

I’ve bought 3 of them so far, one for wife, gave one to my sister and kept one for me. Sweet little pocket pistols.

transfixer

I'd like to find one of the lcr-x models in 22lr, it has a little longer barrel, 3in I think ? and 8 shot.

280 Man

Banned
Ugly guns need loving to!! LOL

On another note, other than "just because you can" why do you need +p ammo? It cost a little more, is harder on your weapon and has a little more recoil.

Do you really think the percieved benefits of +p warrant the use. Let's face it, if regular ol standard pressure 38 bullets won't stop and attacker at spitting distance I really dont think +p will!

Just my 2 cents. Ymmv

Big7

The Oracle
Can't hardly beat a Ruger.

I have 3 more at the gun store because of a denial I haven't got cleared up yet.

2 are LCP's in .380. One all black and one anniversary with a stainless slide.

Be glad when I get those baby's home.

Balrog

Ugly guns need loving to!! LOL

On another note, other than "just because you can" why do you need +p ammo? It cost a little more, is harder on your weapon and has a little more recoil.

Do you really think the percieved benefits of +p warrant the use. Let's face it, if regular ol standard pressure 38 bullets won't stop and attacker at spitting distance I really dont think +p will!

Just my 2 cents. Ymmv

I think that is a good point. Shot placement and penetration are more important than +P. I just happened to have a lot of the +P on hand. To be honest, I didnt feel much difference in recoil between it and the Federal Hydrashocks that are supposed to be "low recoil".

I consider a standard pressure 38 Special load to be a better performer (probably marginally) than a 380 ACP, mainly because the 38 Special will generally run heavier bullets.

Reactions: Dub

280 Man

Banned
I think that is a good point. Shot placement and penetration are more important than +P. I just happened to have a lot of the +P on hand. To be honest, I didnt feel much difference in recoil between it and the Federal Hydrashocks that are supposed to be "low recoil".

I consider a standard pressure 38 Special load to be a better performer (probably marginally) than a 380 ACP, mainly because the 38 Special will generally run heavier bullets.

Id definitely shoot/use what I had in abundance..

GunnSmokeer

I don't think the "FBI load" (158 gr. all lead SWC-shaped HP) is The best choice available today from a 2 inch barrel revolver. The FBI use that load out of 3 inch barrel 357 magnum revolvers and larger duty guns.

But numerous ballistics tests (gel) show that these bullets don't expand reliably from the low velocities short barrel revolvers generate. Why shoot a bullet that will not expand at all when you have the option of getting different bullets that will expand to .40" or even 50 or .55 caliber while still penetrating 10 or 12 inches ?

Tom W.

My son just bought one about two months ago. I haven't fired it, but did get to dry fire it and I was amazed at how smooth it was. Almost felt like my LC9s Pro.....

I cast,lubed and sized 400 158 gr. Lee 358-158 RF for him to play with....

Reactions: Dub