Sausage Making Question?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with NCHB, Only grind once and mix the bag with about 22lbs of meat.
I also like adding some good sage to mine also. If it was just for me, I would also add some red pepper flakes but my other half wont touch it if I do.
I always add pepper flakes. Personally, I think the Leggs has enough sage.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Change of plans. I realized I wasn't gonna have time to fool with it this weekend. Our VBS starts tomorrow night, so I put the venison back in the freezer.
I've got some in the freezer I keep trying to make time to do up. Going to do some deer brats and Italian.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's one of those things that keeps slipping my mind. It's a shame when life gets to busy to make sausage! ??
Yep.

Big7

The Oracle
I do it right then. Put seasoning on then grind.
Then get pan hot and sample 1st bit.
We also add other seasons to what we like. no 2 batches are the same.
Yes.
I left that out. Mine is down to exact weights and measures. I don't have to cook a piece.

If you are just getting into it, @kmckinnie brought up a VERY important point.

Until you can do it in your sleep, cook a piece and try it.

You do need to know that when it sets- it definitely will be more salty or hot or sage(er) if that's even a word.

Fresh plain just ground straight into a patty- when you get close. STOP. The flavor will intensify as it gets distributed by the water content of the meat.

Go to the ledge, back off one notch.?

bany

I just pulled some venison for jerky and found plenty for stew or grind and really the jerky is from prime cuts which I figured out are running low. Have to make jerky for my granddaughters birthday so shes getting the good stuff.
I have plenty of wild hog so ………….

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Bit late to the party but I’m like the hillbilly in using pork belly. I try to get mine to about 75% lean to 25% fat. I tried Boston butts for the pork fat, but the sausage was way too dry for my taste. Leggs seasoning for sure, I go heavy on the extra red pepper cause I like spicy food. Keep it cold! And a manual mixer is one of the better pieces of equipment I’ve bought. And I grind only once. And I don’t care for sage much at all, but a dab here and there is tolerable.
One thing I haven’t figured out is why the same batch tastes different in patty form as opposed to link.