Savannah Vacation in June

shaggy8

I am going to Savannah in June for my vacation. I am taking my son and want some hints on set up, rig, and any help as i have never fished pier or saltwater. Not wanting to catch monsters just want to have some fun fishing with my son before he heads off to college. Will be staying on Tybee Island if that helps.

Sharkfighter

That covers A LOT but I will try and start you in a good direction.

Tybee Island Bait & Tackle can give you some help. It is across the bridge right as you get into Tybee island.

I would try the rock jetties by the light house, the back river fish pier and the regular fishing pier. At the regular pier you want to fish right behind the breakers not necessarily end of pier.

Bottom fish with a Carolina rig and 1/0 or 2/0 circle or khale hook with cut squid or shrimp will catch small sharks, whitting and maybe blackdrum and ladyfish by the jetties. Someone much better than me can tell you about trout and reds.

You cant beat a guide like Jimmy Lee Armel for an amazing fish day.

RHFisherman

Shore Fishing

I always had good luck fishing near the bend of US-80 right as it turns south on the island. I would fish for some bait fish first, usually whiting with a light rod then switch to bigger rods once I got 3 or 4 fish on ice for cut bait.

My heavier tackle would be around 20-40lb test and a 100lb leader. Calm days you can fish the bottom with the cut bait and carolina rig with a 2-3oz weight. On choppy days you can really get your adrenaline fix by wading and casting. I usually get out to chest deep and chuck the cut bait out as far as I can. Then just reel it in nice and slow. The weight of the leader, hook, and cut bait will let you cast out nice and far. The only thing you gotta worry about is sooner or later the bait is right next to your legs. I've caught a few sharks right at my ankles....just remember...feet and knees together and don't let them get between your legs. I usually catch big rays and 3-4 foot sharks doing this. Makes for a fun day of fishing.

Just remember, you're not allowed to fish for sharks from Tybee so you're fishing for rays haha.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 431
  • SANY0015_edited-1.jpg
    SANY0015_edited-1.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 433

Jimmy Lee Armel

That covers A LOT but I will try and start you in a good direction.

Tybee Island Bait & Tackle can give you some help. It is across the bridge right as you get into Tybee island.

I would try the rock jetties by the light house, the back river fish pier and the regular fishing pier. At the regular pier you want to fish right behind the breakers not necessarily end of pier.

Bottom fish with a Carolina rig and 1/0 or 2/0 circle or khale hook with cut squid or shrimp will catch small sharks, whitting and maybe blackdrum and ladyfish by the jetties. Someone much better than me can tell you about trout and reds.

You cant beat a guide like Jimmy Lee Armel for an amazing fish day.

Thanks for the kind words.