Scam from the GON classifieds.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I would have posted a link but the scam must have been discovered and deleted.

Sunday night I saw an ad on the GON classifieds for a 1992 Jeep Wrangler. The Jeep was low miles, extra clean, cheap($2k for a 6k Jeep), had $2k+ worth of new tires on it ect.
I assumed it was a scam and if not, I assumed the Jeep was sold since the ad was 2 days old.
Since the ad stated it was in Madison, only 20 minutes away, I figured I had nothing to lose by sending an enquiry.

Here is the email I got from the scammer, along with 23 pics:

Maggie Jefferson <maggiejeff77@comcast.net>
Mon, Dec 3, 12:53 PM (3 days ago)

Hello Jim,
My name is Maggie, happy to see you are interested in my 1992 Jeep Wrangler, that I have for sale. I can assure you there is no need to invest any money in it or any existent history of accidents. Has only 65,025 miles, its automatic, with 4.0L 6 cylinders engine very reliable, 4WD. A time capsule everything mechanical is original, includes both original 1992 keys, perfectly straight when braking, 4wd works perfectly. Brand new 33” tires and 16x8 wheels. Cold AC and fan speeds work great. The title is legally under my name, clear and free of any liens or loans. The price is firm, $2,000. This jeep has been used by my husband who died 2 months ago and it still brings me bad memories, so I want it gone as soon as possible. I've chosen to handle the sale online through Amazon because they are the best company when it comes to this kind of transactions. The best part about this is that you'll get 5 days for inspection for free with no further obligation or fees. If you're interested in purchasing it just email me with your full name, phone number and also your address including the zip code, so I can notify Amazon that you are selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

Thank you and have a great day,
Maggie Jefferson

Smelling a rat I sent this email:

Maggie,
Looks good. When can I come take a look at it?
Thanks, Jim

The Jeep had an IAFF decal in the back window(International Association of Firefighters) and since I was a member of the union and had the same decals I sent this email right after the previous email(I was hoping for a good story).

Me: What is that decal in the back window?

Here is the response from the scammer:

Maggie Jefferson
Dec 3, 2018, 1:10 PM (3 days ago)

Hi,
I do not know the decal in the back window, I am sorry. As I was telling you in previous email, my husband died recently. I had to move out and now I'm living with my parents in Leavenworth, KS. The vehicle is here in Leavenworth, but i advertised it on other states also to get more exposure and sell it faster. The vehicle is already at the shipping company, ready to be delivered to its future new owner. The deal is handled by Amazon so I don't have much to do about it. Using Amazon service, you get free delivery. So the price includes free delivery and you can receive the vehicle at your address in 1-3 days. In addition, you get 5 days to try it out before buying it, and if you don't like it, you can send it back at my expense. The vehicle will come with all the documents including title, bill of sale, 2 sets of keys, full
service records and everything already signed and notarized.
For more info on how it works, I can ask Amazon to send you an email with more details, but you will have to send me your full name, address and ph# so I can register you as my buyer and Amazon will contact you to explain the entire procedure
cleardot.gif

I did not reply after that.
That was weak sauce for a scam, but they must work if scumbags waster the time trying. Beware.

BTW, I was going to post this thread Monday and email GON but the ad was already removed so I procrastinated.

Watch out for scammers!

NOYDB

BANNED
Always watch for the ad copy that it was "owned by a little old lady that only drove it to church on sundays" or variation of that.

The phrase "If it sounds to good to be true, It is" are words to guide you on buying used.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
We’re you not planning to straight up scam her also?

I mean you were going after a $6000 Jeep with $2000 worth of new tires on it from a lady who’s husband just died.
So who was gonna scam who in this situation? You knew exactly what IAFF meant but asked her anyway.

Now your just assuming it was a scam and posting her information to the public as a scam when really the vehicle could be legit and sold. I bet $1000 you weren’t on your way to do the right thing and be honest to the little old lady and bring her $6000 the value you put on it. Think about it both ways. Who was ready to scam who. Would you be on your way if the price was $6000?
I doubt it.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !

I mean you were going after a $6000 Jeep with $2000 worth of new tires on it from a lady who’s husband just died.
So who was gonna scam who in this situation? You knew exactly what IAFF meant but asked her anyway.

