S@W 9VE 9mm Jamming

JimmieP

Your Magazine spring has become week. Take the spring out of the magazine and give it a good stretch (don't over do it). That will most generally fix stove pipe problems.

Dub

Did he replace the extractor spring ?

Extractor ?

How was it resolved?

Steve762us

The extractor would be the first place to look, since it wasn't failing to eject--it wasn't getting a chance to eject, because the fired case wasn't leaving the chamber.

It also was not a 'stove pipe', and mag springs don't cause stove pipes, but that's something for another thread. :giggle:

JimmieP

The extractor would be the first place to look, since it wasn't failing to eject--it wasn't getting a chance to eject, because the fired case wasn't leaving the chamber.

It also was not a 'stove pipe', and mag springs don't cause stove pipes, but that's something for another thread. :giggle:
90% of stove pipe is caused from a week mag spring not giving enough lift to help push out the existing cartridge. It's the cheapest, easiest, and first thing to check. Just take the mag spring out and give it a good stretch and put it back in and try it out. If it doesn't fix the problem then start spending money on a Gunsmith and parts. And yes the next step is the extractor spring and sharpen the grabs on the extractor. Also see if the ejector hasn't worn down or broken.

rosewood

I too am curious if it was fixed. But being a S&W, it has a lifetime warranty an no need for him to be trying things out, just let the mother ship fix it.

Rosewood

Reactions: Dub

fauxferret

Looks like extractor issue not the ejector. There was an issue several years ago with a batch of them. Supposedly they went to MIM parts vs. Machined parts. Not sure how much truth was in that. Truthfully S&W will still cover the warranty repair on it. You will likely have to pay for the shipping though. Not the fastest way to get it repaired but likely the most inexpensive.

rosewood

Looks like extractor issue not the ejector. There was an issue several years ago with a batch of them. Supposedly they went to MIM parts vs. Machined parts. Not sure how much truth was in that. Truthfully S&W will still cover the warranty repair on it. You will likely have to pay for the shipping though. Not the fastest way to get it repaired but likely the most inexpensive.
Nope s&w pays shipping both ways. They will email u a shipping label. I have sent in 5+ guns over the years and they always pay. Last one maybe 2 years ago. All it cost u is gas to FedEx.

fauxferret

Nope s&w pays shipping both ways. They will email u a shipping label. I have sent in 5+ guns over the years and they always pay. Last one maybe 2 years ago. All it cost u is gas to FedEx.
Couldn’t remember how S&W was. I know it varies from company to company. I’ve dealt with them in the past working in the industry. But none of my S&W stuff has gone back but most of them they don’t make anymore so it’s a moot point.

rosewood

that in itself is sad.....
They were guns discontinued in the early 90s. Small springs that needed to be replaced. Didn't affect function of gun. Thing called trigger play spring. I have like 12 of those guns.

Had 2 TC barrels replaced by them that were made long before they bought TC also. Even let me swap chamberings.

Steve762us

90% of stove pipe is caused from a week mag spring not giving enough lift to help push out the existing cartridge an underpowered round, that lacked energy to push slide back far enough for extracted case to hit ejector. .

Ejectors eject. Magazine springs push round stack up, and put top round in position
for slide to strip out & chambering--after the fired case has been extracted (by the
extractor) and ejected (by the ejector).

A weak magazine spring can give failure to chamber a round/slide closing on
empty chamber, and/or slide failing to lock-back on empty mag.

Dub

Well....it's closing in on 5 months.

@madsam can you give us an update on what solved your problem ?

Please tell us that it was repaired and you didn't flip-dump the gun and buy a Glock. :rofl:

I'm just joking....the Glock guys will lynch me.

Hey....I'm a Glock guy, too. Always have been. (y)

rosewood

Dub

Everyone has their faults, but we forgive you anyway.

Forgiveness feels mighty good this morning. :rofl:

That and a big ole mug of java. (y):coffee:(y)

Now.....to reconnect with my childhood.

Gonna feel like my 8yr old self at the range later this morning....shooting a dang bolt action rimfire. First time in I can't remember how many years.....decades upon decades.

Since that time I've dabbled on the dark side.....err...the dark plastic side....Glock "perfection" and all that. Dabbled....used & abused them.......but always preferred the 1911 to all else. Always will.

rosewood

madsam

Well....it's closing in on 5 months.

@madsam can you give us an update on what solved your problem ?

Please tell us that it was repaired and you didn't flip-dump the gun and buy a Glock. :rofl:

I'm just joking....the Glock guys will lynch me.

Hey....I'm a Glock guy, too. Always have been. (y)
I haven't made it to the Gunsmith ...Too busy , plus I have plenty of back up. Maybe this week. When I finally do have it repaired I will update you. Thanks for the reminder.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I'm going with alien body under the extractor.