Salmon - Alaska Style...

Triple C

Two years ago almost to the day, my son and I had the opportunity to go on a fly fishing trip to Nondalton, AK. The fishing was amazing. But, the food...just as amazing. The highlight of the week was fresh caught sockeye salmon prepared stream side by the guide. He prepared 4 fillets in 4 different manners. My favorite was a fillet smeared in spicy mayo as a base, then sprinkled with diced jalapenos, then covered in crumbled Ruffles cheddar cheese sour cream flavor potato chips. Holy Cow was it amazing!

Here's a few pics from that day and the salmon preparation. We were catching mostly rainbow and an occasional sockeye.
AK Salmon I.JPGAK Salmon II.JPG

Guide preparing the filets
AK Salmon III.jpg

On the open fire grilling
AK Salmon VIII.JPG

After 2 years, I decided to prepare salmon fillets last night for dinner. Picked up a couple of fillets from Publix on the way home along with Boar's Head chipotle mayo, diced jalapenos, Ruffles cheddar sour cream chips, and paired it with cauliflower au gratin and wild rice. Fellers...the next time you decide to grill salmon, do yourself a favor and try this concoction. The Boar's Head chipotle mayo as a base in off the chains good. The jalapenos give it just the right bite and the crumbled cheddar sour cream chips on top adds a crunch and taste that's off the charts.

The fillets were not near the size we had in AK but just the right size for the Ms and me. Left the mayo n jalapenos off the wife's filet. She liked mine better.
AK Salmon VII.jpg

This plate ate mighty, mighty fine!
AK Salmon Plated.jpg

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I love my fish cornmealed and deep fried, but that right there looks almighty good. Gonna have to try it too.

Triple C

Yessir...Next time you grill fish it be interesting to see how this concoction does on 'southern' fish. On salmon, I think you'd find it mighty tasty.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yessir...Next time you grill fish it be interesting to see how this concoction does on 'southern' fish. On salmon, I think you'd find it mighty tasty.

I`m thinking grouper, maybe dolphin, or even flounder.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That looks mighty tasty. I would never have thought about putting tater chips on a salmon fillet.

Triple C

Well...I thought the same when the guide brought out the Ruffles chips and said he was gonna knock our socks off. Never seen a salmon filet smeared with spicy mayo and then covered in diced jalapenos. Then he crushed the bag of chips and started pouring them over the top. Sucker built a fire from drift wood, threw that grill on it after the wood burned down to coals and we ate a gourmet meal. Can't believe I waited 2 years to try this at home. Somebody try it and tell me what you think.

Triple C

Went simple tonite. Told the wife I was in the mood for red meat and stopped by Publix after lunch. Picked up a couple of bleu cheese burger patties, mix of mushrooms, small yeller onion, 2 taters and a bag of slaw cabbage. Cooked the onions n shrooms in butter and red wine. Threw the burgers on the grill and nuked the taters.

Throwed my Hienz 57 on top of mine and wife went with A1. I love me some Hienz 57 on naked burgers and pork chops. Ate pretty good again tonite.
Tonight's meal.jpg

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Two years ago almost to the day, my son and I had the opportunity to go on a fly fishing trip to Nondalton, AK. The fishing was amazing. But, the food...just as amazing. The highlight of the week was fresh caught sockeye salmon prepared stream side by the guide. He prepared 4 fillets in 4 different manners. My favorite was a fillet smeared in spicy mayo as a base, then sprinkled with diced jalapenos, then covered in crumbled Ruffles cheddar cheese sour cream flavor potato chips. Holy Cow was it amazing!

Here's a few pics from that day and the salmon preparation. We were catching mostly rainbow and an occasional sockeye.
View attachment 977474View attachment 977475

Guide preparing the filets
View attachment 977476

On the open fire grilling
View attachment 977477

After 2 years, I decided to prepare salmon fillets last night for dinner. Picked up a couple of fillets from Publix on the way home along with Boar's Head chipotle mayo, diced jalapenos, Ruffles cheddar sour cream chips, and paired it with cauliflower au gratin and wild rice. Fellers...the next time you decide to grill salmon, do yourself a favor and try this concoction. The Boar's Head chipotle mayo as a base in off the chains good. The jalapenos give it just the right bite and the crumbled cheddar sour cream chips on top adds a crunch and taste that's off the charts.