Now your just assuming it was a scam and posting her information to the public as a scam when really the vehicle could be legit and sold. I bet $1000 you weren’t on your way to do the right thing and be honest to the little old lady and bring her $6000 the value you put on it. Think about it both ways. Who was ready to scam who. Would you be on your way if the price was $6000?
I doubt it.

Welp, there's one in every crowd.

1. The ad did not state that a widow was selling the vehicle. The ad stated it was a extra clean, low mile Jeep with all the options and new tires.
2. I assumed it was a scam before my initial response or about a 1% chance it was a legit ad and would be owned by a male.
3. They were asking $2,000 for the Jeep. If the ad was legit and the Jeep was not sold how would me purchasing the Jeep be me scamming them?
4. I asked what the decal stood for just to get their story because after there first email to me I knew it was a scam. I was hoping for a funny story from them(a lie about the decal).
5. Posting her information to the public? Are you being obtuse? "She" does not exist. It's a scammer. Probably from Nigeria.
6. Here is a Jeep I drove to Grand Rapids Michigan to purchase for about 1/2 of it's value. Did I scam the man that sold it to me? He was about my age and he restored it. I paid $8,000 for it and I could have sold it the same day for $16,000 to $18,000.
scrambler hagerty 004.JPG

If someone offers something for sale to the general public how is anyone a scammer for purchasing it?

I better not mention two Unimogs I bought for 1/3 of their value AT AN AUCTION. I must have scammed everyone there!gm2.jpg

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
WHen you see another deal on a mog, just PM me the link! :bounce:

smokey30725

There was an Acura MDX SUV on there a few weeks ago and I got a similar response from "Maggie" as well.

smokey30725

Speaking of scams, go check out what is on there now. Spiritual rats and money spells. Sounds legit.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
WHen you see another deal on a mog, just PM me the link! :bounce:

You trying to scam me out of a Mog I scammed the auction house in Swainsboro out of? :cool:

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Speaking of scams I bought a '77 Bronco for $1,300 and got a '76 free. I ought to be in jail!

Greene728

I doubt it.

You can't be serious???

Maggie, is that you?

Last edited:

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Just pulling a chronic bargain hunters chain I suppose. When everyone around is looking for that deal of the decade and no one is willing to remotely buy squat used at fair and reasonable value, I may or may not play my hand and have an off day of attitude.
More or less. Then when it came to a widow I kinda went overboard with my thought. My point was basically if the Jeep was listed fairly at $6000 it would not catch a second look from anyone.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Just pulling a chronic bargain hunters chain I suppose. When everyone around is looking for that deal of the decade and no one is willing to remotely buy squat used at fair and reasonable value, I may or may not play my hand and have an off day of attitude.
More or less. Then when it came to a widow I kinda went overboard with my thought. My point was basically if the Jeep was listed fairly at $6000 it would not catch a second look from anyone.

I wish I could have posted the original ad. It was just a straight up sale in Madison.
In the scam email it turned into a widow in Kansas selling a Jeep for $2,000 via Amazon with free shipping ANYWHERE in the USA.

I have been buying, selling, parting out and restoring cars and trucks since 1978. I have gotten a lot of "steals" in that time. Much better deals than the Jeep.

I posted this thread because I thought it was interesting and it might save someone(who would have to be very naïve) from losing money on that type of scam.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I saw the same advertisement, it reeked of a scam.

Yep. A variation of the scam that you see on CL all the time. They should have made the price higher to help reel folks in. The widow/sell through Amazon/free shipping/car is at the shipper story would take a complete idiot to send funds though.
Since this one was supposedly local I figured I'd play ball on the off chance it was legit.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I put a power recliner on CL for sale. Every response I got was a scam.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I want one of the Harley bikes from the secret factory in Czechoslovakia.

I've got one. Brand new in the crate. It's down at my sister's house in Texas.
Mail me $2,500 in cash and I'll have it shipped to your door at no charge.

Sorry, I don't have any pics and my sister can't get the crate open.

NOYDB

BANNED
I've got one. Brand new in the crate. It's down at my sister's house in Texas.
Mail me $2,500 in cash and I'll have it shipped to your door at no charge.

Sorry, I don't have any pics and my sister can't get the crate open.

Back when ebay was hot I spent time serving as an online help volunteer. There really was a scam offering Harleys from the secret factory. Italy was also listed as a secret factory location. Usually it was as a service person stationed in Italy that just had to sell their bike because their orders had changed.

It was amazing what people would believe if they thought they could save money. Or they thought they would pull one over on the seller.