Ruined hunting in Dahlonega ga

doddlebug

Use to hunt at three sisters mt. Dahlonega ga but now hikers and birdwatchers have taken over. Run all the deer off so here I sit. Takes with ranger about posting closed sign during hunting season. He said can’t they pay taxes also. Well it sure is not safe with a bunch of idiots running through the woods. So. Maybe a law suit will fix that after some idiot walks in the path of a deer and a hunter. Disaster waiting to happen. This morning at seven some lady in shorts in rd. Looked like one of those meth heads with sores all over her face. Thanks a lot DNR.

Last edited by a moderator:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Use to hunt at three sisters mt. Dahlonega ga but now hikers and birdwatchers have taken over. Run all the deer off so here I sit. Takes with ranger about posting closed sign during hunting season. He said can’t they pay taxes also. Well it sure is not safe with a bunch of idiots running through the woods. So. Maybe a law suit will fix that after some idiot walks in the path of a deer and a hunter. Disaster waiting to happen. This morning at seven some lady in shorts in rd. Looked like one of those meth heads with sores all over her face. Thanks a lot DNR.
If it's forest service land then that's absolutely correct, your desire to hunt doesn't override someone else's desire to hike or birdwatch. Hunters didn't buy the national forest, all citizens did. Sounds like you need to get further off of the trails, most hikers and bird watchers stay on trails and don't just go randomly walking through the woods.

Last edited:

OwlRNothing

I agree with Killmaster, but I also can see how that could be really frustrating. It's a problem more and more often b/c of growing populations everywhere. That said, I don't think it would be imposing on anyone's ability to use an area if there were specific days for hunting where hiking wasn't allowed, and hiking days with no hunting. The problem with that would be getting people to understand and go by that rule/law in a world where no one thinks anything applies to them anymore because they are too important to obey the law, etc. The only real solution may be moving out west where the cows and cornfields outnumber the humans. ??? I dunno.

specialk

i hunt near a nature preserve(private) about 200 yds off the property line and hear folks talking and laughing every saturday about 9am....deer dont mind it and are use to it.....

Robust Redhorse

Killmaster is right.

Get farther off the trails and roads. I doubt you will see a hiker or birdwatcher.

I had a friend get a real "big 'un" last week in a similar-type place. He just hunted far from the zillions of hikers that use the trail every day.

Lilly001

One of my food plots is right behind a trailer that is full of teenagers.
I can hear everything they say(or mostly yell).
I often have deer in the plot while they are carrying on.
They are not in sight due to a real thick patch of woods I left on my side of the line. But I’m often surprised by how unaffected the deer are to the noise.

Robust Redhorse

The biggest bucks I have every seen in Georgia have been in municipalities that forbid the "discharge of firearms"

The fact that someone gets killed every day by a gunshot in these places doesn't seem to make much difference.

At least, you are not limited to a bow and arrow where you are.

OwlRNothing

I didn't know the DNR was the agency responsible for keeping the public off of public land. Learn something new everyday.

My previous knowledge of complaints like this is that it leads to a closure to hunting, not hiking.
You're right. They're not. That's the BLM.

bullgator

If it's forest service land then that's absolutely correct, your desire to hunt doesn't override someone else's desire to hike or birdwatch. Hunters didn't buy the national forest, all citizens did. Sounds like you need to get further off of the trails, most hikers and bird watchers stay on trails and don't just go randomly walking through the woods.
I’m guessing there are no P-R monies used there…..?