The fillets were not near the size we had in AK but just the right size for the Ms and me. Left the mayo n jalapenos off the wife's filet. She liked mine better.
View attachment 977478

This plate ate mighty, mighty fine!
View attachment 977479
Pure Awesomeness!!!

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
You a member of the TCM wine club too?

ryork

Well...I thought the same when the guide brought out the Ruffles chips and said he was gonna knock our socks off. Never seen a salmon filet smeared with spicy mayo and then covered in diced jalapenos. Then he crushed the bag of chips and started pouring them over the top. Sucker built a fire from drift wood, threw that grill on it after the wood burned down to coals and we ate a gourmet meal. Can't believe I waited 2 years to try this at home. Somebody try it and tell me what you think.

I think catching the meal and the surroundings certainly play into how much it is enjoyed, but regardless that just sounds off the chain. It’s on my list to do at some point.

Big7

The Oracle
I have a whole fillet in the freezer. Next time Boss Hen goes out, I'm going to cook it. I like just about all my protein medium-rare to medium. Not more. If hers won't bounce off of cement, she won't eat it. I REFUSE TO EAT ANYTHING OR COOK ANYTHING PAST MEDIUM.

My Daddy was that way. He liked everything done. He would eat it cooked right, but everything he cooked was DONE. I think this thread done flung a craving on me. I love almost any fatty fish cooked or raw.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
If hers won't bounce off of cement, she won't eat it.
My Mom used to grill meat to perfect med / med - rare.....then wrap in tin foil and put in the oven as the baked taters cooked. Shoe leather. Once out and cook'n on my own I went from 5'-1" 125lbs. to 6'-0" 180lbs. in six months. Amazing what well cooked food will do.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I’ve been fortunate enough to go on some amazing vacations. My 2nd favorite next to Italy was a trip we made to Alaska. I got to fish for Halibut but not for Salmon. I want to plan a trip back in the next couple years and take my dad and salmon fish. ......Coincidently we had sockeye salmon tonight that we caught at Costco. (Forgot to take pics )

Big7

The Oracle
I’ve been fortunate enough to go on some amazing vacations. My 2nd favorite next to Italy was a trip we made to Alaska. I got to fish for Halibut but not for Salmon. I want to plan a trip back in the next couple years and take my dad and salmon fish. ......Coincidently we had sockeye salmon tonight that we caught at Costco. (Forgot to take pics )

I've always liked to eat Halibut. Never have had the opportunity to fish for them. Owner of a company I worked for went to Alaska one time (company did/does $50million a year) and I was invited but didn't because of fear of flying. Anyhooo.. He went and the party wore out some Halibut and Salmon- deep, cold part of the ocean. Soooo.. I can get to some Salmon and Trout - not Halibut. When he brought 4 BIG coolers to give away, I pounced on the Halibut. Most of the rest diving for Salmon, I was getting the Halibut. They didn't know what a Halibut was. I capitalised on that and brought home 40 pounds. That's when I bought my first vacuum sealer. 20 years ago. I would go now, given the flying is not an issue now. I messed up- BIG TIME.

Triple C

You a member of the TCM wine club too?

I'm a total novice when it comes to wine. I just randomly pick a bottle off the shelf in the $15 range and give it a try, usually a cab, pinot noir or occasionally chianti. If I like it, I take a pic of it so I remember next time in store.

Patriot44

Banned
This is awesome! Alaska is on my list! I have ten sates left to hit all 50 and I want to Alaska the 50th. Hopefully within the next 2 years.

Cmp1

BANNED
I had a friend bring over two large Steelhead fillets from a river just north of us last year,,,,made up a orange glaze for it and broiled it,,,,it was decent,,,,