Septic installation question

Toliver

We are looking for property to buy. We looked at a piece today that was steep terrain but had some nice ridges we figured we could put a house on. How does the field line work in that case? Are they put in intervals going down the side of the ridge? Are they as effective? It's a beautiful place and my wife wants it but I'm trying to be practical in how tough it's going to be to build there without a lot of extra work or expense.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
We are looking for property to buy. We looked at a piece today that was steep terrain but had some nice ridges we figured we could put a house on. How does the field line work in that case? Are they put in intervals going down the side of the ridge? Are they as effective? It's a beautiful place and my wife wants it but I'm trying to be practical in how tough it's going to be to build there without a lot of extra work or expense.
Are there any houses in the area with the same set up that u want.
May want to ask them if possible.

Whitefeather

Management Material
The lines will have to be installed level. In a case like that they will probably run them parallel to the ridges. If they run them down hill all the water will come out at the bottom

tree cutter 08

County will have to tell you where to put it. A perk test is something you will want before you buy. But basically drainline runs parallel with the terrain. Sometimes you can get it in one run but usually takes a few. Ours is so steep I had to cut 2 roads just to get a level place to dig.

Toliver

No comparable houses. This is a 33 acre tract the owner is cutting out of his larger property so it's the back side and quite steep in some places. The better flatter area is prone to water issues. And no well will be needed. There is a county water line easement running right through the middle of the property. It's beautiful but it scares me since I don't have the knowledge to know how things play out to build in such a location.

GT90

No comparable houses. This is a 33 acre tract the owner is cutting out of his larger property so it's the back side and quite steep in some places. The better flatter area is prone to water issues. And no well will be needed. There is a county water line easement running right through the middle of the property. It's beautiful but it scares me since I don't have the knowledge to know how things play out to build in such a location.
I don't either, but might there be more issues than just septic? Might want to start another thread on "What to worry about while building on a steep lot"?

Toliver

The ridge itself is flat and wide enough for a nice house. I just couldn't see in my mind how the septic would work. It wouldn't be an issue if the septic could go on the other side where the county water line is buried but I am fairly certain those lines can't cross.

au7126

If you do not have to drill well you are way ahead. The worst you might expect on the septic system is adding a "pump" 10k should cover it. You will have an instant lot that is ready for a basement and drive in garage.

westcobbdog

sounds like you are describing my listing in Jasper on Talking Rock Creek!
In your due diligence period have a perc test inside that window where if it doesnt perc you dont buy and get your earnest money back in full or make that a contingency by itself. It could read "all parties agree Buyer shall not be obligated to complete the purchase property at ___ if he finds property unsuitable for his intended use. Lot of diff ways to write that actually..

Whitefeather

Management Material
Potable water and sewerage lines must be completely separated by a certain distance. Best thing is to hire a county approved soil scientist to do a soil survey to determine the best place to put the drain field and what depth. Most counties don’t accept percolation testing anymore.
If you have it under contract then West Cobb dog’s advice is invaluable. Given the known nature of soils, the drain field will probably be best on top of the ridge.

Toliver

WCD, I have probably looked at your listing. Lord knows I've probably looked at 500 properties in the last few months.

And I forgot to mention the owner said the property is very rocky but it's slate so it shouldn't be hard to dig through.

The adjoining property is an old county dump. I've been told from 2 sources that 20 ares can never be developed per EPA regulations but we're going to do more research on its history and potential environmental impact so close to where the house would be.

This is a lot what ifs trying to see if this is doable to make the wife happy.

westcobbdog

WCD, I have probably looked at your listing. Lord knows I've probably looked at 500 properties in the last few months.

And I forgot to mention the owner said the property is very rocky but it's slate so it shouldn't be hard to dig through.

The adjoining property is an old county dump. I've been told from 2 sources that 20 ares can never be developed per EPA regulations but we're going to do more research on its history and potential environmental impact so close to where the house would be.

This is a lot what ifs trying to see if this is doable to make the wife happy.
Toliver make certain you have the correct and proper verbiage in a contract to allow you to perform any kind of due diligence test you like. And if your 14 or 21 days or 30 day "free look" period is not enough either extend that Due diligence period or walk from the deal. Hoping you have an experienced agent in your corner, it's free to you with the seller paying that brokers commission.
If you need any ideas or suggestions let me know. My listing up that way is 1192 Talking Rock Falls NE.
To do a perc test you need a soil scientist. To install the septic a co like "Kaylor Septic" would be a great option. Small local husband and wife company near Pickens County.

jbogg

There’s some good advice already given above. If you end up writing a contract, just make sure your due diligence period gives you ample time to complete everything without risking your earnest money, or worse. You could also include a separate special stipulation to specify the need to receive county approval for septic before closing.

Soil tests are not cheap these days, but it would be money well spent if you are serious about moving forward. If the soil is rocky, the county may require a backhoe test pit should the soil scientist experience problems using a hand auger.

Several of the counties I used to build it had what was called a “site prior to purchase” review. Usually, for a very small amount of money (years ago it was $25) you could submit your soil test and building plan for the county to review. One call to the county health department would let you know if this is an option. The building plan would be drawn to scale and would include the footprint of the home, including where the septic tank and field lines are to be located in proximity to the home, building setbacks, Wells,…. Once the county gives you their blessing you would be good to go, and move forward with closing without wondering whether or not you could build what you want, where you want.

33 acres sure sounds like that could be a lot of fun. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

madsam

u need to go to the county its located in and them to tell u. Also,
get a perk test.....Write a contract for the land so u don't loose it
and put these items in the special stips.....or DD days.

Toliver

Thank you all for your assistance. Based on answers from y'all and the reality of what I can do on that property considering the county water line down the middle of the flat usable area, the steep hills, water run off, the old dump concerns and easement access issues, I think we're going to pass on this one. It's 33 acres for 129,000 in the middle of Rockmart if anyone's looking. Not in the city limits and surprisingly quiet for where it is. If I was looking to just use it for recreation I would be all over it. I just can't see living there and using it the way I'm looking to.

trial&error

perc test is the old way. I had to use a soil scientist and they drilled 6-10 holes looking for the right type of clay.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Septic can be a challenge.. Plenty of good advice above

Quite honestly, I’d be concerned with the cost of the foundation these days. Especially if you want a basement..