Scope for Ruger 44 Carbine?

krizia829

Hey everyone! Some of you know I acquired last year my grandfather's 1970's Ruger 44 Carbine. I was debating whether to put a scope on it or leave it as is with iron sights. I decided since my vision is not all that great, I will get a scope for it.

However, I'm on a budget so I wanted to see what low power scopes you guys can recommend to me under $200 that will hold a nice group at 100yds. I'd like something 1-6 maybe even a bit stronger.

This will be for deer under 100 yards and for hogs and even for our smaller bodied FL deer in the glades.

I'm not looking for a precision type of scope. I just need something that I can feel confident with at that distance if need be.

I appreciate the feedback!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

frankwright

Leupold VX-1 2-7x33mm Compact Waterproof Fogproof Riflescope, Matte Black (113863)
I think something like this would work well for you. 2X for close up fast shooting and more power for longer distance.
about $180 on Amazon and maybe cheaper elsewhere.

7Mag Hunter

I have an older model Bushnell 4X scope on mine....Had variable power
scopes (3X9 etc), but the length really took away from the compact feel of the Ruger 44 carbine....Had the 4X scope on it for probably 15 yrs
and it is perfect for a tree stand or ground hunt rifle...

transfixer

Scope glass has come a long way in recent years, and a lot of big name manufacturers are having their lower line scopes made overseas, and just because its overseas made doesn't mean its junk anymore, I own Leupolds, and I own cheaper scopes, I've got a Weaver tactical scope (made overseas)with a 30mm tube that rivals my VariX111 3.5x10x40 when using it at dusk, also a very crisp and sharp picture. I would search for a compact scope with a 30mm tube, something 1-6 or 2-7, and check reviews on it, you can save a good bit of money if you don't get hung up on big names.

krizia829

I have an older model Bushnell 4X scope on mine....Had variable power
scopes (3X9 etc), but the length really took away from the compact feel of the Ruger 44 carbine....Had the 4X scope on it for probably 15 yrs
and it is perfect for a tree stand or ground hunt rifle...
nice! I'm having trouble finding a 1 piece picatinny rail for it. My eye relief is horrible. Is there only the 2 piece mount from Weaver? I saw a 1 piece on ebay but I don't know how I feel about it.. Can I see a picture of your set up?

Hey everyone! Some of you know I acquired last year my grandfather's 1970's Ruger 44 Carbine. I was debating whether to put a scope on it or leave it as is with iron sights. I decided since my vision is not all that great, I will get a scope for it.

However, I'm on a budget so I wanted to see what low power scopes you guys can recommend to me under $200 that will hold a nice group at 100yds. I'd like something 1-6 maybe even a bit stronger.

This will be for deer under 100 yards and for hogs and even for our smaller bodied FL deer in the glades.

I'm not looking for a precision type of scope. I just need something that I can feel confident with at that distance if need be.

I appreciate the feedback!

My eyes are no longer good with irons or peep sights in low light, so I now hunt exclusively with scoped rifles. IMHO, it does not take much magnification to shoot VERY tight groups at 100-150 yards.

My favorite woods hunting scopes are 1-4 or very similar. I've shot more sub 1" groups at 100 yards with scopes of 4-5× than I can even guesstimate. A clear scope with a good reticle and a consistent hold will shoot very tight groups at 100 yards, without a doubt.

I'd recommend three scopes I have a great deal of experience with that can be bought for 2 Benjamins. One is the nice, compact Weaver 1-3×20. I have one on a Marlin .375 and another on a Henry BB in .45.

The second would be a Leupold 1-4×20 and I prefer the one with the Heavy Duplex reticle. I own 3 of those, one on a M99/.308, one on a Marlin .356 and one on a Valmet combination 12ga/.308.

The 3rd scope is the best in low light, a Vortex Crossfire II 1-4×24 with illuminated reticle. If you do an internet search for the Vortex, you should be able to find one for 200.

These two groups were shot with an 1895G with a 1-4×24 scope with IR. 3/4" on top, 3/8" below, after I adjusted 1" down.

0317160949-1-1.jpg

Darkhorse

Mine wore a Leupold 3X9X40 bought mailorder around '81, in fact we bought 2 of them. The .44 wore this scope all of it's hunting years and it worked great. Right now it wears a Aimpoint red dot sight. Personally I like a scope better.
I think the Leupold 2.5X20 with heavy duplex sounds like a perfect scope for that rifle.
I don't know of a one piece mount for that rifle and I've looked for one. The 2 piece from Weaver is what's on mine. I would get some better rings for it though.

lonewolf247

A 2-7x scope would be about perfect for me on that rifle. 1-4x would be fine also, I just usually prefer a little more magnification, when shooting out to 100 yards.

In the $200 range, your best bet might be a used Leupold or Zeiss, on ebay, or wherever you find one. The used market can be a great place to look, BUT.. you have to make sure the brand carries a TRANSFERABLE Lifetime Warranty, because several brands don't.

Buckman18

I think you’d be well suited to buy a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40. I have one on a 45-70, which kicks a lot harder than a 44, and I’ve killed all kinds of stuff with it, and it’s held it’s zero for the three years I’ve owned it. Use the extra $100 you saved and buy a couple boxes of white box Winchester 240 gr 50 packs and a trip to Taco Bell.

If you insist on spending more money, I’d get the leupold.

killerv

If you are already wanting stronger than a 1-6, just get a 2-7x32 leupold. Try to find a vx1 or 2, the freedoms would look terrible on a classic gun like that.

I put a fixed 1x20 on my 44 rifle. All I wanted was a crosshair. It's plenty for a 100yard gun.

Hillbilly stalker

I have a Nikon pro staff 3x9x40 on mine for 8-9 years. I zeroed it one time and it has never changed. I looked thru a Vortex on my buddies rifle and it is going to be my next purchase. Another buddy of mine went thru 3 new Weaver scopes in a row in a week. they couldn't handle the rifle and blew the crosshairs. There are 2 screws right above the bolt. Do not let anyone remove them and mount a rail on them. That's not what their for. Use the other screw holes. It's a great rifle and one you don't wanna sale . I call mine the
"Baconater".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 12

krizia829

I have a Nikon pro staff 3x9x40 on mine for 8-9 years. I zeroed it one time and it has never changed. I looked thru a Vortex on my buddies rifle and it is going to be my next purchase. Another buddy of mine went thru 3 new Weaver scopes in a row in a week. they couldn't handle the rifle and blew the crosshairs. There are 2 screws right above the bolt. Do not let anyone remove them and mount a rail on them. That's not what their for. Use the other screw holes. It's a great rifle and one you don't wanna sale . I call mine the
"Baconater".
Hahaha I like that name for it :LOL: I'm leaning towards Vortex or Leupold. It's just so hard to choose! Being on a budget sucks but I want to put the optic it deserves!

Hillbilly stalker

I tell ya, I need reading Glasses to do anything. I can see thru that Vortex better than my vari X 3 leupold. It’s $160 at cabelas and super clear. It’s the only scope I’ve looked thru that reading glasses don’t help. It has that eye piece adjustment on the very end next to your eye and it makes a HUGE difference. Check one of them out

krizia829

I tell ya, I need reading Glasses to do anything. I can see thru that Vortex better than my vari X 3 leupold. It’s $160 at cabelas and super clear. It’s the only scope I’ve looked thru that reading glasses don’t help. It has that eye piece adjustment on the very end next to your eye and it makes a HUGE difference. Check one of them out
Hahaha I believe you! My vision is horrible so I can relate :LOL: