Scope for air rifle

au7126

Want to up grade the scope on my Stoger 177 air rifle. Went to gun store that has an on site gunsmith and was told that did not have a scope for air guns. I was not aware there was a difference. Anyone know of a source for a good scope seller. Currently has a 1 inch fixed 4X32.

killerv

scopes can be hard on an springer. I will say a put a cheaper centerpoint 3-12 on one and it has held up for about 5 or so years now. It was 60 bucks at the time.

JR924

I think your gun is a springer and probably a break barrel. Scope needs to be springer rated due to the back and forth recoil. UTG makes good budget scopes and the ones on my magnum springers work well. This the one I would recommend.

Hawke scopes are good but more expensive. Another cheap option is the Hammers 3x9x32. Amazon carries them. https://www.amazon.com/Hammers-3-9x...11143068&sprefix=hammers+scope,aps,115&sr=8-3.

There are cheaper options like the Winchester 2x7x32 but not sure it will hold up to a springer. Read the reviews.

Airguns of Arizona and Pyramid Air have a big selection of airgun scopes. You can call them and get a recommendation however shipping costs may make Amazon cheaper. check Walmart online too. The below forum is good for advice and information on airguns. Go to the tradional topic for your gun. I think there are several existing threads that have discussed this topic.

JR924

Thanks for the help. Have one on the way. How do you bore sight an air rifle? We will find out
I never have. I just get an old cardboard box and fill it with jeans, coats or some other heavy cross. I start at 10 yards initially to get close and then out to 25 yards where I zero it. My maximum hunting range for my regular springers are 30 yards and 50 yards (if I have a good rest) for my magnum springers for small game and pests. My backyard range is linited to 25 yards. Note, you will have a lot of wind drift at longer distances so a lot harder to zero a scope than with even a 22 cal rimfire. With Pcps, range and power are extended especially with 25 cal and up and using slugs but that is another rabbit hole.

One important point is a lot of break barrel springers have bad barrel droop and you end up running out of adjustement or to the limit of your elevation adjustments which will fail the scope eventually. If that happens you need to buy a barrel droop compensating mount (preferred) or adjustable scope rings ($$$$$) or shim the rear scope mount (part of coke can). Another solution is just to shoot with iron sights. Some have bent the barrels successfully. I always go with the droop compensating mount.

krizia829

Yes, airguns have a dual recoil system. You can put an expensive rifle scope on it and it will break it. You need an air gun rated scope.

I don't know of any good brands as thankfully the one that came with my Beeman is dead on. Hope you find one that you like!