Salmon - Alaska Style...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Well...I thought the same when the guide brought out the Ruffles chips and said he was gonna knock our socks off. Never seen a salmon filet smeared with spicy mayo and then covered in diced jalapenos. Then he crushed the bag of chips and started pouring them over the top. Sucker built a fire from drift wood, threw that grill on it after the wood burned down to coals and we ate a gourmet meal. Can't believe I waited 2 years to try this at home. Somebody try it and tell me what you think.
There is nothing better than fresh fish cooked beside the water they swam in. That had to be a great trip. I've always wanted to get up that way. Those arctic char look like an interesting fish to catch, also, and have unbelievable coloration.

Triple C

There is nothing better than fresh fish cooked beside the water they swam in. That had to be a great trip. I've always wanted to get up that way. Those arctic char look like an interesting fish to catch, also, and have unbelievable coloration.
NCH - I actually thought about you and a few of the others that post regularly in the fly-fishing section while I was up there and how much you guys would enjoy this type of experience. I"m basically an novice fly fisherman, have never tied a fly, wouldn't know what to use on a stream without someone telling me, etc. But oddly enough, I've practiced quite a bit with a fly rod over the years. I bought both my boys fly rods when they were young teenagers and spent quite a bit of time learning to cast.

Regarding my Alaska experience, I was the recipient of a very generous guy that owns the business I work for. He took several of us up there, including my son, on the fishing trip of a lifetime. We saw numerous brown bear, flew out on float planes every morning over tundra and experienced incredible fishing.

I was quite pleased that the casting came back to me rather easy while up there. Even got quite proficient at roll casting while there. Oddly enough, we never threw a fly, only plastic beads with a very small hook about 1/2 inch below the bead to mimic salmon eggs. 90% of what we caught were rainbow trout. The few salmon we caught it was like a torpedo hitting the line.

Think there's Grayling there too,,,,
The lodge we stayed at in Nondalton was on Lake Clark. The first afternoon there the guides loaded us up in boats and off we went up the lake until we reached an area where the water was running fairly well and practiced our fly fishing technique on graylings. We caught quite a few.

Cmp1

BANNED
NCH - I actually thought about you and a few of the others that post regularly in the fly-fishing section while I was up there and how much you guys would enjoy this type of experience. I"m basically an novice fly fisherman, have never tied a fly, wouldn't know what to use on a stream without someone telling me, etc. But oddly enough, I've practiced quite a bit with a fly rod over the years. I bought both my boys fly rods when they were young teenagers and spent quite a bit of time learning to cast.

Regarding my Alaska experience, I was the recipient of a very generous guy that owns the business I work for. He took several of us up there, including my son, on the fishing trip of a lifetime. We saw numerous brown bear, flew out on float planes every morning over tundra and experienced incredible fishing.

I was quite pleased that the casting came back to me rather easy while up there. Even got quite proficient at roll casting while there. Oddly enough, we never threw a fly, only plastic beads with a very small hook about 1/2 inch below the bead to mimic salmon eggs. 90% of what we caught were rainbow trout. The few salmon we caught it was like a torpedo hitting the line.

The lodge we stayed at in Nondalton was on Lake Clark. The first afternoon there the guides loaded us up in boats and off we went up the lake until we reached an area where the water was running fairly well and practiced our fly fishing technique on graylings. We caught quite a few.
Used to be Grayling here in MI too,,,,city named after them,,,,

GA1dad

I like salmon, I like mayo, I like cheddar sour cream chips,,,,,, needless to say I thing I'm gonna have to try this some time!!!